Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 770 4GB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I plan to dual boot OS X Mavericks and Windows 7. Here's what I plan to get so far.

Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD7 TH
CPU - Intel Core i7-4770K
Graphics Card - GeForce GTX 760
RAM - 16GB 1600MHz DDR3
Drives - SATA 6Gb/s 120GB SSD (x2) & SATA 6Gb/s 1TB HDD (x2)
Power Supply - Corsair RM 650 Watt Modular
Case - Corsair Carbide Series Air 540
Wifi Card - TP-Link PCI Express Wifi Adapter

Everything is from the "Custom Mac Pro" list other than the case and the motherboard since Newegg was sold out of the GZ-Z87X-UD7-TH and advertised the Z97X as the newer model.

I do have a copy of Snow Leopard although my 06 iMac died a few months ago.

Also I will be using my LG 27 inch monitor
http://www.amazon.com/LG-27-inch-IPS-Monitor-S27EA31V-B/dp/B00GXRQLVQ

Any suggestions, tips or advice on anything I'm missing will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I plan to dual boot OS X Mavericks and Windows 7. Here's what I plan to get so far.

Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD7 TH
CPU - Intel Core i7-4770K
Graphics Card - GeForce GTX 760
RAM - 16GB 1600MHz DDR3
Drives - SATA 6Gb/s 120GB SSD (x2) & SATA 6Gb/s 1TB HDD (x2)
Power Supply - Corsair RM 650 Watt Modular
Case - Corsair Carbide Series Air 540
Wifi Card - TP-Link PCI Express Wifi Adapter

Everything is from the "Custom Mac Pro" list other than the case and the motherboard since Newegg was sold out of the GZ-Z87X-UD7-TH and advertised the Z97X as the newer model.

I do have a copy of Snow Leopard although my 06 iMac died a few months ago.

Also I will be using my LG 27 inch monitor
http://www.amazon.com/LG-27-inch-IPS-Monitor-S27EA31V-B/dp/B00GXRQLVQ

Any suggestions, tips or advice on anything I'm missing will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Build list looks OK.
Is the "copy of Snow Leopard" a grey disc that came with your iMac or a retail DVD? The disc that came with the iMac will not work.

Wow, you and I made pretty much the same build, except mine had a Define R4.

Build list looks OK.
Is the "copy of Snow Leopard" a grey disc that came with your iMac or a retail DVD? The disc that came with the iMac will not work.

Thanks, that's good to hear. The copy of Snow Leopard is the white retail disk version 10.6.3 Will that be good enough to get me started down the upgrade path? If not I can use my buddy's iMac to get the proper version.

Wow, you and I made pretty much the same build, except mine had a Define R4.

That's awesome! Which Model Define R4 did you use (black, grey, white; window or no window)? That case is really nice.

How did your build go and how has it been running for you? Are you dual booting as well or just running OS X?

Thanks for your help and input guys!

I haven't built it yet; So far it's just a plan, but I'm pretty set on it. So far I'm leaning towards the titanium grey R4, no windows because I can't seem to get a color scheme going in my build :problem:

Thanks, that's good to hear. The copy of Snow Leopard is the white retail disk version 10.6.3

That will do the job - it is the one you need.

I haven't built it yet; So far it's just a plan, but I'm pretty set on it. So far I'm leaning towards the titanium grey R4, no windows because I can't seem to get a color scheme going in my build :problem:

I know whatcha mean. I have been planning to do this build for about 3 years now and it is finally coming together. I'm buying my motherboard and processor today and I just found out my boss has a contact at Corsair that can hook me up with some discounted prices. :D

Let me know how your build goes and I'll do the same. :thumbup:

That will do the job - it is the one you need.

Awesome! I'm sure I'll be picking you guy's brains throughout this process but I do see there is a wealth of information and documentation on the site for me to use too! Thanks for your help. :)

So, I've purchased my motherboard, power supply and a few other things but I have a new question.

Would it be better for me to purchase the i5 4670K instead of the i7 4770K and upgrade my graphics card from the GeForce GTX 760 02G-P4-2765-KR to the GeForce GTX 770 04G-P4-3778-KR?

I do not do much video editing, mostly website design and gaming.

For gaming I would recommend the i5 and GTX 770. The 770 is enough of an improvement over the 760 to make it worth it.

Couldn't say for website design etc. I would imagine a decent amount of RAM with the i5 will have you covered.

Personally Im going for the i7 and GTX 770. I don't intend to upgrade for a quite a few years (he says....) so would feel better getting the more powerful hardware now.

So, I've purchased my motherboard, power supply and a few other things but I have a new question.

Would it be better for me to purchase the i5 4670K instead of the i7 4770K and upgrade my graphics card from the GeForce GTX 760 02G-P4-2765-KR to the GeForce GTX 770 04G-P4-3778-KR?

I do not do much video editing, mostly website design and gaming.

I would say go with the i5 4670k. The i5 is just as good as the i7 when it comes to gaming. You will see the most improvement with the 770 over the 760.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back