Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi
CPU
i5 9400F
Graphics
RX 580
Hi, I was hoping that someone out there could check my hardware and see if it is capable of running Big Sur. I really need some suggestions because I am new to Hackintoshing. Here are my parts:

CPU: i5 10600K 6 Core-Processor @ 4.1GHz Clock Speed
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Motherboard: Asus Prime Z490-A LGA 1200 ATX
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB (8GB x 2) DDR4-3600
Storage: Western Digital Blue 1TB M.2-2280 SSD
Western Digital Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid-Tower
PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold 550W 80+ Gold
Wifi Card: (I honestly didn't know what this was called, since it's unbranded. I'll put the link instead).
>> (Wifi Card Link) <<

I hope that I get some recommendations soon!

(I really hope that I didn't break any rules)

Short answer is yes, including the Broadcom WiFi/BT card.

Here are a couple of links to similar 'Golden Builds' using the same motherboard and the same or a similar CPU -

As you don't have a Discrete GPU (dGPU) there would be some changes required for your setup.

You might also want to look at getting a slightly more powerful PSU. 750W might be a better choice as it will support any additional components you add in the future, i.e. single or multiple dGPU, Audio card, Thunderbolt card etc.

Short answer is yes, including the Broadcom WiFi/BT card.

Here are a couple of links to similar 'Golden Builds' using the same motherboard and the same or a similar CPU -

As you don't have a Discrete GPU (dGPU) there would be some changes required for your setup.

You might also want to look at getting a slightly more powerful PSU. 750W might be a better choice as it will support any additional components you add in the future, i.e. single or multiple dGPU, Audio card, Thunderbolt card etc.
What changes do you think I need? Also, I don't feel like spending more money if I don't need to, so I was looking forward to using the integrated graphics. If I do need a dGPU, what would you suggest? Should I also add any extras, such as thunderbolt? Also, why would I need an audio card?

Last edited:
You are building a reasonably high-end Hackintosh, I assumed that if you had a need for something that expensive and powerful, you had a purpose to fulfil using it. Most builds of this nature are used for high-end graphics or audio/music production. Why else would you build a system that costs so much, for gaming?

You don't have to use a discrete graphics card, you can set your system up with the IGPU. That would be the main difference between your setup and the two builds linked in my first post. Depending on which SMBIOS they have used they may have disabled the IGPU in the bios (this tends to be the norm when using either the iMac Pro 1,1 or Mac Pro 7,1 SMBIOS). If not they will be using it with an empty framebuffer, with their discrete graphics card connected to the display(s) and undertaking most of the graphics functions.

You would need to set your system up with an IGPU Framebuffer that can drive a display, i.e. one with connectors for DisplayPort, HDMI output etc.

The recommended framebuffer for a Coffee or Comet Lake IGPU, without a Discrete GPU, is 0x3E9B0007, which would need to be entered as 07009B3E in the DeviceProperties section of your config.plist so the IGPU works at its best. It requires a bit more than just adding the framebuffer but that is where it starts.

Again you don't need to add any extra components/devices. But that is again why people tend to buy and build these high-end systems, so they can use other high-end components such as Digital Audio Workstations (DAW), Thunderbolt drives, displays etc. but for the latter you need a discrete graphics card in the system.

Buying a reasonably priced AMD graphics card for a Hackintosh is not feasible at present, due to BitCoin miners buying up all the available cards. This has resulted in really stupidly high pricing for any cards that do come on the market. Even the second-hand market is getting ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back