Contribute
Register

HackinDROM App for OpenCore EFI Creation and Update

@dehjomz has hacked the Gigabyte Z590 Vision D. The Z590 Vision D EFI folder in HackinDROM will provide a working configuration for you. Some small tweaks might be needed, but I'll defer that to the Z590 experts.

@dehjomz, is there a suitable thread you can point us to?
The following two threads might be very helpful to you: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/z490-z590.308084/ and https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/ohchangs-build-gigabyte-z590-vision-g-i7-10700k-amd-rx580.310986/

I am available to answer any questions you might have.

The following two threads might be very helpful to you: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/z490-z590.308084/ and https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/ohchangs-build-gigabyte-z590-vision-g-i7-10700k-amd-rx580.310986/

I am available to answer any questions you might have.
Thanks, really appreciated.

I read most of the threads you linked, it seems that a lot of workarounds are still needed and probably will ever be on Z590 and Rocket Lake. You know… the 225 LAN port, the TB4, the iGPU, some have issues with PCIe 4.0 NVMEs and so on… maybe I’ll stay with X299 and 9980XE, which pretty much flawless on MacPro7,1 SMBIOS! I’ll eventually upgrade to an X299-A II (newer boards with optimized power delivery and VRMs cooling) and a 10920X (faster clocks even if it has less cores). Do you agree? What do you think of Z590 & Rocket Lake? Am I missing something?

Thanks, really appreciated.

I read most of the threads you linked, it seems that a lot of workarounds are still needed and probably will ever be on Z590 and Rocket Lake. You know… the 225 LAN port, the TB4, the iGPU, some have issues with PCIe 4.0 NVMEs and so on… maybe I’ll stay with X299 and 9980XE, which pretty much flawless on MacPro7,1 SMBIOS! I’ll eventually upgrade to an X299-A II (newer boards with optimized power delivery and VRMs cooling) and a 10920X (faster clocks even if it has less cores). Do you agree? What do you think of Z590 & Rocket Lake? Am I missing something?
Well you have to remember one key principle: if it ain’t broke then don’t fix it. If your hack is already working and performance is acceptable then do you really need to upgrade? If you do need to upgrade and you choose z590 and above, then you will need to tinker, so just brace yourself for some frustration. Keep in mind that there are no macs with the z590 chipset or with rocket lake or maple ridge, so workarounds were always going to be necessary. And the same will be true with alder lake, sapphire rapids, raptor lake and all the new lakes.

We might be excited to see Intel come back and bring performance increases. But we don’t know how or if the new hybrid cores will interact with the power management and thread scheduling features of the macOS kernel that has been built for monolithic big x86 cores. For all we know, running the new lakes on macOS might be a disaster, or it might not, only time will tell. But some significant updates were necessary for the Linux kernel to get ready for alder lake, and we don’t know what, if anything, Apple has baked into its kernel to support hybrid x86 cores.

Also, z590 itself, in my opinion, was a rushed chipset. For whatever reason, Intel felt the need to push rocket lake out in April even though the motherboard bioses and cpu microcode were not ready for prime time. Many of the motherboards from all vendors had some serious bugs in the early bioses. For instance, some of the z590 motherboards had memory training issues and would not post if xmp profiles were turned on with certain ddr4 memory kits. Really bad quality control. Hell, Intel didn’t even release the official windows driver for the new igpu UHD750 graphics until after the product launched and they got called out for it in the press. But the later bioses and microcode updates seem to have turned things around for the most part.

Also, at this point, July 2021, keep in mind that alder lake is going to be announced in August at the hot chips event (see: https://hotchips.org/ Efraim Rotem from Intel will discuss the Alder Lake architecture) and the motherboards and silicon will likely be launched later this year. When that happens, you’ll have a choice between z590 and z690 and rocket lake or alder lake. So if I were you, I’d wait a couple of months to see what’s coming before committing to purchasing any new equipment.

That being said, my z590 vision d works mostly okay. I don’t have any problems with windows and Linux and thunderbolt hotplugging works well on those operating systems. But for some reason on macOS, thunderbolt hotplugging doesn’t work properly (in order for thunderbolt devices to hotplug properly I have to first enter s3 sleep… when the motherboard resumes from sleep, thunderbolt devices attach to the kernel). But it’s not a problem for me because my thunderbolt devices sit on my desk attached to my docks, and I don’t move them around. The other issue is for some unknown reason whenever I restart macOS Big Sur, thunderbolt devices are not available in the preboot environment, so I have to power cycle in order to be able to boot from any thunderbolt drive attached to the thunderbolt bus. This doesn’t happen if I restart from windows or Linux and it seems to have been fixed in Monterey.

That being said, my z590 build is stable, my 11700k is overclocked to 5.2 GHz on 4 cores and 5.0 GHz on 8 cores. It doesn’t crash. It games quite well in windows. The 6800xt is a very good upgrade over my older radeon. I was never really a Radeon fan as I always had nvidia cards, but since the latest nvidia cards stopped working in macOS 10.14 and above, I had to go with team red, and I am very impressed with the 6800xt. So I’m mostly good with my build. But it was a rocky experience in the beginning.

So to summarize: if you can wait a couple of months then I’d advise to do so since alder lake is coming. If you do decide to go with a new cpu and platform to take advantage of the performance increases, you will have to tinker. But such is the nature of hackintosh as we’re running macOS on hardware that Apple probably never tested. But that is part of the fun.

Well you have to remember one key principle: if it ain’t broke then don’t fix it. If your hack is already working and performance is acceptable then do you really need to upgrade? If you do need to upgrade and you choose z590 and above, then you will need to tinker, so just brace yourself for some frustration. Keep in mind that there are no macs with the z590 chipset or with rocket lake or maple ridge, so workarounds were always going to be necessary. And the same will be true with alder lake, sapphire rapids, raptor lake and all the new lakes.

We might be excited to see Intel come back and bring performance increases. But we don’t know how or if the new hybrid cores will interact with the power management and thread scheduling features of the macOS kernel that has been built for monolithic big x86 cores. For all we know, running the new lakes on macOS might be a disaster, or it might not, only time will tell. But some significant updates were necessary for the Linux kernel to get ready for alder lake, and we don’t know what, if anything, Apple has baked into its kernel to support hybrid x86 cores.

Also, z590 itself, in my opinion, was a rushed chipset. For whatever reason, Intel felt the need to push rocket lake out in April even though the motherboard bioses and cpu microcode were not ready for prime time. Many of the motherboards from all vendors had some serious bugs in the early bioses. For instance, some of the z590 motherboards had memory training issues and would not post if xmp profiles were turned on with certain ddr4 memory kits. Really bad quality control. Hell, Intel didn’t even release the official windows driver for the new igpu UHD750 graphics until after the product launched and they got called out for it in the press. But the later bioses and microcode updates seem to have turned things around for the most part.

Also, at this point, July 2021, keep in mind that alder lake is going to be announced in August at the hot chips event (see: https://hotchips.org/ Efraim Rotem from Intel will discuss the Alder Lake architecture) and the motherboards and silicon will likely be launched later this year. When that happens, you’ll have a choice between z590 and z690 and rocket lake or alder lake. So if I were you, I’d wait a couple of months to see what’s coming before committing to purchasing any new equipment.

That being said, my z590 vision d works mostly okay. I don’t have any problems with windows and Linux and thunderbolt hotplugging works well on those operating systems. But for some reason on macOS, thunderbolt hotplugging doesn’t work properly (in order for thunderbolt devices to hotplug properly I have to first enter s3 sleep… when the motherboard resumes from sleep, thunderbolt devices attach to the kernel). But it’s not a problem for me because my thunderbolt devices sit on my desk attached to my docks, and I don’t move them around. The other issue is for some unknown reason whenever I restart macOS Big Sur, thunderbolt devices are not available in the preboot environment, so I have to power cycle in order to be able to boot from any thunderbolt drive attached to the thunderbolt bus. This doesn’t happen if I restart from windows or Linux and it seems to have been fixed in Monterey.

That being said, my z590 build is stable, my 11700k is overclocked to 5.2 GHz on 4 cores and 5.0 GHz on 8 cores. It doesn’t crash. It games quite well in windows. The 6800xt is a very good upgrade over my older radeon. I was never really a Radeon fan as I always had nvidia cards, but since the latest nvidia cards stopped working in macOS 10.14 and above, I had to go with team red, and I am very impressed with the 6800xt. So I’m mostly good with my build. But it was a rocky experience in the beginning.

So to summarize: if you can wait a couple of months then I’d advise to do so since alder lake is coming. If you do decide to go with a new cpu and platform to take advantage of the performance increases, you will have to tinker. But such is the nature of hackintosh as we’re running macOS on hardware that Apple probably never tested. But that is part of the fun.
I read your answer all in one shot and… it’s been great. I totally agree with you, you’re right, I’m sticking with my gear waiting for announcements in a few months. Ice Lake SPs and Alder Lake are almost here, but even the M1X Mac Mini and that could be my coming back to genuine Mac. Thanks for all of your efforts ( @CaseySJ to you too), it’s good to know there are people like you ready to help and stay on the bleeding edge of hacking.

I read your answer all in one shot and… it’s been great. I totally agree with you, you’re right, I’m sticking with my gear waiting for announcements in a few months. Ice Lake SPs and Alder Lake are almost here, but even the M1X Mac Mini and that could be my coming back to genuine Mac. Thanks for all of your efforts ( @CaseySJ to you too), it’s good to know there are people like you ready to help and stay on the bleeding edge of hacking.
I’ve been tinkering since the 386 in the 1990s. I can’t stop! Happy to help!

I too truly believe I will end up purchasing a genuine Mac, like a m2 Mac mini or even a MacBook Pro for my macOS needs in the future. Apple has really hit a home run with its m-series.

Last edited:
Ever since Skylake, it's been an endless stream of Lakes from Intel.
Just when we were guessing the name of the next big cat from Apple after Jaguar, Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard, we got Yosemite!

Just sayin’…

@Inqnuam

I just downloaded HackinDROM from your web site and it gave me version 1.4. I thought I saw reports of a version 1.4.7. Has that later version been recalled?

Anyway, when I try to run HackinDROM, it takes 5-10 seconds for the icon to appear on my menubar. When I select it, the window opens for about 5-10 seconds, then disappears with a crash.

Attached is the crash log.

I'm using OC 0.7.1 with Big Sur 11.4, Designare Z-390.

I know nothing about Mac programming, but the crash log seems to involve networking? For your info I have HughesNet satellite internet which is VERY slow!

Attachments

• HackinDROM_2021-07-10-141636_Super-Hack.crash.zip
    26.4 KB · Views: 50
Back