Contribute
Register

H370, B360 and H310 motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to Toledo, your Gigabyte B360M board should have worked. See: #706
It would have required the m.2 NGFF adapter card to then fit one of the required M.2 Type E Broadcom cards to handle WiFi/BT. There is only one M.2 slot on that board so users will then be required to use only standard SATA connected HDD/SSDs.

Also he may be referring to the standard B360 board, not the M-itx version. Or could be talking generalities between the three companies (Asus, Asrock and Gigabyte).

That's not what it said... "M.2 socket may support both the CNVi and standard M.2 Key A or E for Intel® Wireless-AC 9260." The 9260 looks like this:

51k1qwxTWHL._AC_US160_.jpg

Did you actually try it?

That's not what it said... "M.2 socket may support both the CNVi and standard M.2 Key A or E for Intel® Wireless-AC 9260." The 9260 looks like this:

View attachment 382119

Did you actually try it?

No you are right I didn't. I didn't simply because the hassle of it "potentially" working was not worth it to me. From everything that I was reading on CNVi, the wireless portion is actually built into the chipset that is integrated into the board. The part that the antenna attach to is more of a relay card/attachment point (my own interpretation) vs. an actual card that houses either the WiFi or BT portion. This is all built around that fact that the CNVi chipset is a newer tech from Intel and thus potentially will cause more issues than something that has been tested, tried and true like the normal Broadcom chips found in Toleda's thread.

Again, this is all my interpretation and opinion on it. After going through multiple threads, research, etc. it was shown that going with a standards and supported Broadcom chip on a mobo that does not potentially have an interfering technology (such as CNVi) I decided to return the board and go with something that was a bit more standard and utilized. That's all, nothing more.

No problem, just wanted to know if we had conclusive proof on that board.
I think the whole CNVI thing kinda sux

Yeah agreed and nothing concrete from what I have read, just enough warning signs and red flags that if you are wanting to use an integrated m.2 type card your best bet is to go with another board or go with a USB stick that does both. After doing my reading, it was enough that I decided to return the board and not have to mess with it. Getting my ASRock z370m-itx up and running was quite easy. Old m.2 type antenna/card comes out, drop one of the approved Broadcom cards in and connect antenna. Go through process of doing wifi setup and bluetooth injections and you are done. Only thing easier was figuring out the onboard lan and dropping the IntelMausiEthernet.kext into clover>kexts>other and rebooting to have that work.

The problem for us is the fact that no one wants to risk buying an ITX board with an M.2 A/E slot that can't be used and we DON'T want to be stuck with USB for wifi and BT. Even if I could use the nvme slot for wifi, that would really suck because I'd be stuck with slow SATA drives.

The problem for us is the fact that no one wants to risk buying an ITX board with an M.2 A/E slot that can't be used and we DON'T want to be stuck with USB for wifi and BT. Even if I could use the nvme slot for wifi, that would really suck because I'd be stuck with slow SATA drives.

Exactly. Problem is that we need to get someone (electrical engineer for computers/mobos) with an understanding of how the CNVi chipset is actually being setup. In my very unprofessional review of a few documents talking about the CNVi chipset, my gathering was that the CNVi chipset actually lives on the mobo as an integrated chip. The M.2 slot that we see with the WiFi antenna coming out seems to be nothing more than an antenna header and relay to allow for a connection point. Now this could, and probably is, a very inaccurate statement but without someone getting into the meat of the board and chipsets to figure it out (and hoping that all board manufacturers do it the exact same) we will probably not know for some time.

I have successfully installed High Sierra on an ASUS Prime B360M-A. I have attached my EFI file below. It works quite well. It may need to be tweaked if you are not using this exact board. Good luck.

Attachments

• EFI-ASUS B360M-A High Sierra.zip
    3 MB · Views: 266
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back