Contribute
Register

Hackintosh doesn't boot after clover update. How to boot and fix with USB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z87-G43
CPU
i5-4670K
Graphics
HD 7950
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
So my system was working fine with clover r5120. I updated it with the pkg to r5121 and updated a Realtek kext. Now it doesn't boot, the screen stays black.

I have an EFI Folder backup (of a working EFI) on a USB stick. How can I fix my system? Like, how can I revert the boot loader back to r5120 and revert the kext back? How do I boot via the USB?

Same issue here. Updated to clover to 5121 and now the system fails to boot. It keeps rebooting and never gets past this loop.

You can boot using your backup EFI on your USB. To do so:
  • Plug in your USB into the host machine;
  • Boot into BIOS and select to boot from the USB;
  • From there select your macOS install;
  • Once booted, mount the EFI on the HDD/SSD and replace it with the backup from your USB. (This will perform a revert/downgrade in Clover to your backup version.)
To boot from your backup EFI on your USB, your USB must be partitioned GUID and your backup EFI must be in the EFI partition. To do this, you'll need another machine to:
  • Plug in your USB into the other machine;
  • Copy your EFI backup onto your desktop (and any other files you'd like to keep);
  • Using Disk Utility format your USB using a GUID partition scheme;
  • Now using either corpnewt/MountEFI or Clover Configurator, mount the EFI on your formatted USB;
  • Copy over your backup EFI into the EFI partition of your USB.
You should now be able to boot with your USB.

Success! You are amazing AUllah! My Hackintosh is now working perfectly again. A huge Thanks to you.
Once I booted from the USB drive, I used the backup of the EFI that was automatically created when I updated with the pkg this morning. I found it here: /Volumes/High Sierra/EFI-Backups/

Amazing @apfelquark8 and congratulations! Glad you're backup with your hackintosh and thank you for sharing the location of your automated EFI backup, I'm sure it'll help others. :D

I have 5122 clover when I upgrade to 5126 the screen start giving me red color error and no boot nothing what I have to do to please some help

Amazing @apfelquark8 and congratulations! Glad you're backup with your hackintosh and thank you for sharing the location of your automated EFI backup, I'm sure it'll help others. :D
I have 5122 clover when I upgrade to 5126 the screen start giving me red color error and no boot nothing what I have to do to please some help

You can boot using your backup EFI on your USB. To do so:
  • Plug in your USB into the host machine;
  • Boot into BIOS and select to boot from the USB;
  • From there select your macOS install;
  • Once booted, mount the EFI on the HDD/SSD and replace it with the backup from your USB. (This will perform a revert/downgrade in Clover to your backup version.)
To boot from your backup EFI on your USB, your USB must be partitioned GUID and your backup EFI must be in the EFI partition. To do this, you'll need another machine to:
  • Plug in your USB into the other machine;
  • Copy your EFI backup onto your desktop (and any other files you'd like to keep);
  • Using Disk Utility format your USB using a GUID partition scheme;
  • Now using either corpnewt/MountEFI or Clover Configurator, mount the EFI on your formatted USB;
  • Copy over your backup EFI into the EFI partition of your USB.
You should now be able to boot with your USB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back