Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Hackintosh Crashing (Photoshop/Final Cut/4K)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like I spoke too soon guys. It's back to crashing randomly. :mad::banghead::mad: I'm really ready to give up with this machine but I've spent so much money on it that it's hard to think about starting over from scratch or even maybe buying an older Mac Pro.

I did try a clean install of High Sierra again which didn't work as usual and also tried a different Samsung SSD I had, still the same crashes. I just know that it happens randomly when working with Photoshop files, Final Cut Pro projects with a lot of clips/transitions/overlays etc. and rare instances when watching 4k video. The only other thing I know to try is a different power supply but I highly doubt that could be an issue.

Anyway, if there is anyone out there that's ever run into a problem like this and has the same setup I would appreciate your help.

I did some digging around on the forum and found that disabling Open CL in Photoshop helped people with crashing. It seems to work for the time being but I need to keep testing more files before calling this solved.

Alright, 2 days in and no crashes. This is what has finally done the trick for me (fingers crossed). I did some digging around and found out that there is a toggle switch on my video card that apparently switches the card from UEFI to Legacy from what I understand. It was toggled to the right and I flipped it to the left as you can see in this picture. From then on everything has worked perfectly with no crashes. I have no idea why this switch even exists but I'm glad that I found it, otherwise I was ready to sell this card and try something else. Obviously I still need to keep testing things out this week but everything I've been working on is stable on Mojave 10.14.2 - if anyone else has this issue I advise flipping this switch to see if it helps.

Attachments

• VC.jpg
    VC.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 226
I have no idea why this switch even exists but I'm glad that I found it, otherwise I was ready to sell this card and try something else.

Glad that solved your problem however, normally that switch is a bios switch it allows the card to have dual bios's and allows you to switch between them. Normally one is locked and can not be changed while the other one can be altered to use a different bios flash.

Glad that solved your problem however, normally that switch is a bios switch it allows the card to have dual bios's and allows you to switch between them. Normally one is locked and can not be changed while the other one can be altered to use a different bios flash.
Weird. Yeah, I have no experience with it. If anyone has info on what this particular switch does I'd like to know. I couldn't find any info on it, nor could I find a manual for my RX 580... I must have thrown mine away by accident.

One last reply on this. I'm a week in and officially calling this solved as flipping the graphics card switch fixed all of my issues - no crashes whatsoever. I still have no idea why or how this fixed it but if anyone is having this issue I suggest trying it. Hopefully this thread can help someone.

I've ordered the same card i hope it doesn't create any issue lol

Daniel, your post saved my day. I was having problems with final cut pro of rebooting ramdomly after doing some work, flipped the switch in the card and now I was able to finish start to end my workflow in fcp. Thanks for taking the time to document this.

I was happy to see this solution. I have the same graphics card and issue. But when I checked on the graphics card the switch isn't there. In the place where it's supposed to be it says SW1 but no switch. o_O

I use Pixelmator Pro. Everytime I try to resize an image using ML (machine learning) the hack reboots.

Attachments

• PXL_20201014_201817706.jpg
    PXL_20201014_201817706.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 65
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back