Motherboard
GA-H110M-A
CPU
i3-6100
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
I've been rockin' the latest update and then the following supplemental update 10.14.3 (18D109) for a little while now. With the new OOB RX 560, there was literally nothing to do to update but allow it to reboot into the installer a few times and then back to the desktop. Brilliant! The system is as stable and as fast as it ever was on Mojave.

On another note, I plugged in a new Logitech USB headset recently and it works flawlessly OOB with Skype, GotoMeeting etc. All using native Apple audio...this little machine never stops impressing me. While I would love to have new hardware, I really don't see a need for me to upgrade.

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
While I would love to have new hardware, I really don't see a need for me to upgrade.
I always expect to get at least 5 years out of a hackintosh build. Most of them last much longer than that. You're still good for a few years. Wait for at least Ice Lake and USB 4 in 2020 ? Depends on whether Intel gets their "act" together or not.
About Ice Lake:
It promises a doubling in performance alongside Wi-Fi 6 support and, naturally, Thunderbolt 3 for fast data transfer. Indeed, Ice Lake will be the first processors to natively integrate Thunderbolt.
The other important thing about Sunny Cove / Ice Lake is that all the fixes for the Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilites should be implemented at the hardware level rather than software patches and BIOS updates to fix the problems. So Ice lake and 10nm chips will be about 5 years late by 2020 but it's as they say "better late than never." Same scenario for the Mac Pro refresh people have been waiting years for.

Last edited:
Motherboard
GA-H110M-A
CPU
i3-6100
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
I always expect to get at least 5 years out of a hackintosh build. Most of them last much longer than that. You're still good for a few years. Wait for at least Ice Lake and USB 4 in 2020 ? Depends on whether Intel gets their "act" together or not.
About Ice Lake:

The other important thing about Sunny Cove / Ice Lake is that all the fixes for the Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilites should be implemented at the hardware level rather than software patches and BIOS updates to fix the problems. So Ice lake and 10nm chips will be about 5 years late by 2020 but it's as they say "better late than never." Same scenario for the Mac Pro refresh people have been waiting years for.
Thanks! Since I started with such low specs on this Sky Lake econo build, I really didn't expect to get 3 years out of it. Not that I didn't expect it to work anymore, I'm just the type of person that likes to upgrade to the latest, fastest etc. I do some programming and video editing on this machine and it does everything I need. Maybe I am just getting older and wiser, LOL. The longer I wait, the better hardware my $ will buy!

Motherboard
GA-H110M-A
CPU
i3-6100
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Upgrade to 10.14.4 (18E226)
Just when I was praising the simplicity of the last upgrade, this one appeared to be a bit tricker from all the feedback, and it was. That said, it was still an easy upgrade and it was a chance to get current on Clover and kexts. Everything seems to be stable and running well after a minor hick-up with audio.
  1. Upgraded to Clover v4862 using the TonyMac UEFI build (link below). I was at v4769 before the upgrade.
  2. Upgraded to Lilu.kext v1.3.5 and NoVPAJpeg.kext version built with Lilu 1.3.5.
    • This can easily be done by placing the two kexts on your desktop (make sure you don't have others there too!) and running the KextBeast app (link below). I installed to /Library/Extensions when prompted in KextBeast.
    • Note: the NoVPAJped.kext is still needed for image preview since I installed the new RX560 video card for OOB Mojave support.
  3. Upgraded to 10.14.4 via System Preferences\Software update.
  4. It rebooted into the installer partition 3 or so times, and then the update was complete and back at the logon screen.
No audio after sleep
Everything seemed fine at first, but then I noticed I had audio problems after sleep, but only with the Internal Speaker output (audio jack on Motherboard). My USB headphones\mic were still fine. After reading this post by @carlspsyd and some others about audio trouble in this update, I figured my AppleALC.kext just needed to be upgraded or perhaps the kext cache just needed rebuilt or something. I decided to simply upgrade to the latest AppleALC.kext v1.3.6 (link below) using KextBeast to /Library/Extensions to achieve both in one shot.

Bam! Audio from Internal Speaker output is working again after sleep. I just tested again after sleep this morning and all is well.

References:

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H110M-DS2
CPU
i3-6100
Graphics
GTX 650
I just changed my VGA to MSI RX 570 Armour 8GB OC. It works OOB.
But I haven't upgrade to latest update. I will try update soon.

I'm thinking to upgrade i3-6100 to i5-7400. But the price difference is big. I'm not sure it will be worth it.

Motherboard
GA-H110M-A
CPU
i3-6100
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
I just changed my VGA to MSI RX 570 Armour 8GB OC. It works OOB.
But I haven't upgrade to latest update. I will try update soon.

I'm thinking to upgrade i3-6100 to i5-7400. But the price difference is big. I'm not sure it will be worth it.
Between the RX570 and i5-7400, that would be a nice little bump, a good way to get more mileage from your motherboard for sure. I'd have to upgrade my wimpy 430W power supply to run that graphics card, haha!

I've already got a little itch to build another little machine from the ground up this Summer, so I'll likely hold out on changing anything until then. The 8th generation i3's are already ridiculously fast (double cores from the previous generations), but those require a MB/socket upgrade :(. I'll probably base my new build off an 8th or 9th gen i3, whatever works best at the time I build. They have new F CPUs I read about (ex. i3-8100F) without the Intel Graphics. If these would work in a hack, they might be even more cost effective than the regular i3's.

10.14.4 is still running nicely. Happy and content, at least for now, haha!

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H110M-DS2
CPU
i3-6100
Graphics
GTX 650
Between the RX570 and i5-7400, that would be a nice little bump, a good way to get more mileage from your motherboard for sure. I'd have to upgrade my wimpy 430W power supply to run that graphics card, haha!

I've already got a little itch to build another little machine from the ground up this Summer, so I'll likely hold out on changing anything until then. The 8th generation i3's are already ridiculously fast (double cores from the previous generations), but those require a MB/socket upgrade :(. I'll probably base my new build off an 8th or 9th gen i3, whatever works best at the time I build. They have new F CPUs I read about (ex. i3-8100F) without the Intel Graphics. If these would work in a hack, they might be even more cost effective than the regular i3's.

10.14.4 is still running nicely. Happy and content, at least for now, haha!
So far only Assassin Creed Odyssey that bottle neck my i3 heavily. But I read much higher processor experience the same problem. I think I will pending my upgrade after your upgrade instead haha.

Motherboard
GA-H110M-H
CPU
i3-6100
Graphics
GTX 750ti
Mac
MacBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
I was a happy guy with my EC, then i saw that WOW Classic will require at least HS. So, I updated mine to HS using your instructions on post #190 :)

Painless and worked perfect! Thanks for your fantastic documentation.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H110M-DS2
CPU
i3-6100
Graphics
GTX 650
Has anyone upgrade yet? I read H310 is not fully compatible.
I plan to upgrade my proc, because I upgrade my VGA to RX 570. i3-6100 seems cause bottle neck in few games.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H110M-DS2
CPU
i3-6100
Graphics
GTX 650
Just update to 10.14.5 using latest Clover 5xxx (forget the number).
1) Blank screen after reboot. Had to boot via USB and replace EFI clover folder with the one from the USB boot.
2) There're some kind screen artifact when booting. Several short horizontal magenta color lines, but don't show up after booting.
3) Sound Line Out doesn't work. Sound HDMI and headphone are work.

Last edited: