Contribute
Register

Guide: X79 OS X Controlled SpeedStep (CPU Power Management)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guide: Asus X79 OS X Controlled SpeedStep

I find quite hard to update the bios, get the power management and sleep working.

Could be awesome do a video step by step...

thanks a lot for your help.

Is there any reason that this custom SSDT would interfere with video? It seems to have broken the DisplayPort output on my GTX 770 while inside OS X.

I had it working beforehand, and now will only get video out of HDMI/DVI.

Super strange but I can't figure out why this is happening.

DisplayPort shows video throughout the boot process including the Apple Logo, up until the login screen, where the display suddenly enters power saving mode. If I switch to HDMI/DVI, it works fine.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for the guide. Otherwise this works great for me on my 3970X.

Marco

That's interesting. Would going back to MacPro 5,1 break the SpeedStep? Also, what's the thought behind GraphicsEnabler and when it is or isn't to be enabled? I never quite understood it.

Marco

That's interesting. Would going back to MacPro 5,1 break the SpeedStep? Also, what's the thought behind GraphicsEnabler and when it is or isn't to be enabled? I never quite understood it.

Marco
5,1 would break XCPM speed step. I think GraphicsEnabler injects acpi code at boot to allow the OS to see more info about your graphics card and better utilize it. Try it for now. If it works you can use a DSDT edit, EFI-String or a SSDT injection to achieve the same result.

Tried GraphicsEnabler=Yes. Didn't work. No video at login on any of the outputs. Thanks for the suggestion anyhow. :)

Marco

Tried GraphicsEnabler=Yes. Didn't work. No video at login on any of the outputs. Thanks for the suggestion anyhow. :)

Marco
Try a correct EFI-string for your card

Im looking into a 4930k and an Asus P9X79 in my build but all this manipulation of the kernel is WAY over my head, should I give up on sandy/ivy-brige-e processors for my build? I want the power for my pro media build but its not seeming worth it at this point :crazy:

Im looking into a 4930k and an Asus P9X79 in my build but all this manipulation of the kernel is WAY over my head, should I give up on sandy/ivy-brige-e processors for my build? I want the power for my pro media build but its not seeming worth it at this point :crazy:
Had a 4930k working great but had to RMA the motherboard. If you're going to over clock, I'd recommend a Rapage 4 extreme.

If you don't want to hack, buy a mac.

Just finished setting up my system Asus P9X79(bios 4608)/3960X(oc 4,2) and powermanegement is working :D
But my CPU´s still unknown even with
<key>SMcputype</key>
<string>1281</string>
In the MacPro 6.1 smbios.plist ?

(the 4608 bios is factory unlocked)

Thanks shilohh for your guide
:clap:

Just finished setting up my system Asus P9X79(bios 4608)/3960X(oc 4,2) and powermanegement is working :D
But my CPU´s still unknown even with
<key>SMcputype</key>
<string>1281</string>
In the MacPro 6.1 smbios.plist ?

(the 4608 bios is factory unlocked)

Thanks shilohh for your guide
:clap:

use this in the smbios instead
<key>SMoemcputype</key>
<string>2561</string>

Status
Not open for further replies.