Contribute
Register

Hack Pro build using a new Mac Pro case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the reply.

I was reading the first page again..you removed all or some of the motherboard stand offs? How did you replace them? Not glue, right? Sorry if the answer is somewhere in here.

The way I did it was to screw the stand offs to the motherboard and test fit it and make sure it fit well and when I know exactly where I wanted it, I put a blob of JB Weld on the bottom of the stand offs and set it in place and used the video card to make sure it stayed in place as the weld set up.

You can do it a number of different ways, this way was quick and easy, you could also get a mother board tray and cut out the back of the case and mount it that way, it gives a much cleaner look but take more metal working skills.
post-jbweld.jpg

Thanks a lot for the info man! That JB weld stuff, it will make the bond as strong as it was before?

its very strong, I have never tried to break it off but my guess is its stronger than the post were before since I can snap them off with pliers with very little force.

that sounds good! now all i need to do is some cutting to fit an atx board

you will not need to cut the mounting post off, you can snap them right off with pliers

yeah thanks, but i do need to cut that divider thing the power supply rests on to be able to have a full atx inside. if only i could figure out how to get it off first...

I have no idea how to get that out, I never tried. If you want to do a full ATX a PowerMac g5 works better it has room without cutting.

Yeah, too bad the ones for sale seem to be scratched up :( Looking online, I have seen people manage atx boards in the mac pro case, so it can be done :clap:

Yeah, should be cool when your done, when you get started post us some pics so we can see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back