Dell XPS 9700 4K (OpenCore)
CPU
i7-10875H
Graphics
UHD 630, 3840x2400
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hey!

So I have an i7 5820K overclocked to something like 4.5GHz, but High Sierra only uses 3.3GHz all the time, because thats what shows up in the Overview Window - "3,31 GHz 6-Core Intel Xenon". I also have downloaded Intel's Power-Gadget to monitor the CPUs frequency, and even when I run Geekbench, the 3.3GHz won't change.

My Motherboard is an Asus Rampage V Extreme. I do have an SSDT, but no DSDT, which probably is the reason for the bad Power-Management and the hibernate-issues.

So my questions are: How am I going to get that OC also accepted in High Sierra, and has someone already done a fully working Hackintosh with an Rampage V Extreme? Maybe you can share that DSDT :).

Thank you guys for your help!

Please read and comply with the rules, in particular the one regarding profiles.
Link to profile

@P1LGRIM

Sry, I am new to this forum, didn't know that. I have updated my profile now.

@P1LGRIM

Sry, I am new to this forum, didn't know that. I have updated my profile now.
I have a Gigabyte board, so this might not apply to you, but when I ran into this in the past, I had to change some BIOS settings for OSX to recognize my overclock settings. The one I had to change was called "EIST Disable."

@killacam7478

Omg, thank you <3! That Setting, which now is disabled, made my OC working! EIST is just short for "Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology", so for all others on this forum, you might find it under the full wrote out term in your BIOS.

Thank you a lot, now my Hackintosh is even faster, I am so happy with it c:
You guys over here are awesome!

I have a Gigabyte board, so this might not apply to you, but when I ran into this in the past, I had to change some BIOS settings for OSX to recognize my overclock settings. The one I had to change was called "EIST Disable."
@killacam7478, which OSX are you running your hardware with OC on? Mojave?

I'm wondering if I should just be satisfied with the "steady state" of 4.3GHz (BIOS F7 CPU Upgrade = Auto, EIST = Enabled) since Pro Tools 2018.12 pegs the CPU when a session is open. Turbo doesn't kick in with Pro Tools, but sometimes more "Core Utilization" is reported with Intel's Power Gadget. Maybe I just didn't win the silicon lottery, or maybe it's the 2400 speed Corsair RAM. Temps are always really good, but I don't think I've ever made it past 4.7 GHz, even when setting the CPU Upgrade feature in BIOS to 8700K 5GHz. The machine is nice and quiet and hopefully will last a long time if I don't abuse the CPU with misreported voltage.

Any thoughts on this?

Check your AVX offset setting in the bios

Thanks for that. AVX Offset is on Auto. Wondering if I should change it from "Auto" to 0.
EIST is disabled, Hyperthreading is on for FCPX and Compressor. I wonder if my 2400 speed RAM could be the limiting factor -it's set to Normal and hovers at 2401. Or maybe I didn't win the silicon lottery on the i7 8700K.

GeekBench 4 scores are:

6345 Single
27647 Multi
Open CL 141293

Cinebench v15 scores are:

OpenGL: 143.52 fps
CPU: 1413 cb
CPU Single Core: 207 cb
MP Ratio: 6.82x

Attachment shows Intel Power Gadget while running OS 10.14.3, Pro Tools 2018.12 -which will make a system run pretty much flat-out, is running alongside one instance of Vienna Ensemble Pro 6 6.0.17226.

Your thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. Please and thank you...

I'm having the same issue - the processor speed is showing up as 3.7GHz in MacOS rather that 5GHz as in the BIOS. I'm running Mojave (10.14). I changed Advanced Frequency Settings >> Advanced CPU Core Settings >> CPU EIST Function = Disabled. Is that the one people are referring to? I can't see anything mentioning EIST anywhere else. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back