Contribute
Register

[Guide] Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro High Sierra 10.13.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I just want to share my own approach of getting Bluetooth and WiFi in this laptop. Thanks to everyone, who contributed to this too.

Let's summarize what we need (assuming you, as a reader, as I am, have no access to TaoBao online store, so we'll use what's available from ebay).

!!!BEWARE, HIGH RISK OF DESTROYING THE LAPTOP! IF YOU ARE NOT SURE, DON'T PROCEED!!!.

1) This M.2 converter from shentek.
Ask seller to relist, if it's sold out. If they actually out of it, you are out of luck getting this one, sorry. Search for alternatives. As of today, I haven't fount any.
s-l500.jpg

2) Any card based on BCM94352ZAE (BEWARE OF MISSING "AE" at the end, should have TWO holes, some sellers don't name it as AE, in this case look the pics. Also NOT 356Z MODEL!)
dell-xps-13-9343-disassembly-16.jpg

3) Antennas for M.2 modules (beware of mPCIE ones).
I bought this one, made in Japan, 5 dbi, monster. Perfectly fits under the battery.
81+Uf8LJfXL._SL1500_.jpg

4) Any nano-USB BT dongle with supported chip. Literally any will work, as long as it's low powered.
51unVtvuzjL._SL1000_.jpg

5) Decent soldering station (minimum 360 F), tin and flux. Or you'll screw up. Thick iron will lead in messed up board, and low temp will cause you to push the iron harder and eventually scratch and break some neighbor components.

IMG_5112.jpg
IMG_5113.JPG
IMG_5109.JPG

Let's get started.

DISCONNECT THE BATTERY FIRST!

1. Cut the adaptor right as shown on the pic below and screw it in by the edge with stock screw in the second M.2 socket. No need to use any nasty tape, just a screw and that's it. Don't expect it to go right in the hole, just aside of it.

IMG_5110.JPG

Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 8.49.27 PM.png

get the WiFi card in and run antennas under the battery, you'll see there is two compartments.

Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 8.51.34 PM.png

IMG_5165.JPG

WiFi is done, now Bluetooth.

2. Bluetooth CANNOT BE ENABLED OVER THIS ADAPTER, no matter what you say, I tried to solder USB pins and stuff all day long, it's not working.
As a workaround, I used a nano-USB chip and soldered it to that unprovisioned, causing a madness, LTE pinout.

Disassemble the dongle (it's super easy with flat screwdriver).

43556058-ce271608-95cb-11e8-986c-bbb4fd9bab44.jpg 43556156-44ca6c06-95cc-11e8-92f3-6a16a18416de.jpg

Find those LTE pins and solder the wires as shown

43556582-785b67b2-95ce-11e8-850c-81d930763d53.jpg

I didn't tape the chip, but soldered it to a screw hole. But I assume it causes a major signal loss (instead of expected amplification), however, I'm still testing if this is true. You can attach the chip using some glue or tape (since ship doesn't produce any heat, it will be fine using tape).

43556278-ff7db756-95cc-11e8-8688-c5b377cb19fb.jpg

I recommend to test it in Windows first. You should get a blue LED on it. If you don't see it, you did something wrong, try to swap data lines (D-/+) or power lines. you won't burn anything, it's just 3.3 volts.

Result:

43608444-15d304e6-966f-11e8-9dd5-b98cda775df3.png

You will need to map this USB port in SSDT! Mine is HS02. Set type to 255 (internal), it will enable all that handoff stuff, airdrop etc, tested, works.

Discovered disadvantages:

- short range, as we able to supply 3.3 volts only, also design of such dongle doesn't let us use it far away, not even saying that we'll cover it with a lid. I'd call it a near field BT =). High quality music streaming (bluetooth A2DP) is going to struggle a bit.
- higher than usually interference with wifi 2.4 Ghz, probably because of lack of proper shielding or my wifi antennas are too strong. You may try to solder an antenna for BT separately.

Feel free to suggest any improvements of this solution.

Have fun!

Last edited:
UPDATE 1

Low signal of the BT can be fixed by soldering to it an external antenna (one wire to one side of the chip and another wire to another side of the chip, RX/TX).
As a result, BT improved x5 times, interference with wifi lowered in x2 times.

IMG_5166.JPG

I have also rearranged Wifi antennas. Seems you can't keep them too close to each other.
Shielded a bit BT antenna with foil.

IMG_5168.JPG

Today Xiaomi released new Xiaomi Notebook Pro with GTX 1050. I would really like the faster graphics but my MX150 still works fine for me so I won't get the new one, but just curious macOS can be installed the same way on the new one (since the only difference is the graphics card which is disabled anyways), right?

Today Xiaomi released new Xiaomi Notebook Pro with GTX 1050. I would really like the faster graphics but my MX150 still works fine for me so I won't get the new one, but just curious macOS can be installed the same way on the new one (since the only difference is the graphics card which is disabled anyways), right?

Hi MarkCanada, the original guide has been updated to reflect some of the recent developments on this thread. I also added a mention to the new version of this laptop. As of right now, there is little information on the GTX edition of the Xiaomi Notebook Pro, and I don't think anyone has been able to get his hands on one yet. I will update the guide accordingly as soon as there is any news on the topic.

Hi MarkCanada, the original guide has been updated to reflect some of the recent developments on this thread. I also added a mention to the new version of this laptop. As of right now, there is little information on the GTX edition of the Xiaomi Notebook Pro, and I don't think anyone has been able to get his hands on one yet. I will update the guide accordingly as soon as there is any news on the topic.

Geez, am I the only one slightly upset that Xiaomi came out with this new GTX thing just about one month after the 8th generation Intel refresh?

Not only the GPU is different but also the CPU and some other thing (keyboard, HDD, cooling system...)
There is now an Intel Core i7-8750H, 6 cores 12 thread.

Here is the new revisions :
  • Intel Core i7-8750H, 16GB of DDR4 2666 MHz RAM, GTX 1060 6GB, 256GB SSD PCI-e, 1TB hard drive for 8,999 Yuan (approximately $1,300).
  • Intel Core i7-8750H, 8GB DDR4 2666 MHz RAM, GTX 1050 Ti 4GB, 256GB SSD PCI-e, 1TB hard drive for 7,999 Yuan (approximately $1,160).
  • Intel Core i5-8300H, 8GB DDR4 2666 MHz RAM, GTX 1060 6GB, 256GB PCI-e SSD, 1TB hard drive for 7,499 Yuan (approximately $1,100).
  • Intel Core i5-8300H, 8GB of DDR4 2666 MHz RAM, GTX 1050 Ti 4GB, 256GB SSD PCI-e, 1TB hard drive for 6,699 Yuan (approximately $975).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back