Hackintosh a Mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell Optiplex 9010
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
Intel > Need model number > See Forum Rules!
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have a MacBook Pro 11,1 that is on its last legs. I tend not to upgrade OS on my devices to keep them running fast. So I have years with Mavericks setup on it. I switched to Apple because I found the Mac ran my windows software development (using Parallels) setup better than a PC. It has worked very well.

I recently Purchased a MacBook Pro 16,2. I found the performance very poor compared to my 11,1. I regressed the 16,2 back to Catalina and the performance is still poor. It seems to me this is an OS issue as the hardware seems to have faster capability than the 11,1. I have also tried different drive formatting with some improvement using Mac OS Extended over APFS.

I have a Dell 9010 Hackintosh setup the same as my 11,1, it runs just a little faster than my 11,1. However, it is far faster than the 16,2.

So I am here to ask an odd question, is it possible to "Hackintosh" a Mac?

The 16,2 "does not support Mavericks", is it possible to use Hackintosh techniques to setup Mavericks on it?

Thank you in advance!

I have a MacBook Pro 11,1 that is on its last legs. I tend not to upgrade OS on my devices to keep them running fast. So I have years with Mavericks setup on it. I switched to Apple because I found the Mac ran my windows software development (using Parallels) setup better than a PC. It has worked very well.

I recently Purchased a MacBook Pro 16,2. I found the performance very poor compared to my 11,1. I regressed the 16,2 back to Catalina and the performance is still poor. It seems to me this is an OS issue as the hardware seems to have faster capability than the 11,1. I have also tried different drive formatting with some improvement using Mac OS Extended over APFS.

I have a Dell 9010 Hackintosh setup the same as my 11,1, it runs just a little faster than my 11,1. However, it is far faster than the 16,2.

So I am here to ask an odd question, is it possible to "Hackintosh" a Mac?

The 16,2 "does not support Mavericks", is it possible to use Hackintosh techniques to setup Mavericks on it?

Thank you in advance!
I have moved your post to MacBook Pro forum

I have a Dell 9010 Hackintosh setup the same as my 11,1, it runs just a little faster than my 11,1. However, it is far faster than the 16,2
Hard to believe a 9010 is faster than a 2020 MBP. The 16,2 is about 8 years newer than the 9010. Does the 16,2 have an NVMe SSD ? What about it is slow ?

You really can't go back to Mavericks as it doesn't support a 10th gen Intel CPU or the iGPU. Simply won't work. You can't spoof the CPU either.

>>Hard to believe a 9010 is faster than a 2020 MBP.

Also need to include OSX version Mavericks versus Catalina, and Parallels version 9 versus 15.

I am not sure what the biggest issue is. My use case for this test is a database app.

I guess the next step is upgrade the 9010 to Catalina and Parallels 15 and see what happens, but it does not help me with the 16,2.

>>The 16,2 is about 8 years newer than the 9010. Does the 16,2 have an NVMe SSD ?

Yes. Both Pros are maxed out, and the 9010 (quad, Sanddisk Extreme Pro SSD) is similar to the 11,1 (dual, SATA SSD) and has always had similar performance.

The 16,2 has a 4TB NVME SSD, quad I7.

Shocked me to, but its also a huge jump in OSX and Parallels. I will add that I also ran Parallels 17 on BigSur and quickly regressed to Catalina and 15.

>>What about it is slow ?

The test I ran today was a database about 25GB in size and running a report on it, most of my performance desire is database related.

The 9010 processes it in about 50 minutes (Mavericks and Parallels 9),

The 16,2 processes it in about 9 hours (Catalina and Parallels 15), yes stunningly slow ... An old $200 desktop smokes a modern $4000 laptop.

>>You really can't go back to Mavericks as it doesn't support a 10th gen Intel CPU or the iGPU.

Very disappointing. :(

Thank you very much for your help.

he 16,2 has a 4TB NVME SSD, quad
I'd estimate that the laptop CPU is thermal throttling and slowing down. So it won't matter if you run an older macOS version. The 9010 has much better cooling as it has a larger cooler and more airflow. That's the difference.

That makes some sense. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back