Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Inspiron 11 3153
CPU
i3-6100u
Graphics
HD 520
Have a 2019 13" MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4 Thunderbolt ports. Would like to output to 3 1080p monitors while the laptop is in clamshell mode, but its my understanding Apple limits the 13" to 2 external monitors. Its also my understanding, its not a hardware limitation. Per Intel, Iris Plus 655 can support up to 3 monitors in clamshell mode as long as its 2x DisplayPort and 1x HDMI/VGA/DVI/DP. It can display to two monitors plus the retina display, so it CAN output to 3 displays, but not in the way i wish, but horsepower wise the iGPU should be able to handle this. I'd prefer not having to spend the cost of a midrange PC for a eGPU just to get a 3rd monitor, and DisplayLink is fairly dreadful except for basic text.

So, that brings me back to you guys since I have a background in hackintoshing before making the leap to a real Mac. In theory, could a 3rd party kext be developed to unlock this ability or is this something Apple purposely has hobbled in the hardware? Im going to try booting Windows on an SSD over USB3 to see what Windows makes of it, but wanted to check here to see if this is a pipe dream or if im just not googling the right words.

I think it's possible to hack a Thunderbolt 3 to M.2 adapter for SSDs (starts at $75 or so) and turn it into an eGPU adapter with this:

There's a report out there of this working, so I believe it could be a good way to add a low power eGPU for driving an extra display or two. I've been thinking of making a post on that, but I may try it out myself first.

Some of the cheaper AMD cards that have support now, like RX550, also can be had for as little as $75.

Then the final thing is to supply the GPU some power with one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FK5XDY6/?tag=tonymacx86com-20 https://www.ebay.com/itm/133282285591

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back