2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Z97MX-Gaming 5 | i7-4790K | GTX 970 G1 | 32GB DDR3 | 250GB SSD
UniBeast 6.1.1 | MultiBeast 8 | OS X 10.11.1 El Capitan

Z97MX-GAMING 5.png
This install guide is for the GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5. I built this system to go into a modded PowerMac G5 case. For the main part of the guide I will be using the HD4600 Internal Graphics as the case mod is not complete. I will update the guide for the GTX 970 G1 as soon as the final parts arrive from The Laser Hive in the UK. I did not want to install the GPU as my "test bench" has no way to support the card, but I did want the title to reflect the final configuration. I will however, at the end of the guide, note what 'should' work.
(SEE UPDATE - GPU INSTALLED)

For the installation of OS X 10.11.1 I used a blank 250GB SSD. This install was the smoothest I have ever had, even beating out my Z77X-UD5H. For the install I used the latest UniBeast and MultiBeast. For my previous guide I had used the stand alone version of Clover, but here I figured most people would be using MultiBeast. If there is a need to see the installation steps using Clover, I can provide those upon request. PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE GUIDE BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO FOLLOW IT!

PRE-INSTALL
After downloading El Capitan from the App Store, you are going to create your UniBeast install media. This guide requires the use of a 16GB USB drive, as we will be placing a post install folder on the drive. Alternatively you could use two 8GB drives, as long as, after formatting one of them has the required 7.61GB of free space. For testing purposes I used a 32GB USB 3.0 drive. This is not recommended practice as you may run into issue's using USB 3.0 and was only done as a test.

Download the latest UniBeast and run the application. After a series of continues and an agree, I selected my USB drive as the destination. Next select El Capitan. On Bootoader Configuration I've selected UEFI. Nothing was selected at the Graphics Configuration as the config.plist created already includes inject Intel. Next I was presented with the Verify Installation Options screen. Select continue, and enter your password. It's now installation time. UniBeast creates a bootable USB drive, containing the installer and the Clover bootloader. As I was using a USB 3.0 device in a USB 3.0 port, this process was extremely fast; only taking a few minutes. After creation of your UniBeast installer, open it up in Finder and copy the Post Install folder that you downloaded from the Post Install Files section of this guide. Also download the latest version of MultiBeast and place it inside the Post Install folder.

ub2 copy.pngUB4.pngUB3.pngUB2.pngub5.pngUB6.png

BIOS CONFIGURATION
These are the BIOS setting I am using for this install. First you want to load Optimized Defaults. Here are the highlights of the settings: BIOS is F5. X.M.P is set to Profile 1 (I am using 1866 MHz DDR3, if you are using standard 1600 MHz then this is not needed). SATA is set to AHCI and XHCI is set to Smart Auto. The latter is essential in fixing USB 3.0. XHCI and EHCI Hand-off are both Enabled. Intel Processor Graphics are enabled.
1.png1.1.png2.png3.png3.1.png4.png5.png

INSTALL

I inserted the USB 3.0, UniBeast installer into a USB 2.0 port on the rear I/O. Again the use of a USB 3.0 drive is not recommended and if you choose to go this route and run into any issues, I would recommend switching to a USB 2.0 drive placed into a USB 2.0 port. I booted the system, continually pressing the hotkey (Delete) to get into the BIOS. Once in the BIOS, I made the above BIOS changes. Next I chose save and exit > reboot. This time I continually pressed the hotkey (F12) to reach the BIOS boot menu. From the BIOS boot menu I selected UEFI USB HDD.

Booting from UEFI USB HDD sends me to the tonymacx86 Clover boot menu. At the boot menu, I used the arrow keys until I reached: Boot Mac OS X from USB. No additional boot arguments were used. Once this option has been selected I hit enter and this took me to the installer.

Once in the installer, I erased and formatted the drive I was going to be installing on. For full instructions, see the UniBeast 10.11 Install Guide. Basically you are going to use Disk Utility to format the drive, Extended (Journaled), GUID Partition Map. I named my partition El Capitan. Upon closing Disk Utility, I was asked where I wanted to install and I chose El Capitan. The install took about 20 minutes. Upon completion the system will auto reboot.

On the reboot you are going to want to once again use the hotkey (F12) to get into the BIOS boot menu. Again I selected UEFI USB HDD. Booting from UEFI USB HDD again takes me to the Clover boot menu. At the boot menu, I chose: Boot Mac OS X from El Capitan. Next was the setup process, it is pretty self explanatory. The two things I will note are to not sign in with your AppleID, we do not not want to log any information about this CustoMac with Apple until we have setup iMessage. Also do not Transfer Information to This Mac. You can use Migration Assistant to do this later. Next I was presented with the desktop. Time for post install.

POST INSTALLATION
Post installation is going to consist of 3 parts. Running MultiBeast to install our Audio and Ethernet Drivers, along with the Clover Bootloader and to select the proper System Definition. Changes to boot options using Clover configurator, and configuring USB 3.0. From your UniBeast USB, copy the Post Install folder to the desktop. Do not reboot until all post installation tasks have been completed.

Running MultiBeast.
Open MultiBeast from the Post Install folder on your desktop. I did not choose to use the Quick Start option, as this will give you a System Definition of MacPro 3,1. We Can easily select the correct System Definition and the other items that the Quick Start provides.

Select the Drivers section from the top menu bar of MultiBeast, and click on the Audio icon on the left. Open up Realtek ALCxxx and select ALC1150. You can also chose to select "Optional HD 4600 HDMI Audio" but note that to get HDMI audio working it requires additional framebuffer patches. Next pick the Misc icon from the left and select all three FakeSMC options. Finally on the Network tab, open Atheros and select AtherosE2200Ethernet.

Next select the Bootloaders section, again from the top menu bar of MultiBeast. Choose Clover for UEFI Boot Mode. Move over to the Customize section and open iMac. Select iMac 14,2. Finally select the Build tab and you will be presented with a list of the selected configuration items. On the right, make sure that your system drive is selected and click Install from the bottom right corner.

You will be asked to agree to the software terms and then for your password. After entering your password, click Install Helper. When the installation is finished you will be presented with an "Install Succeeded" screen, and at this point you can close the software.

MB1.pngMB2.pngMB3.pngMB4.pngMB5.pngMB6.pngMB7.pngMB8.png

System Changes
Open Clover Configurator - Right click > open > open. This will bring up a Clover screen with several config.plists located across the bottom of the CC screen. You want the config.plist with the path EFI > EFI > CLOVER > config.plist. Select the config.plist icon and you will be presented with the main Clover Configurator UI.

Select Boot, from the options on the left. Near the top right you will find an entry for Default Boot Volume. I want Clover to boot to the new installation, so I entered El Capitan. Down one row, and to the right, select XMPDetection=Yes (Again I am using 1866 MHz DDR3, if you are using standard 1600 MHz then this is not needed). Thats it for Clover Configurator. Command+S to save to the original location and close the application.

CC3.pngCC4.png

Fixing USB 3.0
Upon completion of install I only had 1 of the six available USB 3.0 ports working. I will spare you all the troubles I went through in getting USB 3.0 working and just provide you with the fix. After figuring it out, the fix is really quite simple. First you are going to want to download RehabMans, latest FakePCID package here: OS X FakePCID. From that download, you are going to want to grab FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext. I have included copies of the current version of these kexts, in the Post Install 'Files' folder. These kexts force USB2 devices on XHCI to be routed to the EHCI controller, thus leaving room for the other ports on XHCI, while still staying within the 15 port limit. These kexts can either be placed in Library/Extension through the use of KextBeast, or manually placed in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11. The choice is really up to you, they will both work essentially the same. I like to install my kexts in the appropriate Clover folder; however, this requires mounting the EFI partition while installing to Library/Extensions requires the use of KextBeast or something similar. I would like to credit ammulder for the help he provided here.

THAT COMPLETES POST INSTALL - TIME TO REBOOT

THINGS TO CHECK
AUDIO FUNCTION
Navigate to system preferences and select sound. On the output tab, the section to select an audio device for sound output should be populated with four choices. If the section remains unpopulated, see No Audio Devices - Realtek ALC AppleHDA for more information. The "Internal Speakers" device in the list, and its corresponding "Line Out" jack on the motherboard I/O (marked with the yellow circle), are the correct selections for enabling audio. However, if these do not provide working audio, check other possible combinations of audio device and I/O jack. If all other combinations fail to provide working audio, see No Sound - Realtek ALC AppleHDA for more information.
audio device output.pngNATIVE CPU POWER MANAGEMENT
The complete guide is located here: Native CPU/IGPU Power Management. While I thought about explaining how to setup CPU Power Management in this guide, I ultimately decided it would be best to show that Native PM is possible with this setup, and how to check your current values, so you can decide how pertinent implementing a fix would be. To check your current CPU P-States, place AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementInfo.kext in /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11 and reboot. In Terminal, run
Code:
cat /var/log/system.log | grep "AICPUPMI:"
Good news for any of you that are running an i7 4790K, as I have done the work for you. The SSDT is located in the Post Install, Files folder, titled by CPU. Select the SSDT and place in /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched. You do need to drop two ACPI tables: SSDT/CpuPm and Cpu0Ist. See the Native CPU/IGPU Power Management guide for the procedure for implementing this change.
Update from Post #33
I recently found out from toleda that a second SSDT is needed for 9 Series boards. See Post# 530 for more information. You can get the latest SSDT here: https://github.com/toleda/audio_hdmi_9series I have included the latest update... View attachment 165215 The .zip has a PDF of instructions on how to name and install
The following is what the ACPI section of my config.plist looks like:
Code:
<dict>
    <key>ACPI</key>
    <dict>
        <key>DSDT</key>
        <dict>
            <key>Debug</key>
            <false/>
            <key>DropOEM_DSM</key>
            <false/>
            <key>Name</key>
            <string>DSDT.aml</string>
            <key>ReuseFFFF</key>
            <false/>
        </dict>
        <key>DropTables</key>
        <array>
            <dict>
                <key>Signature</key>
                <string>SSDT</string>
                <key>TableId</key>
                <string>Cpu0Ist</string>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Signature</key>
                <string>SSDT</string>
                <key>TableId</key>
                <string>CpuPm</string>
            </dict>
        </array>
        <key>SSDT</key>
        <dict>
            <key>DropOem</key>
            <false/>
            <key>Generate</key>
            <false/>
        </dict>
    </dict>
Prior to implementing Native Power Management, my system was stuck in Turbo and the temperatures were quite high. You can see this from the screenshot on the left. After creation of the PM SSDT the system started to behave normally and the temps dropped significantly (right screenshot).

IPG B4.pngIPG After.png
As you can see, after implementation of native PM, this build is returning all CPU/IGPU P-States. Do not be alarmed if the top end P-States are not showing. As RehabMan explained to me "Per Intel spec, some of the top turbo states require only a single core to be active."
AICPUPMI-After.png
USB STATUS
After fixing the USB 3.0 issues, all USB ports, both 2.0 and 3.0 are working. The following screenshots show a Sandisk Extreme plugged into a USB 3.0 port and you can see it registering in System Information at the correct speed. This was confirmed by a BlackMagic Disk Speed Test.
SysInfoUSB3.pngBM USB3.png
IDENTIFYING THE INTEL 9 SERIES CHIPSET
In order to see the Intel 9 Series Chipset instead of "generic AHCI controller" in System Information you need an additional kext to properly identify this. I have included the AHCI_Intel_Generic_SATA.kext in the Post Install 'Files' folder. Place this kext in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11.

Intel 9 Series Chipset.png
POST INSTALL FILES
Download the View attachment Post Install.zip which contains all of the required files and apps (minus MultiBeast) necessary for post install. Inside the .zip file, you will find one folder named Post Install. This folder should be copied to your UniBeast USB drive. I have also included the kext and app necessary to evaluate current CPU PM. Your UniBeast USB file structure should look like the following:

UniBeast File Structure.pngBENCHMARKS
Geekbench.png
UH2.png

Hope this Helps!

UPDATES

INSTALLING THE GTX 970 G1
Download the latest version of the NVIDIA Graphics Drivers, and install them. Upon completion of install, you will need to reboot. After reboot, check to make sure the drivers are initialized. You should now be able power down, install the GPU and boot into OS X normally.

Updated to OS X 10.11.2
December 9, 2015 - Successful update via MAS. Update did not affect USB 2.0/3.0. Audio remained after update
Screenshot 2015-12-09 08.16.51.png

Very nice write up!

I am curious though - since i have the same exact build as you do - I did my install with Clover, and the only extra kexts that I installed are my Ethernet, FakeSMC, FakePCIID_XHCIMux and FakePCIID. If my temps are sitting at 28-30 degrees, do I need to worry about my Power Management? What would be the benefit of going through the process you mentioned?

Screen Shot 2015-11-21 at 8.36.39 PM.png

Also as a side note - I eventually gave up on the audio in 10.10, and got an external DAC, which works great.

Thanks again!

Very nice write up!

I am curious though - since i have the same exact build as you do - I did my install with Clover, and the only extra kexts that I installed are my Ethernet, FakeSMC, FakePCIID_XHCIMux and FakePCIID. If my temps are sitting at 28-30 degrees, do I need to worry about my Power Management? What would be the benefit of going through the process you mentioned?

Also as a side note - I eventually gave up on the audio in 10.10, and got an external DAC, which works great.

Thanks again!

You really should not be basing it on temperature, and maybe I over emphasize that. It could be that your system is refusing to go into a turbo state. If I were you, I would either; install the SSDT (and the correct changes to config.plist) and compare to current functionality or install AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementInfo.kext and verify what your current P-States are. Also use Intel Power Gadget to see how the CPU is reacting to normal operations and "stress" tests.

Hi pal i followed guide and all is well i have a z97x gaming 7 but to get my usb3 working at full speed i after boot my hack up and my usb3 hdd shows has usb3 480mb. I unplug it and put back in and shows has usb 3 5gig and runs very fast. it works the same on all my usb 3 ports once i restart i after unplug it in and out for usb 3 speed???

Wow i copied FakePCIID_XHCIMux and FakePCIID to library/extensions and it works perfect before i put them in system/library/extensions well kext beast did. I manually did the fix and works perfect no unplug to make it work on reboot :)

Last edited:
Hmm, weird - after I installed the SSDT and made the proper changes to my config.plist, the Intel Power Gadget keeps fluctuating between between 4.01GHz and 4.33GHz, whereas before the patch it would only occasionally hit 4.20...

Any ideas?

Hmm, weird - after I installed the SSDT and made the proper changes to my config.plist, the Intel Power Gadget keeps fluctuating between between 4.01GHz and 4.33GHz, whereas before the patch it would only occasionally hit 4.20...

Any ideas?
If you are correctly dropping the tables and using the SSDT it should idle (nothing operating) between .8GHz and 2GHz.. with the occasional spike... And turbo up to the 4.4GHz.

Please post a screenshot of Intel Power Gadget under idle conditions and under a heavy load (handbrake etc)
Screen Shot 2015-11-22 at 3.33.08 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-11-22 at 3.33.37 PM.png

Here is one just idling, and the other while running GeekBench 3 (The heaviest thing I could think off.)
Screen Shot 2015-11-22 at 5.33.01 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-11-22 at 5.35.34 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-11-22 at 5.38.00 PM.png

iStat Menus shows the processor as operating normally (you can see the spike where I did the test.)

Thanks for all the help! I have to say that I'm much better at hardware, software isn't really my forte, at least not yet :p

EDIT: Added Clover screen shot
Screen Shot 2015-11-22 at 5.48.07 PM.png

Here is one just idling, and the other while running GeekBench 3 (The heaviest thing I could think off.)
View attachment 163674View attachment 163675View attachment 163678

iStat Menus shows the processor as operating normally (you can see the spike where I did the test.)

Thanks for all the help! I have to say that I'm much better at hardware, software isn't really my forte, at least not yet :p

In the http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...vericks-native-cpu-igpu-power-management.html guide, it shows several checks to perform to see if its loading. Can you do those checks. It seems as if the SSDT is not loading.

Look particularly at
  1. Copy of IORegistryExplorer
    1. IOReg/File/Save a Copy As…, verify file (no ioreg.txt)
  2. DPCIManager/Misc/Boot Log

You can also upload these and I can look at them :thumbup:

EDIT**
Also please tell me how you got iStat working. I still cannot; although I havent looked into it in quite a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back