Contribute
Register

Hackintosh detects tv only when tv is off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 3
CPU
i7 4790K
Graphics
GTX 750ti
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Happily using my first hackintosh build now for almost a year, only dealing with some minor work arounds. But the other day I ran into an interesting issue.
I tried to hook up my tv (LG M2550D) to the computer as a secondary monitor (4th monitor actually), and in osx it will only detects the screen when the tv is off. As soon as I turn the telly on, osx loses connection to the tv.
I tried it with an hdmi-hdmi cable and a displayport-hdmi cable, but both give the same result.

When I boot in windows, everything is running fine and the tv gives a perfect image, so I reckon it must be a software issue / setting in osx somewhere. However, I don't know where to look or where to start. Therefore I hope someone around here can suggest some possible solutions or any kind of suggestions I can try really :D.

Next week I will try a different tv for the sake of debugging (and maybe ending up buying a different tv :p)

So I tried another TV and it won't give me an image either under osx. When running windows, everything is ok.
When I connect the tv to the computer I see my other screens turning black for a second, as if the system is recognizing a new screen. However, in 'display preferences' it won't show the newly added screen, even when I press the option key and let it detect displays again.

I still have no clue where to look for or what to try to as possible solutions. So if anybody could suggest some things to try, that would be really much appreciated :)

I couldn't find a solution, so I guess I have to add a computer monitor instead of a tv.
Still it would be interesting to know if anybody else ran into the same problems! And maybe some day someone will find a solution :)

Reference design for the GTX 750 ti only supports 3 displays.
Nvidia drivers for OSX 99.99% of the time only allow for reference ports to be enabled. Thus your fourth port will not function in OS X. In order to achieve 4 outputs you will have to upgrade to a card whose reference design includes 4+ outputs.

Thanks for your response! I never thought of that. It's a pity if that would really be the case. Though I tried it with my other screens disconnected, with the same results. So it's not the only problem in this situation.

I now can confirm that a quad display set up works perfectly fine with the 750ti! Got 4 1080p computer screens connected to my build atm (dvi, 2 x hdmi, 1 x dp). Works like a charm! My hackintosh just didn't like tv screens I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back