Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Hackintosh Crashing (Photoshop/Final Cut/4K)

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Enabled Internal Graphics in BIOS
2. This was an upgrade from High Sierra but the same crashes happened on High Sierra as well.
3. Yes, my display is connected to the RX 580 via HDMI.
4. I tried Orinoco and still crashing

Which SMBIOS settings have you tried:
  • iMac14,2
  • iMac18,1
  • iMac18,3
  • iMacPro1,1
  • Macmini8,1
It may also be a good idea to consider a fresh re-install (not an upgrade) onto a spare disk. 120GB and 240GB SSDs are between $20 and $40 these days. Even a spare HDD will suffice.

Final Cut Pro users found that setting iGPU to headless mode and changing SMBIOS to iMac18,3 or iMacPro1,1 finally fixed their crashes. There's a long discussion that starts here at post 304 and continues for about 10 pages. It might be worth reviewing this to see if it sounds familiar. The problem here is about Final Cut Pro, however...

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/page-31#post-1883381

A complete reinstall should only take 1-2 hours, so it may be a better use of time, and you could follow most of this guide (the good stuff is in the Spoilers):
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...390-thunderbolt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/

I’ve tried...

iMac 18,1
iMac 18,3

And before that I was using Mac Pro 5,1 I believe. That’s because JPG files would not open in Preview because of a Mojave bug, so that’s why I used that definition. I may try the others above just in case.

That’s really the only other thing I haven’t done is do a clean install. I made a bootable usb stick the other day and planned on trying it but my computer wouldn’t read it or recognize it for some reason. It’s never done that to me before but I’ll try again if nothing else works. Thanks again for all of your help.

Last edited:
Went ahead and tried the above definitions just because. Some crashed the same as others and I think it was the Macmini definition that was the worst and wouldn't even start Photoshop. lol so... could be a system definition issue? I really don't know anymore.

Went ahead and tried the above definitions just because. Some crashed the same as others and I think it was the Macmini definition that was the worst and wouldn't even start Photoshop. lol so... could be a system definition issue? I really don't know anymore.
I really think your best bet now is to do a fresh install to a spare disk because:
  • Same crashes happened in High Sierra as well.
  • We've been assuming that you had a bad Mojave installation, but in fact you may have had a bad High Sierra installation -- or High Sierra got corrupted.
  • We've applied all of the reasonable solutions, but none has worked so far.
  • Other people with the same motherboard and CPU and GPU are not reporting this problem! So something is afoul in your particular setup! :)
  • You can continue to chase after a needle in a haystack or you can start with a completely fresh installation that should take 1-2 hours.
  • You should follow a clear guide for the fresh installation and minimize any "experimental" settings.
  • Don't rush to install Photoshop when the installation is completed.
  • Instead, do a thorough post-installation -- make sure sound works, graphics work, Ethernet works, WiFi/BT works, iTunes Store and App Store are okay, Messages and FaceTime work, and shutdown/reboot/sleep/wake work.
  • Now, when post-installation is nice and complete, make a complete BACKUP of the system. This will be your Restore Point for any problems that occur in the next few steps.
  • Now finally install Photoshop and any other apps, ONE by ONE, and test each one before installing the next.

I really think your best bet now is to do a fresh install to a spare disk because:
  • Same crashes happened in High Sierra as well.
  • We've been assuming that you had a bad Mojave installation, but in fact you may have had a bad High Sierra installation -- or High Sierra got corrupted.
  • We've applied all of the reasonable solutions, but none has worked so far.
  • Other people with the same motherboard and CPU and GPU are not reporting this problem! So something is afoul in your particular setup! :)
  • You can continue to chase after a needle in a haystack or you can start with a completely fresh installation that should take 1-2 hours.
  • You should follow a clear guide for the fresh installation and minimize any "experimental" settings.
  • Don't rush to install Photoshop when the installation is completed.
  • Instead, do a thorough post-installation -- make sure sound works, graphics work, Ethernet works, WiFi/BT works, iTunes Store and App Store are okay, Messages and FaceTime work, and shutdown/reboot/sleep/wake work.
  • Now, when post-installation is nice and complete, make a complete BACKUP of the system. This will be your Restore Point for any problems that occur in the next few steps.
  • Now finally install Photoshop and any other apps, ONE by ONE, and test each one before installing the next.
Yeah, I agree. My High Sierra installation actually worked for several months and then this problem the last few. I never used any experimental settings or other kexts, all of my parts worked out of the box.

Anyway, I appreciate everyone’s help and patience in this thread. I will hopefully reply back when I get a clean install up and running. :)

Based on your video that is what it looks like when my system crashes at this point if I reboot daily I will never see a crash but if I leave the system up it will crash. I have tried a lot of things and read a lot of threads one thing I have noticed is that the vast majorty of people that have this issue have been using Gigabyte mother boards. I may very well have to take over my Girl Friends computer and swap hard drives and video cards and see if I can get stability past 4 days. Maybe our issues are not the same but then again maybe they are. Before I changed out the CPU the crashes would happen 3,4,5 times aday then I dropped an I3 in RMA the I7 and now the crashes happen around 4 days. There is a post I made about crashes one screen black one white there you can read about the loads and loads of configurations I have gone threw. Maybe the issue I have now has nothing to do with the issue I had previously I really have no idea.

As a shot in the dark, I have finally found that my hack reboots like that if I am using system monitoring like iStat, Ubersitch, etc. Have not found out why, but have only had 1 reboot, where I have had usually 20 in the same time frame using only HWMonitor. Not sure if this is an issue with yours, but it took a long time to troubleshoot this.

I had, seemingly out of nowhere, a plethora of crashes and reboots. Knock on wood, but I tracked my problem to the BIOS. A reflash of both the board and GPU BIOS solved my issues. I see that you replaced your video card entirely so perhaps at the very least giving the motherboard a reflash would help

I had, seemingly out of nowhere, a plethora of crashes and reboots. Knock on wood, but I tracked my problem to the BIOS. A reflash of both the board and GPU BIOS solved my issues. I see that you replaced your video card entirely so perhaps at the very least giving the motherboard a reflash would help
Would reflashing affect anything? I’ve never messed with that sort of thing, so just wondering if I need to backup any settings etc.

As a shot in the dark, I have finally found that my hack reboots like that if I am using system monitoring like iStat, Ubersitch, etc. Have not found out why, but have only had 1 reboot, where I have had usually 20 in the same time frame using only HWMonitor. Not sure if this is an issue with yours, but it took a long time to troubleshoot this.
Yeah, I've never used any of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back