Contribute
Register

“HackinMouse” Skylake H110 Econo Rig | i5-6500 | GA-H110M-A | 16GB | RX560

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for your reply!
To be honest I didn't read the whole thread, that's entirely my fault! I did see the upgrade parts tho, that's why in my case I decided to go Catalina as a clean install and just use your guide as a point of orientation for my build.
I figured that you used Multibeast for El Capitan because of the native Intel 530 Drivers, that is why I was also using it, as when I tried with Multi for Mojave, it didn't have the driver.

My build is:
Gigabyte h110m-a
Intel 6100
8gb stick Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz (automatically underclocked to 2144)
Some WD 500gb HDD

Installation went super fine! is the multibeast part what I didn't fully understood. From what I understand now, I would have to use Multi for Mojave, install Network Realtek 2.2.2 and no Graphic driver? Then install the kexts for hd530 by other means (Clover configurator?) am I getting it right?

Again thank you so much for all of this thread!
you need to update your hardware profile to reflect the system you are installing on

Thank you for your reply!
To be honest I didn't read the whole thread, that's entirely my fault! I did see the upgrade parts tho, that's why in my case I decided to go Catalina as a clean install and just use your guide as a point of orientation for my build.
I figured that you used Multibeast for El Capitan because of the native Intel 530 Drivers, that is why I was also using it, as when I tried with Multi for Mojave, it didn't have the driver.

My build is:
Gigabyte h110m-a
Intel 6100
8gb stick Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz (automatically underclocked to 2144)
Some WD 500gb HDD

Installation went super fine! is the multibeast part what I didn't fully understood. From what I understand now, I would have to use Multi for Mojave, install Network Realtek 2.2.2 and no Graphic driver? Then install the kexts for hd530 by other means (Clover configurator?) am I getting it right?

Again thank you so much for all of this thread!
No worries. I can't help you with the Intel 530 since I don't ever use the Intel GPU with hacks and this build has a supported discrete graphics card. Either way, you should always follow the TonyMac guide for the MacOS version you are trying to install.

As far as MultiBeast for a Catalina install, you may want to wait unless you want to do things manually. The current guide for Catalina says at the top:
Please note: UniBeast 10 for Catalina is available, however MultiBeast 12 for Catalina has not been released yet. It will be available shortly. Until then, for a fresh post-installation use MultiBeast 11.3 for Mojave to install a SMBIOS and serial number. Then manually install essential kexts and optional patches.

Also, for Catalina, this post might help you with the other related kexts this MB requires:

Final note, I see there are new rules for kext locations in the latest 10.15.3 (which I haven't applied to this system yet , but hope to soon):
Starting in February 2020, Apple will "clamp down" on non Apple approved kexts. So, update Lilu, WhatEverGreen and AppleALC, placing them in your /EFI/.../Clover/kexts/other/

Update to macOS 10.15.5 Supplemental Update
So far, so good! Sound, Graphics, Sleep are all working great. I will report issues if I find any.

Notes:
  • I went from 10.15.2 to 10.15.4 about 2 weeks ago. This is when I upgraded Clover. Then, a couple days ago I went from 10.15.4 to 10.15.5(19F101), a.k.a. macOS 10.15.5 Supplemental Update. If you are running MacOS Catalina already, it should not matter which version you are currently running if you follow the general steps below.
  • I added a WiFi Adapter (kext required listed as optional below) and a natively supported Bluetooth USB dongle (no kext required). It was nice to add these wireless features. My primary connection is via Ethernet, but I will be giving the WiFi a good test to see if I can get Sidecar to work. It will also be nice to have Bluetooth. I'll report back on how these work out in the long run over the next month or so.
  • I am now using SMBIOS iMac19,1. Hopefully this will allow me to get Sidecar working with my iPad Pro with the new WiFi card. It was not working after my initial try after carefully following the Apple instructions, and then also trying some command line options. I plan to see what more I can do moving forward to get Sidecar to work with my MacOS natively supported RX560. Let me know if anyone has advice. So far, I've read conflicting advice about enabling the Intel iGPU, or not, for my configuration. I may try enabling the iGPU (headless mode) in the BIOS again when I get a chance.
General Steps:
  1. Make sure you have a full backup! Use disk cloning software or at least have a working Time Machine backup.
  2. Upgrade Clover to build 5107 UEFI, but don't reboot yet if Clover doesn't support your currently older MacOS version.
  3. Configure Clover config SMBIOS to use Product Model iMac19,1. I generated a new board serial number and serial number. I am mainly using this new config to (a) have a more modern machine Mac machine definition (2) to see if I can get Sidecar working.
  4. If not already done before, remove all 3rd party non-Apple approved kexts from /Library/Extensions/ or /System/Library/Extensions (the ones mentioned in step 3). Any non-apple approved kexts should be removed from these locations before the upgrade.
    • Note: find loaded/used 3rd party kexts using the kextstat command: $ kextstat | grep -v com.apple
  5. Place necessary non-Apple kexts on the EFI boot partition /EFI/.../Clover/kexts/other/
    • FakeSMC v6.26-357-gceb835ea.1800 by netkas (I've not tried VirtualSMC yet with this build, if you do, only use one software SMC emulator)
    • AppleALC v1.5.0
    • Lilu v1.4.5
    • WhateverGreen v1.4.0
    • RealtekRTL8111 v2.2.2
    • IO80211Family v12.0 (optional)
      • I inherited a TP-Link TL-WDN4800 WiFi adapter. I found this old Apple kext and it has been working OK thus far for limited WiFi use.
  6. Started the 10.15.5 Update from System Preferences. It will download and the system tells you it will reboot.
  7. Monitor the system closely while it upgrades and make sure you select the regular "Installer" boot selection from Clover each time it needs to restart (not the preboot installer or the regular MacOS boot option). Always make sure you select the regular installer option every time it reboots during the update until Clover no longer shows extra installer boot options. Finally, once the Clover installer options are gone, the update is complete and you can boot into MacOS 10.15.5.
  8. Done!
References:

Last edited:
Thank you for this guide. I have the exact same motherboard, but with an i3-6100 and an Nvidia GT 740. I have two identical systems with this config and everything works correctly except that the system will randomly reboot when either in sleep mode or when being woken up. If I disable sleep, then the system runs fine.

I did not generate an SSDT for CPU power management and am using PluginType=True in clover instead.

Also, is the 15 port USB patch not required for this motherboard due to the low amount of USB ports?

Thank you for this guide. I have the exact same motherboard, but with an i3-6100 and an Nvidia GT 740. I have two identical systems with this config and everything works correctly except that the system will randomly reboot when either in sleep mode or when being woken up. If I disable sleep, then the system runs fine.

I did not generate an SSDT for CPU power management and am using PluginType=True in clover instead.

Also, is the 15 port USB patch not required for this motherboard due to the low amount of USB ports?
Hi, you are welcome! Interesting about the random reboots. One thing I did not mention in this thread before. A couple months ago, I tried an RX 5700 that became available in my household. It worked fine at first, so I thought. But, I started to experience the reboot\sleep panic issues the first time it went to sleep that night. I found some others having this issue with this card, but nothing I could find or tried would solve the issue (latest LILO\WEG, darkwake settings, command line arguments etc.). I thought perhaps a borderline underrated power supply may be the issue, but it didn't make sense that it could pass a benchmark, but then fail to wake. Never got it sorted...

Anyhow, I put my RX 560 card back in and all the issues went away, stable as ever. Since you are using the Nvidia GT 740, I wouldn't think the issues would be directly related to the ones I had with the RX 5700. But, it makes you wonder since the symptoms are very similar to the ones I was having. Let me know if you ever do figure out a solution.

You are spot on about the USB ports. I have never needed to use the USB patch on this system.

Hi, you are welcome! Interesting about the random reboots. One thing I did not mention in this thread before. A couple months ago, I tried an RX 5700 that became available in my household. It worked fine at first, so I thought. But, I started to experience the reboot\sleep panic issues the first time it went to sleep that night. I found some others having this issue with this card, but nothing I could find or tried would solve the issue (latest LILO\WEG, darkwake settings, command line arguments etc.). I thought perhaps a borderline underrated power supply may be the issue, but it didn't make sense that it could pass a benchmark, but then fail to wake. Never got it sorted...

Anyhow, I put my RX 560 card back in and all the issues went away, stable as ever. Since you are using the Nvidia GT 740, I wouldn't think the issues would be directly related to the ones I had with the RX 5700. But, it makes you wonder since the symptoms are very similar to the ones I was having. Let me know if you ever do figure out a solution.

You are spot on about the USB ports. I have never needed to use the USB patch on this system.

Have you had to do anything special regarding the internal Realtek NIC on this motherboard? I'm using the latest version of the Realtek kext (2.2.2) and I have two identical systems that are randomly rebooting during sleep/wake and the Error Report always says the same thing:

Kernel Extensions in backtrace:
com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily(3.4)[8119788F-2497-3C32-8325-C8B8D843BB31]@0xffffff7f9aa65000->0xffffff7f9aa94fff
com.insanelymac.RealtekRTL8111(2.2.2)[24D129C7-C25C-3D7B-9E10-EA71D9BE6511]@0xffffff7f9d91e000->0xffffff7f9d987fff
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily(3.4)[8119788F-2497-3C32-8325-C8B8D843BB31]@0xffffff7f9aa65000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.9)[BE052F4D-9B80-3FCD-B36D-BACB7DEE0DF2]@0xffffff7f9ab31000

Both systems have pretty much the identical panic log.

Network stack is disabled in BIOS.

Have you had to do anything special regarding the internal Realtek NIC on this motherboard? I'm using the latest version of the Realtek kext (2.2.2) and I have two identical systems that are randomly rebooting during sleep/wake and the Error Report always says the same thing:

Kernel Extensions in backtrace:
com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily(3.4)[8119788F-2497-3C32-8325-C8B8D843BB31]@0xffffff7f9aa65000->0xffffff7f9aa94fff
com.insanelymac.RealtekRTL8111(2.2.2)[24D129C7-C25C-3D7B-9E10-EA71D9BE6511]@0xffffff7f9d91e000->0xffffff7f9d987fff
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily(3.4)[8119788F-2497-3C32-8325-C8B8D843BB31]@0xffffff7f9aa65000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.9)[BE052F4D-9B80-3FCD-B36D-BACB7DEE0DF2]@0xffffff7f9ab31000

Both systems have pretty much the identical panic log.

Network stack is disabled in BIOS.

No issues with the NIC here, so that is odd. The Realtek NIC has always been stable for me using the latest driver. I have another Mac doing Time Machine backups to this machine over Ethernet and everything has been good, even if I don't use the machine for days.

Couple thoughts or stabs in the dark perhaps...

1) There is a config folder somewhere (can't recall off the top of my head) that holds older power management plan settings etc. In the past, I've cleared those config files when dealing with hardware changes since they really shouldn't have been active or used.

2) Another thought would be to look for kexts that are still on the OS partition on not in the EFI kexts folder (duplicates or remnants).

3) Perhaps we should compare BIOS versions...I'll have to look back at what I have flashed to be certain.

Update: my BIOS version is F20

No issues with the NIC here, so that is odd. The Realtek NIC has always been stable for me using the latest driver. I have another Mac doing Time Machine backups to this machine over Ethernet and everything has been good, even if I don't use the machine for days.

Couple thoughts or stabs in the dark perhaps...

1) There is a config folder somewhere (can't recall off the top of my head) that holds older power management plan settings etc. In the past, I've cleared those config files when dealing with hardware changes since they really shouldn't have been active or used.

2) Another thought would be to look for kexts that are still on the OS partition on not in the EFI kexts folder (duplicates or remnants).

3) Perhaps we should compare BIOS versions...I'll have to look back at what I have flashed to be certain.

Update: my BIOS version is F20

1) That does sound familiar and I recall doing something like that in the past, but I'll have to revisit.
2) I did do the kext clean up to make sure nothing was still in the S/L/E. Have also made sure I only have necessary drivers/kexts installed in EFI/OTHER
3) My BIOS version is F24 (latest) but it was crashing on F20 as well.

Mind sharing some BIOS settings? What do you have enabled in Power Management? I basically have ASPM disabled and ERP disabled. Used to have it enabled but was crashing.

Would you also mind sharing your config.plist?

Found the location of the PowerManagement.plist files. I had cleaned them out recently but I see new ones. Will delete them and reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back