Contribute
Register

“HackinMouse” Skylake H110 Econo Rig | i5-6500 | GA-H110M-A | 16GB | RX560

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally upgraded the machine to Sierra about a month ago using the following guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/direct-update-to-macos-sierra-using-clover.201465/

• I used the Clover Configurator to update Clover before the install.
  • I used the latest Sierra MultiBeast to get audio working again. I used the non-legacy ALC887 drivers
Guide was great. The only minor issues I had were:
  1. I had to keep the "inject kext" option in Clover, otherwise the install wouldn't complete (progress bar stuck). I don't know if the guide was originally incorrect or if I misread something, but as soon as I injected kexts from Clover all was well.
  2. Somehow I lost my config.plist. Not a big deal since I had a backup of the EFI folder and transferred settings backs into the new config.plist.

Hi Folks, do not upgrade to Gigabyte BIOS F20, especially if you have an Nvidia card. The Nvidia card will not work even after resetting all the BIOS settings as shown in the OP. F20 does fix all the extra boot options that show up in the BIOS (nice), but it breaks Nvidia support! MacOS would not see my Nvidia card not matter what. I also found some others with the same issue and no resolution.

[Disclaimer: proceed at your own risk!]
Good news:
For those that need to go back to F5 from F20, I figured out how to flash back to F5 as follows:
  1. On Windows, I used "Rufus" to create a bootable FreeDOS USB stick
  2. Download the F5 bios from Gigabyte
  3. Copy the F5 bios file to the bootable USB and name it bios.bin
  4. Download the FPT Z170 Tool for DOS (yes it works for other MB's like my H110)
  5. Place the FPT files/folders on the USB stick
    • Note: I left the Rufus AUTOEXEC.BAT so I could control the command.
  6. Insert your USB stick
  7. Boot to Clover and you can see the EFI DOS USB stick, then boot from it.
  8. At the C:> prompt type: fpt.ext -f bios.bin and let it do it's work.
  9. It should say it was successful.
  10. Reboot, the BIOS will force a shutoff once and then come back on...don't sweat it.
  11. Reset all your BIOS setting back to original hack needs (see OP if you forget).
  12. Profit, Nvidia works again!
Before you update your bios to f20, you should read this …
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/how-to-update-your-gigabyte-motherboards-bios.131047/page-3
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/psa-gigabyte-f20b-bios-changes.207965/

Downgrading from bios f20 is not that easy (gigabyte prevents a downgrade) and your system may not boot into macOS.

I would love to test the new Bios F20, because I have multiple extra Clover BIOS boot entries that are unnecessary and could damage my system in the long run.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...t-further-problems.175274/page-9#post-1268381 (Bios F20 could fix this problem)

Anyone who tested the F20 Bios on H110 Chipset?

@invargo

I personally use F20a for my GA-H110M-H DDR4 and I have a very stable build now (I know I posted a while on this thread about my HDMI audio but it's fixed now and all since I installed a GTX 960). If you have questions, I can try to answer it.

I installed F20 on my newly build PC before starting my Sierra install attempt. My first hackintosh PC btw. My first few hackintoshes were laptops.

Which means, you are running an Alpha of the F20 Bios? Or is my interpretation of the letter "a" after F20 wrong?

I am not sure how to enable these options, when macOS is not booting anymore. Is it possible to enable the "KernelPM" and "Patch APIC" temporarily via clover boot args?

Yes. I guess that's what it meant. However, when I check again earlier from the Gigabyte website, the F20a is gone and replaced by the F20. I am not planning to upgrade anymore tho. I still have the F20a package on my flash drive.

Hi all, how you guys doing
Im new to this site so would like to know you all

Just finished building my skylake i3 6100 with MSI H110m Gaming Motherboard,
does anyone have experience with this series,? hoping this works.. would like to give it a try.
as i seen mostly y all using gigabyte mobos....

Any comments appreciated.

Hi Folks, do not upgrade to Gigabyte BIOS F20, especially if you have an Nvidia card. The Nvidia card will not work even after resetting all the BIOS settings as shown in the OP. F20 does fix all the extra boot options that show up in the BIOS (nice), but it breaks Nvidia support! MacOS would not see my Nvidia card not matter what. I also found some others with the same issue and no resolution.

Just for clarification! You have enabled "KernelPM" and "Patch APIC" in the clover settings. For Nvidia driver support you have also installed "EmuVariableUefi-64.efi" via the Clover Configurator? It seems like, you missed the last step.

Solution comes from https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/psa-gigabyte-f20b-bios-changes.207965/page-2
Finally, all OK now, booting from F20 firmware works, MSI nVidia GTX 750 Ti is enabled.

Corrective maintenance:
1) Booted into Clover, added the boot option "KernelPM." That allowed booting once into the Mac OS. Then added it to Clover Configurator, which fixed it permanently. (In my case I didn't need the "Patch APIC" box to be checked.)
2) To get the GTX 750 Ti working, I used Clover Configurator's "Install/Update Drivers" feature to install the "EmuVariableUefi-64.efi" file into the EFI's "drivers64UEFI" folder. And that did it.

Great that the F20 firmware fixed the addition of about a zillion fake "boot options" after restarts and reboots. Now only the true boot options are shown.

Just for clarification! You have enabled "KernelPM" and "Patch APIC" in the clover settings. For Nvidia driver support you have also installed "EmuVariableUefi-64.efi" via the Clover Configurator? It seems like, you missed the last step.

Solution comes from https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/psa-gigabyte-f20b-bios-changes.207965/page-2

OK, I didn't know about the 3rd option or that thread, thanks for letting me know! On F20, I found that I could boot with only "KernelPM" and not "Patch APIC", but I enabled both just in case. Not sure I will try again right away since the OS has always been stable on F5. And at least for now, the extra EFI boot entries are now cleared in the BIOS after the upgrade/downgrade (I was up to 49 entries!). I may take another stab at it if I get bored, haha. I bet this will fix it. Thanks again invargo.

Thanks for you work on this @mots :)

Until I read your latest posts I hadn't thought to check for a new BIOS for my Z170MX Gaming 5. When I do I see the jump from F4 to F20 too (F5e being a beta etc). Clearly Gigabyte have made some serious changes to warrant such a leap. Their notes do say the F20 BIOS is not downgradeable, so your guide is very useful.

If the only advantage of an upgrade is the lack of bogus boot entries I'm a bit disappointed. For such a jump in release number I'd expect something more significant, after all, most motherboard buyers are Windows users.

:)

Thanks for you work on this @mots :)

Until I read your latest posts I hadn't thought to check for a new BIOS for my Z170MX Gaming 5. When I do I see the jump from F4 to F20 too (F5e being a beta etc). Clearly Gigabyte have made some serious changes to warrant such a leap. Their notes do say the F20 BIOS is not downgradeable, so your guide is very useful.

If the only advantage of an upgrade is the lack of bogus boot entries I'm a bit disappointed. For such a jump in release number I'd expect something more significant, after all, most motherboard buyers are Windows users.

:)

Hi, yes probably not much advantage for the average user, especially for a H110 motherboard with non-OC CPU like I have on this rig. Since we rarely spend time in the BIOS, it shouldn't matter at all for daily usage unless there was some low level underlying issue they have fixed that is undocumented. I once had a server that would crash/freeze every couple months. We finally traced it down to a low level memory leak that was fixed by a BIOS update. As long as my system is stable, I think I will stay put...as they say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". and this is especially true for BIOS updates!

Last edited:
Hey mots, I have the same build that you have except for the GPU. I have a AMD R7 265 2GB Sapphire DDR5. I installed in March El Capitan with a different build: asrock h81m vg4 and pentium g3240 and worked with my GPU (AMD R7 265). But now I installed El Capitan in my new Skylake build (gigabyte h110m-a and pentium g4400 3.3ghz), and I cant boot for set the settings for first time in El Capitan(username, country etc) because got stucked at this line:

**** [IOBluetoothHCIController][SearchForTransportEventTimeOutHandler] -- Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport!

Do you know how can I fix it?

nevermind i made it, got working everything but i dont know why in geekbench i got 3768 in single core and 6326 in multicore of score with a pentium g4400, a bit more in single core than ur score is that right? if someone is needing clover settings for gigabyte h110m-a and pentium g4400 and kext for install feel free to ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back