i3-9100F
Graphics
AMD R9 390 Nitro
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. Other
Hey everyone, I have gone and picked up a Gigabyte H310 2.0 motherboard and an i3 9100F. I am wondering if there is anyway that I can install high sierra on this computer.

Thanks so much!

Hey everyone, I have gone and picked up a Gigabyte H310 2.0 motherboard and an i3 9100F. I am wondering if there is anyway that I can install high sierra on this computer.

Thanks so much!

Yes you can. Just follow the Guide here.

Having said that your 9800GT GPU may be a problem. Happily the i3-9100 has its own UHD 630 iGPU and this is probably more powerful than such an old PCI-e card which doesn't support "Metal" anyway. Maybe use that instead.

:)

Alas, I have the 9100F, that requires a discrete GPU. is there any way to even boot into the installer with that GPU?

Thanks so much!

Alas, I have the 9100F, that requires a discrete GPU. is there any way to even boot into the installer with that GPU?

Thanks so much!

I'm sorry, I missed that. My bad.

The 9800GT might allow an install but not being "Metal" capable you would probably have to forget Mojave and go with High Sierra instead, for which there are Nvidia drivers available.

:)

Alas, I have the 9100F, that requires a discrete GPU.

The 9800GT is almost 12 years old. Probably best to upgrade that somewhat. Even an Nvidia Kepler card from 2012/13 is a big step up and is Mojave compatible.

Screen Shot 8.jpg

Here's the lowest cost, natively supported by Mojave/Catalina, graphics card you can buy. Support could possibly end after Catalina. We'll know in a few months from now.

Last edited:
Thanks! I was already planning on upgrading. Thanks anyway though!

So you're saying that high sierra will support that card? that would be really nice!

The 9800GT?

So you're saying that high sierra will support that card? that would be really nice!
9800 GT owners started reporting problems with Sierra so I doubt it would work with High Sierra.

There may be some "hacky approaches" available to make it work but if you can't even install the OS first, it's difficult to implement them.

Last edited:
Okay, thanks a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back