Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Hackintosh Crashing (Photoshop/Final Cut/4K)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys! I'm in need of some major help with my Hackintosh which I put together about a year ago. The build was super easy and had no issues with installing but I've been having random crashes recently when I'm using Photoshop and Final Cut Pro. Mainly when I'm re-sizing things in Photoshop it will just shut down and reboot. At first I thought it could be my graphic's card and went ahead and upgraded it to a Sapphire Pulse RX 580 but it's still crashing. I also tested my ram with memtest and also took each stick out to test them one by one in each slot & that didn't help either. I'm honestly out of options and have no idea what this could be. I've posted a short video below that shows what I'm experiencing. Here are my specs and what I'm running...

Gigabyte GA-H170 Gaming 3

Intel Core i7 8700K

Sapphire Pulse RX 580

Corsair CS 750M Power Supply

Corsair Vengeance LPX 48GB Memory

All of my parts are brand spankin' new. I was on High Sierra 10.13.6 and tried updating to Mojave thinking that might help but it didn't. Mojave is stable other than this problem though. If there is anyone who could help me with this or would have any other suggestions I would appreciate it! It's just frustrating as my main job is graphic design.

Thanks so much!

Please read and comply with the rules, in particular the one regarding profiles.
Link to profile

this is a long shot, but I've had similar problems whenever H.264 encoding started, the computer would reset. It would also sometimes reset due to disk activity, slowly glitching then grinding to a halt. I wasn't sure if the two were related or both were happening at different times. I first reformatted and set up my internal graphics again properly as headless for x264 encoding, (along with my NVidia 1050ti as main card) and also checked the drive.

It's an intel 600p NVMe, and i ran a test on a windows partition using Intel SSD Manager. The same crash happened while testing it. Sometimes the computer would hard reset, other times it would freeze entirely but not reset. There was a firmware update due, so i updated the firmware and since then it's been more stable.

I would check your internal gfx options, and work on getting it working properly as a headless graphics card, and it will operate like a native mac, doing the encoding work using the intel CPU. The first time round I set this up, all my x264 encoding went glitchy but since a reformat and doing it again properly with intel fb patcher it's been great. I still don't fully trust the NVMe drive but after firmware update it is behaving a lot better.

this is a long shot, but I've had similar problems whenever H.264 encoding started, the computer would reset. It would also sometimes reset due to disk activity, slowly glitching then grinding to a halt. I wasn't sure if the two were related or both were happening at different times. I first reformatted and set up my internal graphics again properly as headless for x264 encoding, (along with my NVidia 1050ti as main card) and also checked the drive.

It's an intel 600p NVMe, and i ran a test on a windows partition using Intel SSD Manager. The same crash happened while testing it. Sometimes the computer would hard reset, other times it would freeze entirely but not reset. There was a firmware update due, so i updated the firmware and since then it's been more stable.

I would check your internal gfx options, and work on getting it working properly as a headless graphics card, and it will operate like a native mac, doing the encoding work using the intel CPU. The first time round I set this up, all my x264 encoding went glitchy but since a reformat and doing it again properly with intel fb patcher it's been great. I still don't fully trust the NVMe drive but after firmware update it is behaving a lot better.
Thanks for the input. I haven't done anything on the graphics end of things. I just plugged it in and it worked out of the box because Apple supports the Sapphire Puise RX 580. I did try installing the "Core Graphics Fixup" (whatevergreen/lilu) option in Multibeast Mojave last night but that didn't help. It's just super frustrating.

Edit: Also, I have my ssd drive cloned to a regular HD and the same crash happens on it... so I'm almost positive it's not my NVMe drive. I have the Samsung 970 EVO 500gb.

Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 1.31.00 PM.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I haven't done anything on the graphics end of things. I just plugged it in and it worked out of the box because Apple supports the Sapphire Puise RX 580. I did try installing the "Core Graphics Fixup" (whatevergreen/lilu) option in Multibeast Mojave last night but that didn't help. It's just super frustrating.

Edit: Also, I have my ssd drive cloned to a regular HD and the same crash happens on it... so I'm almost positive it's not my NVMe drive. I have the Samsung 970 EVO 500gb.

View attachment 377840

Please check #2 before this troubleshoot post goes any longer.
No one knows what MoBO and Graphics you are referring to in your thread.
Your Profile dos not show some of the most important Hardware SPECS -MoBo+ Primary Graphics connected to the Monitor.

Not really sure what I'm doing wrong? I've updated it the best I can.

Awesome. :) My apologies!
  • Have you installed using a Kext Installer tool (like Kext Utility|Kext Wizard|KextBeast)or using Terminal commands the following Graphics Support kexts to /L/E or /S/L/E of your System Disk?
    • Lilu.kext (latest)
    • WhateverGreen.kext

• Can you upload your current CLOVER from the System Disk as a compressed (zip) file?

• Have you installed using a Kext Installer tool (like Kext Utility|Kext Wizard|KextBeast)or using Terminal commands the following Graphics Support kexts to /L/E or /S/L/E of your System Disk?
    • Lilu.kext (latest)
    • WhateverGreen.kext

• Can you upload your current CLOVER from the System Disk as a compressed (zip) file?
No, I only used Multibeast to install the Lilu and WhateverGreen kexts. My Clover folder should be attached.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    6.3 MB · Views: 117
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back