Contribute
Register

[Guide] Z97MX-Gaming 5 | i7 4790K | GTX 970 G1 | OS X 10.11

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about to order this motherboard but before I do, I have a couple of questions:

1- Can you confirm iMessage works?
2- How about AirDrop?
3- Have you tested all the USB3 ports? (paranoid I am)
4- Ethernet speeds working fine?
5- Have you overlocked it yet? If so, stock CPU fan?

thanks!

I'm about to order this motherboard but before I do, I have a couple of questions:

1- Can you confirm iMessage works?
2- How about AirDrop?
3- Have you tested all the USB3 ports? (paranoid I am)
4- Ethernet speeds working fine?
5- Have you overlocked it yet? If so, stock CPU fan?

thanks!

1. iMessage works
  2. I do not use nor have I tested
  3. The guide explains how to get all USB 3.0 ports working
  4. Ethernet works as intended
  5. I have not OC'd the system. If you are going to, DO NOT use the stock CPU cooler. It does not work well enough to handle the extra temps

Two more questions and thank you for your help!

1- Airplay work?
2- I'm considering getting the ATX version of this motherboard to have some extra slots (wifi, firewire, and possibly thunderbolt). I haven't noticed a comprehensive guide like yours for the ATX version- any idea if this guide will work reliably on that board?

thanks again!
  1. iMessage works
  2. I do not use nor have I tested
  3. The guide explains how to get all USB 3.0 ports working
  4. Ethernet works as intended
  5. I have not OC'd the system. If you are going to, DO NOT use the stock CPU cooler. It does not work well enough to handle the extra temps

Two more questions and thank you for your help!

1- Airplay work?
2- I'm considering getting the ATX version of this motherboard to have some extra slots (wifi, firewire, and possibly thunderbolt). I haven't noticed a comprehensive guide like yours for the ATX version- any idea if this guide will work reliably on that board?

thanks again!

1. I have not tested
  2. The guide should work exactly the same, as the boards run the same chipsets. They are basically just different in size, PCIe availability.

EDIT: I was wrong! I have a nearly identical build, with a GTX 970 instead of 980 - but all AirPlay functions work great! You have to be using the OS X Default Graphics Driver as the nVidia driver does not support AirPlay video.

1- Wouldn't the default driver be slower/less optimal?

2- Would this apply to iTunes streaming via airplay? (music)

1- Wouldn't the default driver be slower/less optimal?

2- Would this apply to iTunes streaming via airplay? (music)

2. iTunes audio is unaffected by the driver - its only requirement is that there is wifi and a device to send the audio to.

1. Apparently this is a sort of bug? While OS X is reporting that it's using the default OS X driver it's not. http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...hics-driver-overriding-nvidia-web-driver.html I confirmed in terminal that the nVidia driver is loaded - if you have the nvda_drv=1 boot flag on, then it will load the nVidia driver regardless. So the happy added benefit is that now apparently video AirPlay works as well - I just tested it and it all works flawlessly.

hope that makes sense -

Why would iTunes airplay audio require wifi? strange.

And thanks regarding the OS X driver!

I am about to order the ATX version of this motherboard right now! I'm excited as this is my first hackintosh since I built two of them a while back (Phenom 970 and an Intel core 2)

2. iTunes audio is unaffected by the driver - its only requirement is that there is wifi and a device to send the audio to.

1. Apparently this is a sort of bug? While OS X is reporting that it's using the default OS X driver it's not. http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...hics-driver-overriding-nvidia-web-driver.html I confirmed in terminal that the nVidia driver is loaded - if you have the nvda_drv=1 boot flag on, then it will load the nVidia driver regardless. So the happy added benefit is that now apparently video AirPlay works as well - I just tested it and it all works flawlessly.

hope that makes sense -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back