Contribute
Register

Hack Desk

Cramped suggests clutter, great job!. Can we see the clutter?.
You really want to see it? Alright then...

This is my mini storage room for various tech/hardware. The i7 Mac Mini Server I showed earlier is just behind me. Also elsewhere in the office is a 2006 white Macbook, a Powerbook G5, an i5 Lenovo ThinkCentre, a Pentium Lenovo PC, two NAS drives, some routers, and this old '07 24" iMac on the shelf.

IMG_6497b.png

This is my main work area or 'hack space' - the metal table you see in front of you is over 2.5m long x 1m wide x 1m high and is custom made. The Z270 Asus Prime A build sits just to the right and is connected to three RAID drives, a Drobo 5D, Areca RAID and Pegasus R4 setup, connected to a 32" 4K monitor. I've been using RAID drives for more than two decades, starting with Adaptec Ultrawide SCSI cards on Pentium WinNT 4.0 with 6 x 500MB Quantum drives. The Z270 will soon be replaced by the B550 Vision D as soon as its ready. One of the main reasons why I use Hackintosh is because my studio often works with very large files (ie. between 500MB-2GB each) and Apples offerings are just not up to scratch when it comes to handling them. When you normally work with 32GB of RAM and a highly upgradeable setup (PC) compared to M1 Macs limited to just 16GB of RAM and small fixed storage, it kind of leaves you wanting.

IMG_6502b.png

My 3rd desk (where I often test my new system builds or do 3D printing) with an old 10.9 i7 Mac Mini below. Here I'm testing Big Sur 11.4 on my old GA-Z170N WiFi board. The mice are for the 3 other machines nearby, a Lenovo Win10 PC for admin stuff, the B550 Vision D I'm working on and an old HP Kaby Lake laptop. The Atari ST mousepad is a custom one I'd had specially made because I'd been a ST user for many years.

IMG_6513b.png

You really want to see it? Alright then...

This is my mini storage room for various tech/hardware. The i7 Mac Mini Server I showed earlier is just behind me. Also elsewhere in the office is a 2006 white Macbook, a Powerbook G5, an i5 Lenovo ThinkCentre, a Pentium Lenovo PC, two NAS drives, some routers, and this old '07 24" iMac on the shelf.

View attachment 519766

This is my main work area or 'hack space' - the metal table you see in front of you is over 2.5m long x 1m wide x 1m high and is custom made. The Z270 Asus Prime A build sits just to the right and is connected to three RAID drives, a Drobo 5D, Areca RAID and Pegasus R4 setup, connected to a 32" 4K monitor. I've been using RAID drives for more than two decades, starting with Adaptec Ultrawide SCSI cards on Pentium WinNT 4.0 with 6 x 500MB Quantum drives. The Z270 will soon be replaced by the B550 Vision D as soon as its ready. One of the main reasons why I use Hackintosh is because my studio often works with very large files (ie. between 500MB-2GB each) and Apples offerings are just not up to scratch when it comes to handling them. When you normally work with 32GB of RAM and a highly upgradeable setup (PC) compared to M1 Macs limited to just 16GB of RAM and small fixed storage, it kind of leaves you wanting.

View attachment 519767

My 3rd desk (where I often test my new system builds or do 3D printing) with an old 10.9 i7 Mac Mini below. Here I'm testing Big Sur 11.4 on my old GA-Z170N WiFi board. The mice are for the 3 other machines nearby, a Lenovo Win10 PC for admin stuff, the B550 Vision D I'm working on and an old HP Kaby Lake laptop. The Atari ST mousepad is a custom one I'd had specially made because I'd been a ST user for many years.

View attachment 519769

Great! A bit like one of those Hidden Object games. I only spotted the iMac on the shelf in the top photo when I scrolled back up. :thumbup:

It won't stay this clean forever, just set it up yesterday.

Extremely happy to hear that it won’t stay clean forever.
SHOW ME YOUR DESKS!.

Back