Motherboard
Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro
CPU
Intel Core i7 8550u
Graphics
Intel UHD 620, MX 150 (Disabled)
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hi everyone! I would like to put my contribution forth by sharing with you what I have achieved so far in terms of installing MacOS High Sierra (10.13.6) on my Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro. I am using the i7/16gb model with the Nvidia MX150, but I think this guide could also works for other 8th Gen configurations of this laptop. The guide has not been tested yet on the newly released GTX Edition of this laptop.

General notes:
  • This guide relies heavily the work of redacted and stevezhengshiqi (@Steeeeeeve). If you feel like being generous, buy them a beer.
  • Thanks daniscabaldi for his initial contributions and testing.
  • Thanks @owenlars for pioneering the replacement of the WiFi chip.
  • This guide assumes you have a (very basic) general understanding of Hackintosh

Working good with minor bugs:
  • Intel UHD 620 graphics (not the MX150, which is disabled via SSDT and will never work). Some minor glitches on boot
  • Keyboard
  • Trackpad
  • Backlight. Working in system preferences, but cannot be adjusted with default keys. It should be possible to map this using some external keyboard-shortcut-binding software.
  • Webcam
  • Sleep/Wake. (Does not work if you install Mac OS X on an external drive)
  • Audio from internal speakers.
  • Battery status. Sometimes it gets a while for the battery level to appear on the status bar.
  • Usb-c ports have been confirmed to work for display output. Thanks @olegt.
Works with bugs
  • Audio from 3.5mm jack. By default, when the headphones are plugged in the audio volume quickly gets high, after that it gets very low and keeps playing, but the audio is always bad and messy. A possible solution to this has been detailed in @kevin_1351 in the following post.
  • HDMI-out. The mirroring option and resolution controls works. To get the primary screen working, you should close the lid, wait for the PC to go to sleep and then open it again. Once you remove the secondary screen, it's best if you reboot the laptop. 2k/4k video output should work (thanks @Gianlucamelis for testing).
Not working
  • Wireless Intel AC 8265, Bluetooth 4.1 (soldered Intel chip, will never work).
    • Easy Solution: use USB wifi dongle (the model I am personally using is the Edimax EW-7822ULC, using its MacOS drivers downloaded from the manufacturer's website).
    • Hard Solution: See Section 4.
  • Fingerprint sensor (also probably will never work, not something I am interested in looking into).
  • NVIDIA MX 150. Disabled via SSDT, will never work.
  • SD Card Reader

INSTALLATION GUIDE
1. BIOS configuration

As a first step, we need to disable Secure Boot in the BIOS settings. To do so, access the BIOS (F2) and set up an admin password. Please remember this, as I am unsure whether there's any way of recovering this if it is lost. Disable secure boot and reboot. Press F12 at boot to select the USB device to boot from.

2. Install MacOS
Download the latest CLOVER folder from stevezhengshiqi.

This guide uses native support for the CPU, thanks to stevezhengshiqi. Therefore, you will have to download MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G2112). Once you have this version of MacOS, create a bootable USB installer of MacOS High Sierra, install CLOVER, and substitute the contents of the CLOVER folder now created inside the EFI partition with those contained in the branch you downloaded.

I recommend installing MacOS on a HSF+J partition. By default, a clean install of HS will format any partition it is installed on in APFS. You can follow RehabMan's guide to avoid this.

Some people experience the trackpad not to be working during the installation guide. This is normal and related to a modification to the VooodooI2C kext. The easiest fix is to use a wired mouse during installation. Otherwise, you can substitute the kext in @Steeeeeeve EFI folder with the original one compiled from source.

3. After First Boot
Once you have access to the MacOS desktop, install CLOVER on the main boot source (either the internal SSD or an external USB drive). Now substitute again the contents of the CLOVER folder within your new EFI partition with the ones from the CLOVER folder you downloaded.

If the trackpad was not working during the installation process, open Terminal and run the command
Code:
sudo kextcache -i /
Reboot the system and everything should be working fine.

3.1 [OPTIONAL] Improve screen experience
We have two mods that will make your Mac experience even better. These are completely optional and can be skipped if you are happy with your results so far. I am personally a big fan.

First, HiDPI. This allows you to scale the MacOS UI a little bit down to improve usability, as Retina MacBooks do. Although the pixel-density is not quite the same, I really enjoy the 1680x945 aspect ratio. The instructions are here. The only detail I would add is that once you run the terminal command:

Code:
sh -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/xzhih/one-key-hidpi/master/hidpi.sh)"

you might be prompted with some instructions. I entered the following options:
  • Enable HIDPI
  • MacbookPro Icon
  • 1920x1080 screen

Second, color calibrating the display. You can follow the instructions here. I believe qeeqez is to thank for the color profile, which I also happily use on Windows.

4. [OPTIONAL] Substitute WiFi chip
To get even more out of your machine, you can follow @owenlars guide (Post #281) on how to replace the internal chip. This should be attempted only by expert users, and neither me nor him assume any responsibility for possible damages. Owenlars guide will not fix bluetooth. If you want to go even further, and also integrate a working internal bluetooth module for your machine, see @Neolo777 Post #605.

As of v0.6+ of this guide, the main changes and patches applied through CLOVER are the ones brought forward by redacted and stevezhengshiqi, who are to thank for the results achieved. I do not wish to take any credit for their work, and I strongly encourage you to support them as detailed on the respective GitHub pages. On the same page, you will also find their changelogs.

***​
As a final note, I would like to point out once more that the guide has been heavily based on the contributions of redacted, @deniscabaldi, @owenlars and stevezhengshiqi. Please take this guide with a grain of salt, as I assume no responsibility for your machines. I hope that this thread will develop into a proper discussion to build on my initial guide (which I am more than willing to amend according to the best practices and suggestions of people in the comments).

I am attaching a copy of my ACPI/origin folder as generated by CLOVER, if anyone who does not have the machine would like to contribute to this project.

This is a great value/price machine and a fully working High Sierra configuration makes it even more appealing to many. I am looking forward to your comments!

Attachments

• MiPro_origin.zip
    166.3 KB · Views: 2,284
  • Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro BROADCOM WiFi Installation Guide v0.3.pdf
    5.3 MB · Views: 7,535
Last edited by a moderator:
CHANGELOG

v0.9 (27/08/18):
added details to improve screen experience.
v0.8 (12/08/18): added details for people with mouse not working on install.
v0.7 (05/08/18): updated main post to 10.13.6; native support for CPU. Thanks @Steeeeeeve.
v0.6: updated main post to 10.13.4; added guide for replacing wifi chip.
v0.5 (23/02/18): updated to 10.13.3; mostly based on the work of redacted.
v0.4 (17/01/18): updated VoodooI2C to v2.0. Trackpad now works perfectly.
v0.3: spoofing Kaby Lake. Thanks @deniscabaldi.
v0.2: updated kext, included apfs.efi in POST INSTALL. Thanks @deniscabaldi.
v0.1: initial release

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW! Just what i needed. Testing soon.

• Lilu
  • IntelGraphicsFixup
  • FakePCIID
  • FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics
  • ApplePS2SmartTouchPad
  • AppleALC
  • ACPIBatteryManager

Some of your kexts are outdated.
Your folder original clover folder is on the left of the attached image.
And i have to copy the apfs.efi to clover folder as well, its missing.

I already tested your installation and it works very well.

I was wondering what is necessary to spoof kabylake. Tomorrow i will try.

Thanks man.

Attachments

• outdated-kexts.png
    outdated-kexts.png
    66.7 KB · Views: 2,479
Some of your kexts are outdated.
Your folder original clover folder is on the left of the attached image.
And i have to copy the apfs.efi to clover folder as well, its missing.

I already tested your installation and it works very well.

I was wondering what is necessary to spoof kabylake. Tomorrow i will try.

Thanks man.

I will update the kexts in a couple of hours (and include apfs.efi, sorry about that I am still using HFS+ for preference), thanks for spotting that.

Have you installed Mac OS X on the internal drive? If yes, does sleep/wake work to you?

[EDIT]: Kext updated, apfs.efi included

Last edited:
It's working. Nothing abnormal.

Have you installed High SIerra in the internal HDD or in an external one? Does the trackpad work properly once the computer wakes up from sleep?

Have you installed High SIerra in the internal HDD or in an external one?
I installed it on the internal SSD. Sleep / Wake running as it should.

Does the trackpad work properly once the computer wakes up from sleep?
The trackpad doesn't work properly and became non-responsive after some changes on clover and i don't know why.
On the link you mentioned of VoodooI2C says:
Current Bugs:
5 Finger Kernel Panic on a few trackpads
No Multi-Touch Support [WIP]
Support in Sierra Requires Rolling back to El Capitan System Preferences for Trackpad (If not it will turn white)
Trackpad not waking After Sleep (E1000)
I think this behavior its a bug of the kext version.

I think this behavior its a bug of the kext version.

I don't know.. Some people have reported it to be working fine after sleep on ******. Anyway, are you using any WiFi dongle?

Your Clover might be too old.
Use the latest RehabMan build as per guide.
And check that you managed to download the full installer (should be 5+ GB).

I try that exactly same install few days ago.
Using macOS High Sierra Patcher to download the latest version i get no partition on Clover (Latest version following your guide), even if the recommended .efis are present in the folder... maybe its a bug. I downloaded 3 or 4 times from that app and tested with 3 usb flash drives...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back