Contribute
Register

“HackinMouse” Skylake H110 Econo Rig | i5-6500 | GA-H110M-A | 16GB | RX560

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi mots, I am using the same motherboard at f24 bios. Can you please guide me where to disable super I/O? Thank you so much

Hi, it is called "IOAPIC 24-119 Entries" on the "Chipset" tab in the BIOS.

IOAPIC = I/O Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller (aka super I/O).

Honestly, I am not sure it still has to be turned off or not. I have read differing opinions, but most experts say disabling isn't required after El Capitan 10.11.4.

1571870059137.png

Honestly, I am not sure it still has to be turned off or not. I have read differing opinions, but most experts say disabling isn't required after El Capitan 10.11.4.

View attachment 432281
Really appreciate your help. I have that enable and seems working fine. The only problem I have now is the “hack” wakes from sleep with black screen. I am using RX 580 with a DP connection. Any thought?

Really appreciate your help. I have that enable and seems working fine. The only problem I have now is the “hack” wakes from sleep with black screen. I am using RX 580 with a DP connection. Any thought?

You are welcome, glad to help if I can! Our setups are a bit different. I'm on BIOS F20 and use HDMI + DVI with an RX 560. Here are some things I would check:

1) Make sure your kexts are up to date. Assuming you are also on Catalina (see post 285 for the rest of my latest upgrade details).
  • Lilu.kext 1.3.8
  • Whatevergreen 1.3.3
  • AppleALC.kext 1.4.2
2) Set ErP = Enabled (BIOS) - really controls shutdown state and power allowed, but worth a try perhaps.

3) Stop/Remove any apps or other back-end services that could potentially be playing a role in the wakeup? (at least to troubleshoot)
Note: the Activity Monitor system app has a column you can show called "Preventing Sleep", perhaps this could be useful to determine involved processes. I recall using some PM commands in the past that may also help with determining this type of problem. I even had Chrome preventing sleep at one point..

I was going to say look into Darkwake settings, but I am not sure this is even a thing any more. I used to use this setting in past versions of the OS to help with taming wake from sleep issues.

You are welcome, glad to help if I can! Our setups are a bit different. I'm on BIOS F20 and use HDMI + DVI with an RX 560. Here are some things I would check:

1) Make sure your kexts are up to date. Assuming you are also on Catalina (see post 285 for the rest of my latest upgrade details).
  • Lilu.kext 1.3.8
  • Whatevergreen 1.3.3
  • AppleALC.kext 1.4.2
2) Set ErP = Enabled (BIOS) - really controls shutdown state and power allowed, but worth a try perhaps.

3) Stop/Remove any apps or other back-end services that could potentially be playing a role in the wakeup? (at least to troubleshoot)
Note: the Activity Monitor system app has a column you can show called "Preventing Sleep", perhaps this could be useful to determine involved processes. I recall using some PM commands in the past that may also help with determining this type of problem. I even had Chrome preventing sleep at one point..

I was going to say look into Darkwake settings, but I am not sure this is even a thing any more. I used to use this setting in past versions of the OS to help with taming wake from sleep issues.
Thanks again for your detailed guidance. The sleeps works fine. The wake though still wake to black screen. I can hear the sound after the wake when press enter, which I am sure there is something wrong with the video output. I have changed to HDMI, same issue. I am going to try a fresh install and see if that fixes. Cheers.

Thanks again for your detailed guidance. The sleeps works fine. The wake though still wake to black screen. I can hear the sound after the wake when press enter, which I am sure there is something wrong with the video output. I have changed to HDMI, same issue. I am going to try a fresh install and see if that fixes. Cheers.
Sounds good mate, hope you get it sorted! A fresh install is nice from time to time.

I have experienced audio issues myself in the past on older versions of MacOS after wake from sleep (El Capitan etc.). Those wake issues were solved with the Darkwake. I'll have to do more research to see if/why this setting is gone or no longer needed, and if there is a replacement somewhere (perhaps whatevergreen, boot args etc.). In your case with the video/screen issue, it sounds like the proper event isn't being triggered or sent by the kernel to turn on the video, OR perhaps more likely IMO, there was some sort of failure during sleep that is causing the video not to be able to turn on (not enough power during deep sleep etc.), even though the turn-on event was sent successfully by the kernel.

P.S. I just did a search "RX 580 screen won't turn on after sleep" and it seems a lot of folks are having this same issue with the RX580, even on Windows. Perhaps you can find some info by going through these threads. If it affects Windows too, then perhaps it is a BIOS setting or issue.

View attachment 432281

Just wanted to revisit this one more time after re-reading your response. I would go ahead and disable "IOAPIC 24-119 Entries", you don't need that. Have you disabled this to see if it fixes the issue? There is a post in the Catalina support I just saw where folks are fixing their video wake issue by turning off the serial port in the BIOS. This would be a similar type of I/O device and could could similar issues. Worth a shot if your MB is the same as mine.

Just wanted to revisit this one more time after re-reading your response. I would go ahead and disable "IOAPIC 24-119 Entries", you don't need that. Have you disabled this to see if it fixes the issue? There is a post in the Catalina support I just saw where folks are fixing their video wake issue by turning off the serial port in the BIOS. This would be a similar type of I/O device and could could similar issues. Worth a shot if your MB is the same as mine.
Thanks!

1) I have disable "IOAPIC 24-119 Entries" but still same issue.
2) I have tried different darkwake option, no luck.
3) fresh reinstall Catalina, problem persists.
4) on Mojave, the wake has no issue at all.

Maybe I should look into flashing RX580 bios?

Do you mind sharing your EFI ?

Cheers.

Thanks!

1) I have disable "IOAPIC 24-119 Entries" but still same issue.
2) I have tried different darkwake option, no luck.
3) fresh reinstall Catalina, problem persists.
4) on Mojave, the wake has no issue at all.

Maybe I should look into flashing RX580 bios?

Do you mind sharing your EFI ?

Cheers.
Hi, no idea on flashing the BIOS on your card, but if it were me, I'd try to find another build that has your exact card and a working Catalina system. Then, figure out what RX580 BIOS they are running. I reflashed my XFX RX560 BIOS to another vendor's version because it was required to make it compatible. Not sure if this is applicable to your card or not.

Give me a bit and I will clean up a copy of my EFI and then provide on post number #285 where I gave the other Catalina upgrade details. Before I post, I need to remove serial number, board serial number, and smUUID from config.plist as well as logs/debug potentially with serial numbers etc. (i.e stuff that shouldn't be shared).

There shouldn't be much there that is special or custom. I upgraded Clover using the recommended Tonymacx86 version/install process as I mentioned in that post. But, perhaps you'll see something in my config.plist that is helpful since it has been along for the ride through Mojave and the upgrade to Catalina. There is some ACPI patches for audio from the Mojave install, but it doesn't look like there is very much custom other than that when I reviewed during the upgrade.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back