Contribute
Register

Hack Pro in G4 Case. Extreme Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS ROG GL502VM
I saw a G4 on craigslist for 40 bucks, thought "Hey why the hell not maybe its a go.
System:
GA-X58A-UD3R
EVGA GT 240

Problems:
Mobo fits but the top corner bends when closing the case so i didnt move any further.
Experiment 2: Moved the gfx Card to the second PCI slot, not knowing if it would work or not giving room for the mobo to move up fixing the cut off issue. It worked by the next problem is the case would not close as my the DVD Drive was in the way of where my ram is upon closing.
The I/O Panel only fit to so much, the Plug and Play ports did not make it.

Oh well, Got a Working G4 out of it lol. I think i will attempt a G5 case next. I see successful reports with my board on that case.

Its a lot of work, and a lot of fun, and a lot of money... :D

Alright so i buy the kit and which of those 2 links to i buy? Arent they both blades? Thanks for your help btw, also How can one cut a perfect shape with a dremel? My plan is to cut out the apple logo on a G5 case and make it into a window, and if i fail at that just cut a circle around my failed shape.

The top link are the cut off wheels that suck and the bottom link are the ones that work best, the Dremel tool would not give you a very good cut on something like the apple logo. it does straight lines very well.

If you want to cut out the apple logo and have it look good, I would see if there is a fab shop in you town with a water jet cutter it will give you a better cut than anything you can do by hand. It will cost you about 15 min of time on the machine and 30 min of the tech's time programing the shape in to the computer so you looking at (best guess) between $40 and $70 depending out how nice the guy that owns it is. Or you could make friends with him and and he might do it for free. lol

Holy crap thats cheap, looks like I'm getting some new toys... but I have to say I have a compressor that small spend the cash and get one a little bigger it just does not hold enough are to do much

i dont have time to play around with a silly dremel toy,

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/ ... 47077.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/ ... 91753.html

Dont have a compressor , No problem.

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/ ... 97080.html

then you got real tools for real jobs, not just computer modding.

Did you notice that the cut off tool requires 5.5 cubic feet per minute (CFM) of air at 90 PSI to operate and that the compressor in your list only supplies 0.6 CFM at 90 PSI so it will probably run the cut off tool for a short burst of a few seconds at best.
The saw is slightly better as it only needs 3 CFM so would run for slightly longer but either way that compressor is not powerful enough.
I reckon that compressor is only any good for powering an airbrush or maybe pumping up tyres...

I saw a G4 on craigslist for 40 bucks, thought "Hey why the hell not maybe its a go.
System:
GA-X58A-UD3R
EVGA GT 240

Problems:
Mobo fits but the top corner bends when closing the case so i didnt move any further.
Experiment 2: Moved the gfx Card to the second PCI slot, not knowing if it would work or not giving room for the mobo to move up fixing the cut off issue. It worked by the next problem is the case would not close as my the DVD Drive was in the way of where my ram is upon closing.
The I/O Panel only fit to so much, the Plug and Play ports did not make it.

Oh well, Got a Working G4 out of it lol. I think i will attempt a G5 case next. I see successful reports with my board on that case.

My best advice is to take a look at the other G4 builds. Most of us who have done one left out the DVD drive and did a lot of dry fitting and measuring before we put everything in permanently. Sounds like you went with a full sized board, a mATX board works perfect. The original G4 board is a full sized board but was obviously custom built for the case. It's not impossible if use the correct sized parts and omit "needed" items.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back