Contribute
Register

“HackinMouse” Skylake H110 Econo Rig | i5-6500 | GA-H110M-A | 16GB | RX560

Status
Not open for further replies.
Updated to High Sierra 10.13.2 from the App Store (17C88)
All is working good thus far. Sound is still working (with no extra steps) and performance seems to be the same.

I had to Update Lilu to the latest for my system to be able to update to 10.13.2. Before I updated Lilu, when I try to update to 10.13.2, I would just get a restart loop on my system. But, now all is good after updating Lilu.kext & I'm on 10.13.2 without any problems. :D

I had to Update Lilu to the latest for my systme to be able to update to 10.13.2 .. Before I update Lilu, when i try to update to 10.13.2 i would just get a restart loop on my system. But now is all good after updating Lilu.kext & Im on 10.13.2 without any problems now :D

Awesome, welcome to the next stage! LOL. You must be using Lilu for the vit9696/AppleALC audio method I assume? I am using the toleda/cloverALC method for audio, so I don't need the Lilu kext on my system.

Update: Installed High Sierra
  • RAM - still using my single Ballistix 16GB module (BLS16G4D240FSB). MacOS shows 4 slots, but the motherboard on has 2 slots. If you are trying to use 2 RAM modules, it will likely be a problem (see post #66). Otherwise, if you figure it out, please let me know!
Updated to 10.13.2 - see post 200 for details

Hi MOTS - did you have the problem with using 2 RAM modules in El Capitan too or just Sierra (& High Sierra)? I am asking because I have 2 modules in my El Capitan rig and they both were recognised without any effort on my part.

Hi MOTS - did you have the problem with using 2 RAM modules in El Capitan too or just Sierra (& High Sierra)? I am asking because I have 2 modules in my El Capitan rig and they both were recognised without any effort on my part.

Hi, I never got to the bottom of this problem, but appreciate your input. Are you using the same motherboard (GA-H110M-A), BIOS version (F20), and RAM (Crucial Ballistix Sport LT) as I am using? I would be curious of those specifics. I don't think I ever tried with two modules in El Capitan, it was only after the Sierra upgrade per post 66.

It was odd, it would recognize the 2nd stick of RAM and boot up fine...but would then cause a kernel panic sometime after booting. It might have just been my luck with the particular stick of RAM I was using. If I ran the new stick alone by itself in slot 0, everything was fine and stable. After this realization, I eventually decided it could have something to do with dual channel support and my specific configuration (RAM vendor\module, MacOS\Clover, MB\BIOS, etc.). An odd issue indeed! Since I am now running a single 16 GB module that suits my needs, I've been content to leave it alone...but it still bugs me that I never knew the cause of the issue.

Logged in to to report the following and I now see 10.13.3 is out now! Oh well, here it is for documentation sake...I'll try the 10.13.3 update soon and report back on that as well. So far it looks like 10.13.3 will also be an easy update.
---
Updated to High Sierra 10.13.2 Supplemental from the App Store (17C205)
All is working good thus far. Sound is still working with no extra steps and performance seems to be the same.

I did the following to update:
(assuming you have a working High Sierra 10.13.2 system as in post 200)
  • Installed 10.13.2 Supplemental Update from the App Store
  • Left Clover, kexts, and apfs.efi versions as-is from 10.13.2.
  • It will reboot twice during the update:
    • The first time it reboots you will need to pick the High Sierra installer icon from Clover that isn't normally there.
    • The second time it reboots (after the installer), you can pick the normal High Sierra boot option.
  • After it rebooted into the OS the final time, I installed the latest Nvidia Web Driver from System Preferences.
    • GPU Driver Version: 378.10.10.10.25.104
  • Rebooted
  • Nvidia Cuda driver did not need to be updated.
    • CUDA Driver Version: 387.99
Reference: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/macos-10-13-2-supplemental-update.242576/

Gigabyte GA-H110M-A (rev. 1.0)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0165YUDTM/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

EVGA 430W Power Supply 100-W1-0430-KR
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H33SDR4/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Intel i3-6100
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015VPX2EO/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8GB Single DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DIMM 288-Pin
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UFBZOVE/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Patriot Torch 120GB SATA 3 2.5 SSD
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OTY083M/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Hi, I'm a newbie here. Looking for salvaging my dead iMac 27" mid 2011 that has an i5-2400 Quad Core 3.1 GHz, plus other components. Opting for a SSD for better performance. I'll use my old HDD for data storage. Also planning to throw in a OpenCL type Graphics card too. Hope this spec runs well with Sierra. This will be used as my second computer. Question is, is this specification worth trying at this point of time? I see this post was originally written in 2016. Please advice. Thanks a lot in advance!

Hi, I never got to the bottom of this problem, but appreciate your input. Are you using the same motherboard (GA-H110M-A), BIOS version (F20), and RAM (Crucial Ballistix Sport LT) as I am using? I would be curious of those specifics. I don't think I ever tried with two modules in El Capitan, it was only after the Sierra upgrade per post 66.

It was odd, it would recognize the 2nd stick of RAM and boot up fine...but would then cause a kernel panic sometime after booting. It might have just been my luck with the particular stick of RAM I was using. If I ran the new stick alone by itself in slot 0, everything was fine and stable. After this realization, I eventually decided it could have something to do with dual channel support and my specific configuration (RAM vendor\module, MacOS\Clover, MB\BIOS, etc.). An odd issue indeed! Since I am now running a single 16 GB module that suits my needs, I've been content to leave it alone...but it still bugs me that I never knew the cause of the issue.

Hi, MOTS sorry for late reply:

My Motherboard is: GA-H110M-S2H, and Ii think I am on F4 BIOS running i7-6700 Processor

My RAM is x2 sticks:
Size: 8 GB
Type: DDR4
Speed: 2133 MHz
Manufacturer: Crucial Technology
Part Number: CT8G4DFD8213.C16FBD1​

Hi, I'm a newbie here. Looking for salvaging my dead iMac 27" mid 2011 that has an i5-2400 Quad Core 3.1 GHz, plus other components. Opting for a SSD for better performance. I'll use my old HDD for data storage. Also planning to throw in a OpenCL type Graphics card too. Hope this spec runs well with Sierra. This will be used as my second computer. Question is, is this specification worth trying at this point of time? I see this post was originally written in 2016. Please advice. Thanks a lot in advance!

The i3-6100 is fairly close to your i5-2400 (PassMark score) and the Nvidia GTX-950 is still a decent consumer grade graphics card for light to medium duty tasks that Intel HD iGPU's can't handle. I still use this nice little machine as my daily driver at home. I am currently running MacOS High Sierra 10.13.2 (17C205) and it is a great little system for what I have invested. Beyond basic web surfing/email/etc., I use it for programming (Angular, React, Python etc.), running Linux and Windows VM's, photo editing, and some basic video editing (DaVinci Resolve, Camtasia, iMovie). Now, if you wanted to wanted to build Android from source, play the top end games, or mine Bitcoins, you would be disappointed, LOL. Like I always say, this machine can do what 95% of the population needs and do it well.

If I were going to build a brand new one today, I am not sure what I would do for an economy build. But, I would probably start with the new Coffee Lake i3-8100 that has double the number of cores as my i3-6100! Then, I would likely add in a GTX 1050 and you would have a great little machine! That said, always, check TonyMac's supported hardware list unless you want to be a guinea pig.

Hi, MOTS sorry for late reply:

My Motherboard is: GA-H110M-S2H, and Ii think I am on F4 BIOS running i7-6700 Processor

My RAM is x2 sticks:
Size: 8 GB
Type: DDR4
Speed: 2133 MHz
Manufacturer: Crucial Technology
Part Number: CT8G4DFD8213.C16FBD1​

No worries, appreciate the details!

I'm planing to upgrade to "High Sierra" in the next few days. For that, I'm going to purchase a new SSD for the installation of "High Sierra". During the installation process of "High Sierra", the current (working) SSD with Sierra will be unplugged for safety reasons. My questions are as follows …
  • If the installation of "High Sierra" onto the new SSD fails, is it possible to boot from the working SSD with Sierra after the failed installation process? (Just plugging the "old" SSD in?)
  • If the installation of "High Sierra" succeed, is it possible to dual boot different macOS Versions? Do you know what steps are necessary to dual boot multiple macOS Versions? I can only find instructions for dual booting macOS and Windows. Is it the same procedure?

Last edited:
I'm planing to upgrade to "High Sierra" in the next few days. For that, I'm going to purchase a new SSD for the installation of "High Sierra". During the installation process of "High Sierra", the current (working) SSD with Sierra will be unplugged for safety reasons. My questions are as follows …
  • If the installation of "High Sierra" onto the new SSD fails, is it possible to boot from the working SSD with Sierra after the failed installation process? (Just plugging the "old" SSD in?)
  • If the installation of "High Sierra" succeed, is it possible to dual boot different macOS Versions? Do you know what steps are necessary to dual boot multiple macOS Versions? I can only find instructions for dual booting macOS and Windows. Is it the same procedure?

That is exactly what I did (new SSD with fresh install). It worked great as it gives good peace of mind with the working Sierra backup and it provides a nice opportunity to upgrade the drive!

To answer your questions:
  • Yes, you can mount your old SSD containing the Sierra install and Clover should detect and show an option to boot "Sierra". If the new SSD with High Sierra is still mounted as well it will also show those boot options as well. I was dual booting in and out of Sierra and High Sierra from Clover for a while without issues (using the old and new SSD drives respectively). I have since popped out the older Sierra SSD and have moved forward with only High Sierra. But, I can pop back to Sierra if I would want as long as I have a good backup of the SSD MacOS partition (and optional data partitions).
  • Essentially what I have described above will work as a dual boot from Clover (for two or more MacOS installations). I'm sure there are other options as well, but this would be my first choice since it seems to work well. If you install a disk with a compatible MacOS boot partition, or other UEFI boot partition, it should show in Clover as a bootable option. Each installed environment (High Sierra, Sierra etc.) can then be maintained separately on its own disk\partition.
    • Note: before doing a new OS install, I physically unplug any other disks from the Motherboard (disks with already bootable operating systems, non-essential data disks etc.). After the new OS is up and working on it's own disk, I then put the other disks back in, boot up, and allow Clover to detect and manage them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back