Register

Hackintosh and Gaming PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

franzl86

Hi

I want to build a Hackintosh that allows me to do the following things:
  • Raw Image editing with Lightroom (might be the most resource intensive thing I do under OS X)
  • Being able to play games under windows in Full HD (under Windows which I want to setup as dual boot)
  • Other not so resource-intensive stuff
My budget is around 1.000 EUR and I came up with the following setup:
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5
CPU: Core i5-4690K
Graphics EVGA GF GTX 750TI SC
Memory: 16GB
SSD: 250GB
Power-Supply: Corsair CS 550 Watt
Case: Corsair Carbide 500R

I have a 1 TB SATA Drive which I want to use as bulk data drive under OS X and I have a 128 SSD which I want to use for Windows.
I know that the graphics card I choose is a bit outdated. Nevertheless it is meant for gaming and should be enough for me, as I do not have to play in 4K.

Questions:
  • Does this setup make sense?
  • Is the power supply enough?
  • Do I need an extra CPU-Cooler? If yes, which one would be recommended and is the power supply still big enough then?

Any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks in advance

franzl86

Hi

I want to build a Hackintosh that allows me to do the following things:
  • Raw Image editing with Lightroom (might be the most resource intensive thing I do under OS X)
  • Being able to play games under windows in Full HD (under Windows which I want to setup as dual boot)
  • Other not so resource-intensive stuff
My budget is around 1.000 EUR and I came up with the following setup:
CPU: Core i5-4690K
Memory: 16GB
SSD: 250GB
Power-Supply: Corsair CS 550 Watt
Case: Corsair Carbide 500R

I have a 1 TB SATA Drive which I want to use as bulk data drive under OS X and I have a 128 SSD which I want to use for Windows.
I know that the graphics card I choose is a bit outdated. Nevertheless it is meant for gaming and should be enough for me, as I do not have to play in 4K.

Questions:
  • Does this setup make sense?
  • Is the power supply enough?
  • Do I need an extra CPU-Cooler? If yes, which one would be recommended and is the power supply still big enough then?

Any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks in advance

franzl86

Yes, it makes sense. I will note a couple of things.

The PSU, while sufficient for this build; you may want to increase the wattage a little to allow for future upgrades or additions.

The stock CPU cooler is enough; however, you have selected a "K" processor which would allow you the ability to OC at some point. When/if you choose to OC the stock cooler will not be enough. You may want to upgrade at this point anyway, bc the stock coolers can be quite noisy..

Hi

thanks a lot for your response.
For the cooler: This one looks like a good choice (Amazon stars) for a reasonable price[h=4]ARCTIC Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2 (Air)[/h]
Any comments on that?

Regarding the PSU, thanks for that advice. I might go for the 650 Watt one from Corsair.

Cheers - franzl86

Just a quick Update in this thread as I have built and setup my Hackintosh in the meantime successfully with the following specs and in dual boot mode (Win7 and El Capitan):

CPU: Core i7-4790K
Cooler: Alpenföhn Brocken 2 (Note: heat paste included!)
Memory: 16GB (Crucial Ballistix Tactical)
SSD: 250GB (Samsung 850 EVO)
Power-Supply: Corsair RM 650 Watt
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Silent
Bluetooth: GMYLE Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter
DVD: LiteOn iHAS124 schwarz, SATA, bulk

Note: An extra SSD for Win7 and an internal SATA drive with 1TB storage for data mass storage was already available, but is part of my setup.
If you need more graphics power for gaming, the MSI GTX960 NVIDIA Gaming 2 seemed like a good choice for the money to me, but I haven't tried it in the setup.
A very good video tutorial how to assemble the hardware based on the Fractal Case can be found here.

Thanks for this great forum and the support in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back