Contribute
Register

HackinDROM App testing (not website)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Inqnuam

First of all thanks for all the hard work in development HackinDROM!

Unfortunately I'm having a problem getting the app to run.

Having a bit of a problem running HackinDROM. Originally, I was downloading the app, and it looked like the app downloaded. But, when I tried to run it, macOS said it was damaged. I now think the problem was that it was not downloading with the .zip extension, and I didn't know to unzip it. Today, however, the app is downloading as a .zip file, extracts and runs.

However, when running it, on the initial page, I am unable to select a motherboard (which is probably the problem). My motherboard is the Z490. There is no dropdown menu. The GPU and WiFi are correct. So I hit confirm and now I have a screen that says "Loading" but it never finishes. Activity Monitor shows "HackinDROM" running with sometimes 4, sometimes 5 threads and 0% CPU. Diskutil shows devices /dev/disk0 through /dev/disk8 some of which are synthesized. I actually have 2 hard drives one with Mac Backup and one with Windows backup, two NVMe drives, one with Mac OS X, one with Windows, and an SSD drive with Linux.

I'm running Mac OS X 11.2.3. HackinDROM says it is version 1.3.2. OpenCore 0.6.8 (I updated using CaseySJ's config file and OpenCoreConfigurator version 2.34.0.0 set to Official OC 0.6.8) and I've tried running it as both a non-administrative user and an administrative user. Use Activity Monitor to kill it. Not sure what to try next.

Thanks

Rand

@Inqnuam

First of all thanks for all the hard work in development HackinDROM!

Unfortunately I'm having a problem getting the app to run.

Having a bit of a problem running HackinDROM. Originally, I was downloading the app, and it looked like the app downloaded. But, when I tried to run it, macOS said it was damaged. I now think the problem was that it was not downloading with the .zip extension, and I didn't know to unzip it. Today, however, the app is downloading as a .zip file, extracts and runs.

However, when running it, on the initial page, I am unable to select a motherboard (which is probably the problem). My motherboard is the Z490. There is no dropdown menu. The GPU and WiFi are correct. So I hit confirm and now I have a screen that says "Loading" but it never finishes. Activity Monitor shows "HackinDROM" running with sometimes 4, sometimes 5 threads and 0% CPU. Diskutil shows devices /dev/disk0 through /dev/disk8 some of which are synthesized. I actually have 2 hard drives one with Mac Backup and one with Windows backup, two NVMe drives, one with Mac OS X, one with Windows, and an SSD drive with Linux.

I'm running Mac OS X 11.2.3. HackinDROM says it is version 1.3.2. OpenCore 0.6.8 (I updated using CaseySJ's config file and OpenCoreConfigurator version 2.34.0.0 set to Official OC 0.6.8) and I've tried running it as both a non-administrative user and an administrative user. Use Activity Monitor to kill it. Not sure what to try next.

Thanks

Rand
Hello and thank you for your feedback
This issue is identified and will be fixed in next version which I hope will publish tomorrow (this is related to internet connection latency that I didn’t considered when wrote the code, for some users it works as expected and not for others)
For the moment if you want to be able to select your motherboard please try:
Run the app
Go to Settings page
Go back to the main page
Again go to Settings page and check if you can select your motherboard

or wait about 12h when I’ll update the app with important corrections and a new functionality

Is it an idea that the HackinDROM app will become published on Github? The reason I'm asking is because tonymacx86.com was down for quite a while this week (and perhaps you will win the lottery tomorrow and will stop doing this as a hobby ;-) ). This got me wondering, what if for whatever reason, this board goes down and all of the knowledge is gone?
Putting the app on GitHub is a good idea. It's a decision for @Inqnuam of course. If @Inqnuam decides one day to no longer spend time on the app, then he could consider releasing the source code on GitHub as well. To borrow a truly hackneyed phrase, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. :)

Perhaps I'm thinking out loud here, but it would be a waste to lose all this all of a sudden. What are your thoughts on this @Inqnuam and @CaseySJ

The same goes for the info in @CaseySJ 's topic, in my opinion.
Ditto about the bridge... ;)

Is it an idea that the HackinDROM app will become published on Github? The reason I'm asking is because tonymacx86.com was down for quite a while this week (and perhaps you will win the lottery tomorrow and will stop doing this as a hobby ;-) ). This got me wondering, what if for whatever reason, this board goes down and all of the knowledge is gone?

Perhaps I'm thinking out loud here, but it would be a waste to lose all this all of a sudden. What are your thoughts on this @Inqnuam and @CaseySJ

The same goes for the info in @CaseySJ 's topic, in my opinion.
Happy that you are interred about HackinDROM on GitHub

There’s 3 reasons why it isn’t on GitHub for the moment:
  • I don’t know at all how Git works, I need a lesson but I don’t have time for the moment, but will learn it for sure
  • I’m very new to app development and to developers world. I think the app isn’t written conventionally , and the big one is that, all real life words I used inside the code comes from a language which only 3M humans speak on the Earth, so I need to translate them to English and make clear everything
  • The other reason is that HackinDROM app works side by side with HackinDROM websites server, for the moment there’s things related to the sever security that I can’t share (if you remember the server was hacked when I lunched the Thunderbolt utility)

Just Updated to v1.3.3
  • Catalina: Fixed a bug which prevents to open User Authentification window to mount a EFI partition #5,764
  • Catalina: For now Disabled a cosmetic function which created glitches inside the window #227 , instead you can hover on elements wait a second to see the same text, the is available almost everywhere in the app
    Screen Shot 2021-04-18 at 16.23.04.png
  • Catalina: fixed a bug which crashed the app when trying to open Releases Notes
  • Catalina: new icons for drives, same as in OpenCanopy + other icons changements
    HackinDROM on Catalina.png
  • New: Clicking on unmount will unmount the drive "properly", but if something prevents partition to be unmounted then now you can right click then force unmount
  • then now you can right click then force unmount
  • Other graphical and performances fixes

At this stage the app is stable, and very usable, but not ready yet to be opened for other Admins, specially because Catalina isn't supporting yet the Admins tools (will come soon) and server side little changements are needed

Personally I'm happy about this version, I played with it on Catalina all day and it is really stable and fast (internet related tasks depends on your internet connection of course)

Attachments

• HackinDROM v1.3.3.zip
    4 MB · Views: 43
@Inqnuam Installed v1.3.3 this morning. Still having a bit of a problem. When the initial splash screen appeared I was able to choose my motherboard, the Z490 D. The GPU and WiFi were correct. I selected "Confirm" and the screen switch to a second panel which says "Loading EFI partitions" which never goes away. Watching the process in activity, thread count went from 4 to 3 then back to 4 then to 3 again then to 15 then to 5. CPU is 0%. Finally I got a dialog that said HackinDROM wanted to make changes and asked for administrative password. Entered that. Still spinning. Machine is hardwired although WiFi is turned on. Have Google fiber. May try it with WiFi turned off. Attached two screenshots and a sample from activity monitor, which may or may not help.

Screen Shot HackinDROM 1.png
Screen Shot HackinDROM 2.png

Attachments

• Sample of HackinDROM.zip
    25.6 KB · Views: 37
Thanks for your feedback again!
Finally I got a dialog that said HackinDROM wanted to make changes and asked for administrative password.
HackinDROM asks password only to mount EFI partition, have you checked the option "Automatically mount EFI partitions"?

Please open Terminal and enter:
Code:
diskutil list -plist > Documents/alldisks.plist
alldisks.plist file is generated into your Documents folder

Please post it, also IORegistryExplorer file

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back