Contribute
Register

H97 Plus boot Issues on Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there, I've got the following problem:

I installed OS Sierra with the standard procedure and everything went smooth. However, when I try to boot into Sierra without "-x" (safe Mode) I get the following errors:

20170105_105409.jpg
: operation failed (pld: 32 sel: 7 ...ect)
Warning: IOPlatformPluginUtil : getCPUIDInfo: this is an unknown CPU model 8x3c

Then there are some ACPI infos

The boot stops with the following lines:
Sound assertion in AppleHDADriver at line 1664
Sound assertion in AppleHDADriver at line 2324

Is graphics acceleration in safe mode supported? Safe Mode works but due to the 4k Display animations are horribly slow.

So does anybody have a similar issue or knows how to proceed? I've heard that Sound Asssertion is a ubiquitous error code that does not necessarily have anything to do with sound. I even disabled the Onboard Sound and Network chips, to no avail.

And a general question: how do you insert kexts into Clover so that it boots with them?

My System has the following Specs:

Intel Xeon 1231v3
Shappire 290X Trix
H97 Plus Asus

Intel Xeon 1231v3
H97 Plus Asus
getCPUIDInfo: this is an unknown CPU model 8x3c

I'm surprised it even worked. H97 doesn't support Xeon cpus.

Well it does :) Maybe not officially but before I bought the built I made sure it works flawlessly. I could even enable All Core Turbo Mode so that every Core is locked to 3.8 Ghz.

All the stuff I assumed that could be the reason of Sierra not booting correctly turned out to be graphics card related. The 290X is just not supported.

Since the errors are only visible to the point where the graphics drivers would be initialized, it is never shown why the System wont boot.

Ended up installing El Capitan. To my surprise graphics worked right from the start. I got sound and Lan working after putting in some kexts. However, resume from standby nor hibernation works. Can't even turn the screen off as artifacts will appear after reactivation. It's a shame but as Mac has this great feature of reopening all the programs and pages after a shutdown, it isn't so bad. I'm now thinking of upgrading to a 1070 and it's pitiful that I won't be able to use a hackintosh anymore :'(

All the stuff I assumed that could be the reason of Sierra not booting correctly turned out to be graphics card related. The 290X is just not supported.

Ended up installing El Capitan. To my surprise graphics worked right from the start. ... Resume from standby nor hibernation works. ... I'm now thinking of upgrading to a 1070 and it's pitiful that I won't be able to use a Hackintosh anymore.

I stuck with El Cap even though I eventually did get Sierra to install correctly. I just pulled the Sierra disk and put it away for future use, if I so desire.

The nVidia GTX 1070 may be supported in the future. Who knows?

Since you're using EL Cap why not consider a GTX 980 (165W) or 980Ti (250W)? After all, at ~$350 there's still some new ones available on ebay, for example a Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB 384-bit GDDR5 AMP vid card. Does it work flawlessly with OSX? idk. Me, I'd probably be more inclined to go with with an MSI that has a full shroud and exhausts the heat through the back. (I kinda like the look of my Apple HD 4980 in my Mac Pro. The darn thing is a space heater, though. Okay for winter use.) The GTX980TI is comparable to the GTX1070, performance wise. Yeah, it's not future proof, but neither is the Z97. (But, then again, Skylake has problems with hibernation, deep sleep, too, and Linux. I keep wondering if Skylake has a CPU backdoor... )

Yeah I did exactly that and ordered a 980 Ti. Has the same power than the 1070 and is similarly priced. Why are you back to El Capitan?

Buying parts for a hackintosh feels like gambling. Back when I ordered my system I played with the thought of doing a hackintosh and the 290x felt like the natural choice as iMacs were all sporting AMD Cards back then. Who knows if the next update might render the 980 Ti useless

Buying parts for a hackintosh feels like gambling.]

That's why the suggestions here are so valuable. Somethings outside their suggestions, say going with 6GB or 8GB GPUs instead of staying with the 4GB GPU cards, could be a gamble. For example it could be that dual displays don't work, HDMI sound doesn't work, sleep, hybrid sleep, hibernation don't work, etc. There have been a few guys who have had success, though. Sometimes you have to have patience, other times you just have to give up and try something else, like a card that they suggested.

In my case I don't do sleep or hibernation since I tend to completely turn off my PCs and Macs when not in use.

[Who knows if the next update might render the 980 Ti useless

That's when you go with Linux, or you stay with El Cap or Sierra - after TonyMac's gurus have had a chance to debug the problem. If they say that it can't be done then it's time to move on.

As to why I kept El Cap instead of Sierra, it's for the usual reason - as a protest to having everything I do on a computer be shouted out to the world. It's why I don't use W10 at home and why I didn't go with Ubuntu. ymmv.

But, don't give up on the 290X. I don't know what you were using it for, but if you have another machine you could throw it in there and just use it for that single purpose. Throw as much memory as it can take, maybe upgrade the disk drives, maybe throw in the fastest CPU it can take, and you could extend its life by years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back