Contribute
Register

Hack Pro will not boot after 10.9.4 update; 4930K - X79 Sabertooth - GTX 780 Ti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Motherboard OR System/Laptop make and model names > See Forum Rules!
CPU
i7-4930K
Graphics
GTX 780 Ti
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
[Solved] Hack Pro will not boot after 10.9.4 update; 4930K - X79 Sabertooth - GTX 780 Ti

Hey everybody,

I had a successful 10.9.3 installation running with the following hardware:

-ASUS X79 Sabertooth MoBo
-Intel i7 4930K
-NVIDIA GTX 780 Ti
-32 GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz
-AData 128 GB SSD (install disk)

When building it, I had similar issues getting the unibeast drive to boot so that I could install it. I eventually got it running by patching mach_kernel, deleting the NVDA kexts, and using the boot flags <string>-f npci=0x2000 PCIRootUID=0</string> //I also used -v while troubleshooting

I followed Stork's instructions for updating:
- Repaired disk permissions
- Backed up installation with CCC
- Have latest Multibeast
- Combo update downloaded and applied
- Reboot. /*Upon initialization, I see the apple logo, the radial spinning lines, and then my screen goes black. My monitor says 'No Signal' and goes to sleep.*/

I've tried adding the boot flags in chimera, in case the boot.plist file got overwritten by the update. No dice. Monitor loses signal at "VM Subsystem Swap is On!"

I've tried booting from the USB, no dice, but I get past VM Subsystem swap.

I've used UseKernelCache=No in both of the above instances. I've also tried adding -x, to no avail.

I'm pretty sure that it's something to do with the graphics card, as most people with comparable processors and motherboards have had no issues with this update.

I have a backup so if I can get the USB running I can restore 10.9.3, and do some extra troubleshooting steps there, like redeleting/patching the NVDA kexts, or patching mach_kernel (I did that for unibeast but never needed to for the main install.)

If anyone has any ideas, a similar problem/lack of problem with the same hardware, etc let me know. Thanks, all!

UPDATE: Can boot into the usb. Cannot boot into main installation from the usb, but it's a start. Can use terminal, disk utility, and restore from backups

Update #2: Is fixed!

I booted into the usb, opened terminal, navigated to my NVDAStartup.kext, edited the .plist.
in vi, i changed
<string>NVDARequiredOS</string>
<key>13D65</key>

to

<string>NVDARequiredOS</string>
<key>13E28</key>

It then started beautifully, without fiddling with anything or using the usb. I followed the rest of Stork's instructions, and had to reinstall my audio fix (HDAEnabler2.kext). Running smoothly now!

and what Boot flag do you use ATM?

^ ^

I have same Symptom with GTX 780 Ti and I installed latest CUDA Driver.
It already applied as followings.

http://pastebin.com/tarkGNvi

But, I still did not resolved this issue.

My boot flags:

-f npci=0x2000 PCIRootUID=0 nvda_drv=1

I don't know how necessary that last one is, but everything is working, and rule #1 is when its working don't f*** with it. Happy Hacking!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back