Contribute
Register

“HackinMouse” Skylake H110 Econo Rig | i5-6500 | GA-H110M-A | 16GB | RX560

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good deal, glad to hear things are working for you. My only reservation is my GTX 950 card. I do video editing with Davinci Resolve (Cuda) and have read about folks having glitching etc. on High Sierra. I think my best bet is to do a full backup with Clonezilla and give it a try when I get some free time.
yeah i think you should stay at Sierra for now.
the only problem im facing is I get a blank Green Screen on my monitor sometimes when I restart/Shutdown
Its a no big deal for me. Only happens when I restart/Shutdown sometimes, but not all the time. Im not sure whether its my config.plist that causing it or something else. well yeah but so far so good.

If you are using your build for production work, then I'd wait until at least 10.13.3 before upgrading to High Sierra. (It's been my experience since 10.0 that Apple's macOS gets most of the bugs our by the third OS update. In this case, HS has a new file system.)

yeah i think you should stay at Sierra for now.
the only problem im facing is I get a blank Green Screen on my monitor sometimes when I restart/Shutdown
Its a no big deal for me. Only happens when I restart/Shutdown sometimes, but not all the time. Im not sure whether its my config.plist that causing it or something else. well yeah but so far so good.

Good advice, thanks. I plan on upgrading my SSD to a new larger one, so I may just install fresh onto the new drive when I get it. If things don't go well, then I'll keep going with Sierra and tinker with High Sierra as I have time.

Update: Installed High Sierra
I picked up a 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD and installed High Sierra (10.13.1) fresh yesterday. Will be evaluating a bit over the next week to see if I want to stay or go back.

I used the following excellent guide to install to the OS fresh onto my new SSD:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ierra-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.235474/

Notes:
  • Things started off slowly because the macOS installer wouldn't see my new SSD drive, even if it was the only drive connected. So, I formatted in Linux to FAT32 using a portable USD drive mount and then the installer could see it.
  • MultiBeast (10.1.1) and/or Clover Configurator seemed to bork my config.plist rendering the internal EFI partition not bootable, so I copied the EFI partition contents from the USB UniBeast stick and manually configured stuff from there using a text editor. See attached config.plist.
  • Gigabyte BIOS F20 Settings (DEL to enter using USB keyboard) - load optimized defaults first, then:
    • Using EFI Boot
    • Set Secure Boot = Off
    • Set Fast Boot = Off
    • Set Virtualization VT-d = Disabled
    • Set OS Type = “Other”
    • Set XHCI Handoff = Enabled
    • Make sure the I/O controller = Disabled (it won't say Super I/O). The GA-H110M-A board has the iTE® I/O Controller Chip per the specifications.
    • Set ErP = Enabled
      • I used to need this on El Capitan when using BIOS F5 to allow shutdown to work properly, i.e. not reboot seconds after shutdown. I haven't tried to disable it in a while, so I just wanted to mention that I am not 100% sure if this is still needed, but that I am still enabling with no issues.
      • ErP Support determines whether to let the system consume less than 1W of power in S5 (shutdown) state. When the setting is enabled, the following four functions will become unavailable: PME Event Wake Up, Power On By Mouse, Power On By Keyboard, and Wake On LAN.
  • Since BIOS F20, I still need the EmuVariableUefi-64.efi driver in order to get the GTX 950 Nvidia card working. The file goes here:
    • [EFI]/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/EmuVariableUefi-64.efi
    • See attached for the file.
  • Clover v4297 was used at the time of install:
    • See attached working config.plist before I added my serial number/unique info etc.
  • Ethernet Atheros E2200 - placed the following kext here:
    • [EFI]/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext
  • For audio ALC887
    1. HDEF wasn't found using IORegistryExplorer - no audio devices were visible in System Prefs
    2. Place SSDT-HDEF-HDAS-1.aml (attached) into internal [EFI]/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/SSDT-HDEF-HDAS-1.aml
    3. Reboot and mount EFI.
    4. Run Toleda's audio_cloverALC-130_v0.3.command (https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverALC)
      • Don't forget to mount the internal EFI partition, and SIP must be OFF.
    5. Reboot and sound should be working (internal speakers)
  • RAM - still using my single Ballistix 16GB module (BLS16G4D240FSB). MacOS shows 4 slots, but the motherboard on has 2 slots. If you are trying to use 2 RAM modules, it will likely be a problem (see post #66). Otherwise, if you figure it out, please let me know!
Updated to 10.13.2 - see post 200 for details

Attachments

• SSDT-HDEF-HDAS-1.aml
    259 bytes · Views: 434
  • config.plist
    5.8 KB · Views: 543
  • EmuVariableUefi-64.efi
    15.6 KB · Views: 286
  • AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext.zip
    26.3 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Update on High Sierra:
  • All is going great since the upgrade, much better than I expected (other than the horrible root login security flaw, LOL). Stability has been on par with Sierra (no OS crashes or instabilities since the upgrade). I have a dual boot with my old Sierra system SSD drive and can access the Sierra disk and my user files directly from HS if need be.
  • Sleep is working better than with Sierra it seems. In Sierra I seemed to have apps (mainly Chrome) keeping the machine awake sometimes.
  • I am a little reluctant to stay on APFS, but it has been working fine thus far and boot time is nice and quick. I am not using TRIM (due to known performance issues with APFS and non-Apple SSD's) and am relying solely on the Samsung 850 EVO firmware. From my research, this isn't a big deal with modern SSD's that have their own garbage collection built-in, but there is still some debate. Some also have reservations on maintaining a hack using APFS, but I am content to keep it as-is for now.
  • Nvidia web driver performance with the GTX 950 has been on par with Sierra. I don't notice any difference. Video editing and Cuda integration with DaVinci Resolve 14.1.1 has been working fine, same as in Sierra.
  • Virtualization using VirtualBox is working great as usual for Linux and Windows.
I'll keep updating post #194 above as I document the setup and then create a link in the first post once I am done.

Last edited:
Great work and thanks for sharing your progress. :thumbup:

@mots Would you be willing to share your config.plist file? I'm trying to get a similar machine running using your guide and running into some hiccups. I was hoping to compare your file to mine and see what you have done better. Thanks!

Post 194 updated with more info. I also placed a note in the first post to direct folks there for High Sierra.

Updated to High Sierra 10.13.2 from the App Store (17C88)
All is working good thus far. Sound is still working (with no extra steps) and performance seems to be the same.

I did the following to update:
(assuming you have a working High Sierra 10.13.1 system as in post 194)
  • Upgraded to Clover r4334 (https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/files/Installer/)
    • Chose "Custom" and made sure I installed the driver EmuVariableUefi-64.efi
      • I think it might remove the driver if you don't check it (and perhaps because I manually installed it).
      • You should have a working 10.13.1 and with working Nvidia drivers after the Clover update and a reboot before you continue with the 10.13.2 install.
      • File will be found here: [EFI]/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/EmuVariableUefi-64.efi
  • Upgraded to the new apfs.efi for 10.13.2, install from here:
    • [EFI]/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/apfs.efi
  • Made sure FakeSMC.kext is current (mine already was), install from here:
    • [EFI]/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/FakeSMC.kext
  • Note: In the reference link for 10.13.2 Update below, there is a lot of confusion from folks about Lilu.kext. I never have used Lilu, so I didn't need to do anything with that. System is still Lilu-free.
  • Installed 10.13.2 from the App Store
  • It will reboot twice during the update:
    • The first time it reboots you will need to pick the High Sierra installer icon from Clover that isn't normally there.
    • The second time it reboots (after the installer), you can pick the normal High Sierra boot option.
  • After it rebooted into 10.13.2, I installed the latest Nvidia Web Driver from System Preferences.
    • GPU Driver Version: 378.10.10.10.25.102
  • Rebooted
  • Installed the new Nvidia Cuda driver
    • CUDA Driver Version: 387.99
Reference:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/macos-10-13-2-update.239847/

After 3 days, so far, so good on 10.13.2. Audio and sleep working fine, no detected differences from 10.13.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back