HD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Fanless mini Mojave: i5-8600 | Gigabyte Z370N WiFi | Intel HD630

Notes:
  • I am no longer monitoring this thread. While this guide may still work, I recommend finding an active thread.
  • This community is outstanding. Thanks specifically to b166ar and also to inarush for their support and encouragement.
  • The original guide continues ...
  • Thanks to b166ar for this very helpful guide. Built my own EFI/Config taking advice from that and other Z370N builds.
  • Chose the Z370N WiFi because it has HDMI 2.0 for my widescreen monitor and also DP.
  • Removed the supplied network card and used the Broadcom BCM94360CS2 card for native BT/WiFi.
  • If you don't want to go through the build steps below, you can follow the standard install instructions using the latest Unibeast on a USB2 stick and install. Then just install my EFI folder and /L/E kexts attached below, following the README instructions.
Components:
  1. Gigabyte Z370N WiFi
  2. I5-8600
  3. Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2400MHz
  4. Intel HD630 (onboard)
  5. Samsung 850 EVO (from older build)
  6. Broadcom BCM94360CS2 in a NGFF to M.2 adapter (previously used TP-Link Archer T9E AC1900 & IOGEAR Bluetooth 4.0 USB Micro Adapter -- the WiFi card is excellent but the BT dongle not as good as an internal card)
  7. Fanless Streacom FC8 Alpha Mini-ITX chassis
Build:
  1. If the BIOS of the Z370N is more than F10 you need to change it using a modified Grub shell. The current one is F12 and follow these instructions. Some comments from me are here. If not sure, the highest working BIOS is F10.
  2. BIOS settings are:
    • Set Peripherals/Initial Display Output: IGFX
    • Set Peripherals/USB Config/Set XHCI Handoff: Enabled
    • Set Chipset/VT-d: Disabled
    • Set Chipset/Internal graphics: Enabled
    • Set Chipset/DVMT Pre-allocated: 128M
    • Set Chipset/DVMT Total GFX Mem: 256M
  3. Follow the standard install instructions using the latest Unibeast on a USB2 stick and install.
  4. Prepare the USB Port fix SSDT (all done on a Mac):
    1. Read the [Guide] Creating a Custom SSDT for USBInjectAll.kext, written by @RehabMan. Don't panic! It's for your reference and perhaps troubleshooting, but all you need to do is download the MaciASL tool (on 1st page).
    2. Download my SSDT source (attached, SSDT-UIAC-ALL.dsl) and open it in a text editor. You'll see each of the USB ports on the Z370N m/b. You can't have them all, so choose which ones you want. Simply comment out as I did, and remove my comments if you want those ones.
    3. Open the SSDT source in the MaciASL tool, compile it by saving as ACPI Machine Language Binary. Then add the binary to the root directory of your install thumb drive so it will be available during the install.
    4. Also make sure you have the latest Multibeast on the drive as well. I used the last High Sierra one and it worked okay, but a Mojave one when available will be best.
    5. Lastly, you need the latest USBInjectAll kext on the install drive too.
  5. Boot using the install USB stick. Follow the install instructions.
  6. On the completed boot into the hard drive, I copied the EFI partition from the install boot USB onto the machine’s EFI (mount each as \Volumes\EFI and EFI2 and use Finder to copy/paste). Or you could run Multibeast and install EFI/Clover etc that way.
  7. Next, before rebooting, fix up the USB problem, using Clover Configurator on the Config.plist on the new Mojave drive:
    1. Add to Config.plist->Acpi->Patches:
      1. Item:
        1. Comment: change XHCI to XHC
        2. Find: <58484349>
        3. Replace: <5848435F>
    2. Copy the compiled SSDT from the install drive into EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched on the Mojave EFI drive. Use SSDT-UIAC.aml for the name.
    3. Install the latest USBInjectAll kext in L/E:
      1. sudo cp -R Release/USBInjectAll.kext /Library/Extensions
      2. sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /
    4. At this point, you should be able to reboot into Mojave with full working ports, as per your choice in the SSDT
  8. In Clover Configurator open the Config.plist in your Mojave EFI drive and set the following:
    1. Boot->Darkwake=0 (works fine)
    2. Devices->Fake ID->intelgfx=0, Audio=7
    3. Graphics->ig-platfom-id=0
    4. RTVariables->UseMacrAddr0, BooterConfig=0x28, CSRActiveConfig=0x67 (no SIP, change after install to 0x0, see)
    5. SMBios->Model lookup, set type = 18.1 (populates all fields)
    6. System Parameters->Inject Kexts=Detect, Inject System ID=tick
    7. Devices->Properties tab
      1. As a result of work by @Rajkhand the list of property entries has updated with definitions for DP as well as HDMI, plus allocating 2048MB for igpu memory. In the attached file "property-entries.txt" you can select all the text and paste it using a text editor into a COPY of your current config.plist. Make sure you're replacing the right entry. Save the file and check with Clover Configurator that it looks okay. Also do a "diff <file1> <file2>" to check the only changes are what you're expecting.
      2. Alternatively use the Config.plist attached, remember to select 18.1 in the SMBIOS section.]
  9. Reboot after saving Config.plist, run Multibeast to only install the following kexts:
    1. AppleALC
    2. FakeSMC
    3. FakeSMCPlugins
    4. IntelMausiEthernet
    5. Code Graphics Fixup AKA WhateverGreen (using Multibeast also installs Lilu)
    6. (USBInjectAll was installed earlier, don't do it again)
  10. Check my attached Config.plist compared to yours in case I missed something.
  11. As soon as possible, upgrade to latest 10.14. Just download and apply it. Everything is more stable and functional after the 10.14.1 update (which coincided with the release of the 8th-Gen i3/5/7 Mac Minis).
  12. Check the status of TRIM Support on your SSD:
    1. About This Mac->System Report->SATA/SATA Express->Serial-ATA Device Tree->your disk
    2. use 'sudo trimforce enable' if necessary
Geekbench:

What works:
  1. Full HD630 integrated graphics, 1536 MB. Metal supported macOS GPUFamily2-v1.
  2. USB2 and USB3 in the USB3.1 ports (front and back).
  3. Sleep/wake works.
  4. Sound works via HDMI and rear speaker jack.
  5. DP and 2 x HDMI monitors.
  6. With 10.14.1, the rear USB-C socket now works.
WiFi and BT:
  1. Original BT Dongle with audio over Bluetooth stuttered badly and sometimes the BT Trackpad 2 was sluggish. Installed a BCM94360CS2 card in an M.2 adapter into the m/b slot and replacing the incompatible supplied Intel card. BT and WiFi are fine. Both work OOB no kexts needed. I used the half-sized bracket from the AC1900 WiFi card I'd initially installed to hold the two antenna bases for the MHF4/IPX cables. All work fine. I get BT dropouts when on BT audio, but this happens with the phone on the same headphones only in the same room, so it's probably a concentration of the 2.4Ghz radio there.

For archive purposes, I attach the files that were linked to on GitHub, but they may be out of date now. Happy Hackintoshing!

They are:
1. EFI.zip
2. Extensions.zip
3. readme.txt

Attachments

• SSDT-UIAC-ALL.dsl
    4.9 KB · Views: 510
  • config.plist
    10 KB · Views: 548
  • property-entries.txt
    2.6 KB · Views: 363
  • EFI.zip
    21.4 MB · Views: 484
  • Extensions.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 264
  • readme.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 350
Last edited:
I am using HD630 on i5-7500 but I can't use DVI and HDMI as the same time. :(

My MB has 1xDP and 2xHDMI. I just tried DP and it doesn't work (on its own). Then tried the original HDMI plus an old monitor on the other HDMI and neither came up. I'm back on my original HDMI.

I'll experiment further but at present the answer seems to be "no" :(

Last edited:
I'm using Asus motherboard with 1 HDMI only

Did you update to 10.14.1? Only 1 HDMI worked before the update. Now both do and the system is more stable. I reckon try updating if you haven't already.

[added: just checked DP and that doesn't work. Probably WhateverGreen. Anyway HDMI is fine.]

Last edited:
Show us the picture of your build :)

You don’t need NullCpuPowerManagement.kext with this motherboard and cpu combo. You can make it work from clover. And WhateverGreen requires Lilu to work. Try to install it to be safe.

You can use my EFI if you open my config plist and:

1. Change SMBIOS from iMac 18.3 to 18.1;
  2. Set config.plist → Graphics → ig-platform-id = 0x59120000;
  3. Implement your USB setup again.

You can use my EFI if you open my config plist and:

I very nearly did ... but I wanted to build my own. So I went through what you had for sure. Much appreciated.

And WhateverGreen requires Lilu to work.

I have Lilu installed ... I believe Multibeast installed it when I selected WhateverGreen. I vaguely remember that being the case. Will amend my notes.

I'll remove the NullCpuPowerManagement. Thanks. Didn't know about that.

Show us the picture of your build :)

Of course! :) Here's a pic of the case. Have a few more of the inside showing the cooling pipes.

fanlessStreacomFC8.jpg

I very nearly did ... but I wanted to build my own. So I went through what you had for sure. Much appreciated.

I have Lilu installed ... I believe Multibeast installed it when I selected WhateverGreen. I vaguely remember that being the case. Will amend my notes.

I'll remove the NullCpuPowerManagement. Thanks. Didn't know about that.

Of course! :) Here's a pic of the case. Have a few more of the inside showing the cooling pipes.

View attachment 362357

Is this fanless Streacom? Nice. I'm thinking to move to Streacom da2.

To enable Power Managment without NullCpuPowerManagement, do this:

Снимок экрана 2018-11-02 в 10.34.23 ДП.png

Last edited:
Is this fanless Streacom? Nice. I'm thinking to move to Streacom da2.

Oh, yes. The DA2 is handsome. But my FC8 is fanless = silence :)

Okay, yours looks great and it supports expansion card, i.e. decent graphics card for a Windows gaming m/c. But you need cooling fans.

I was very interested to see the new graphics card cooler for the passively cooled DB4 ... but here's the kicker, it is limited to 60-75 TDP. And that knocks out my GTX1060 which is apparently 120 watts TDP. So I guess I have to stick to my other PC for my graphics gaming. Seems not possible to combine in a fanless Hackintosh (although I did think about an external GPU solution like they'e touting for the new mac Mini ... but our motherboard does not support proper USB 3.1 Gen 2, so that option is not available :(

Anyway here's a pic of the cooling pipes. Beautiful!

heat-pipes.jpg

Here's the view of the outside showing the WiFi card (I removed the supplied M2 card altogether). When I took this pic, the SATA power cabling was stuffed underneath the tray ... and resting on the cpu cooling block. Not good. I moved it!

streacom-wifi-card.jpg

Last edited:
I have a similar box, but using Kaby Lake i7 / HD 630 (no dedicated graphics). For me, that meant I had to switch to the iMac17,1 SMBIOS (took me a while to figure out!) Now 10.4.1 is working as well as 10.13.6.

(Was using iMac 18,1 without issues on HS, but that broke KBL graphics accel on Mojave, also tried Macmini8,1 -- no luck.)

My clover config:
Code:
ACPI =
  SSDT =  Generate =  PluginType = :true
  DSDT =
    Fixes = FixShutdown = :true
    Patches =
      Comment = "Rename HDAS to HDEF"   Find = <48444153> Replace = <48444546>   
      Comment = "change GFX0 to IGPU"      Find = <47465830> Replace = <49475055>
      Comment = "change HECI to IMEI"       Find = <48454349> Replace = <494D4549>
      Comment = "Rename _DSM to XDSM"  Find = <5F44534D> Replace = <5844534D>               
      Comment = "Rename PPMC to PMCR"   Find = <50504D43> Replace = <504D4352>
      Comment = "Rename H_EC to EC"       Find = <485F4543> Replace = <45435F5F>

Boot =  Arguments = "dart=0 darkwake=8 -disablegfxfirmware"   

Devices =  Properties =
  "PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1f,0x3)" = layout-id = <01000000>
  "PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)"  = "AAPL,ig-platform-id" = <00001259>

KernelAndKextPatches =
  AppleIntelCPUPM = :true
  AppleRTC = :true
  KernelPm = :true

SMBIOS = Family = "iMac17,1"

All kexts (latest versions) in /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other:
AppleALC.kext
FakeSMC.kext