Contribute
Register

Guide: X79 OS X Controlled SpeedStep (CPU Power Management)

Status
Not open for further replies.
But doing so, it assumes my cpu is Ivy bridge, but in reality it is a Sandy. Should I do so?

Later edit: Did it, with same results. I believe now that the extra 100 MHz showed by power gadget is from this cpu definition. Still not throttling well

But doing so, it assumes my cpu is Ivy bridge, but in reality it is a Sandy. Should I do so?
It is Sandy Bridge EP which which is not Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge. It has more in common with Ivy Bridge E than it does with Sandy Bridge.
Later edit: Did it, with same results. I believe now that the extra 100 MHz showed by power gadget is from this cpu definition. Still not throttling well
I wouldn't even bother looking at intel power gadget. It doesn't give accurate results about what P-States are reached. Your AICPUPMI output indicates that you reached 2 states. "MSR_PMG_CST_CONFIG_CONTROL.(0xE2) : 0x1E008403" indicates that your motherboard is MSR locked. I've never played with a locked board to say for sure but you'll probably need to do a Wmsr patch on the AICPUPM kext. I don't think the clover KernelAndKextPatches/AsusAICPM function works the same as this:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/132-aicpmpatch/

It is Sandy Bridge EP which which is not Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge. It has more in common with Ivy Bridge E than it does with Sandy Bridge.

Excellent, didn't knew that. Couldn't find too much info about these cpu's.

I don't think the clover KernelAndKextPatches/AsusAICPM function works

It took me a while to figure out that selecting this patch cancels all other kext patching, so i used the patcher.

Maybe it helps someone:
I've noticed something strange here, after messing around with different smbios and patches. At one point the system became unbootable, so i plugged the usb installer (yosemite+clover), reboot, and when the power gadget opened, I noticed power management now working flawless...:think: with the config from the installer: without SSDT, without dropping any table, SMBIOS: MacPro 3,1, Asus AICPUPM and KernelPM enabled (altho I patched the kext before)...

Previously I patched the kext with 10.10 aicpm patch.command, and AICPMPatch, then I installed both X79_CPUPM_kexts from your first post.

I did just 4 things from this guide:
generated SSDT for my i7-3820
patched AppleIntelCPUP..M..kext
added
SystemType
to org.cham..boot.

and deleted NULLCPU..kext

Now HWMonitor finally shows
x12 when idle
x35 when not
that saves a lot of watts of power.
Motherboard:
ASUS P9x79 LE bios 4801
Yosemite 10.10.3
View attachment ssdt.aml
View attachment AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.zip

changing SMcputype resulted in hang for me.

GA-X79S-UP5 mobo
BIOS F4u (the latest BIOS for my board, optimized defaults)
i7-3930K
GTX 680
OS X 10.11.4

All relevant drivers are updated.

This hardware set-up ran Mountain Lion and Mavericks without a hitch. Sleep worked poorly (monitors wouldn't reinitialize), however, power management and speed stepping worked as expected (many c and p states, throttling as needed).

Current El Capitan install works fine, except speed stepping does not work. CPU is stuck on whatever max frequency is set at boot.

I'm unable to unlock the board using the techniques described in this thread and in this thread. Perhaps power management is a lost cause?

I'm also unable to create an ssdt using piker alpha's script with the -c and -w flags. I get this error:

• Error: Invalid argument detected: -c (check ssdtPRGen.sh -h)
If I run it without those flags, I also get these errors:

• Error: board-id [Mac-F42C88C8] not supported by Sandy Bridge – check SMBIOS data / use the -c option
    • I'm unable to run the script with the -c option
    • Continue? y
  • Warning: 'system-type' may be set improperly (1 instead of 2)
At this point the script compiles and creates the ssdt.aml file. I rename it SSDT.aml, drop it into the Patched folder, reboot, and nothing changes.

If I try to change the system type from 3,1 to 6,1, monitors won't reinitialize at boot. Not the best scenario.

ioREG is attached.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• IOReg_baseline2.zip
    781.3 KB · Views: 104
Thanks very much for the reply and the help, shilohh.

Update: speed step appears to be sort of working now. System throttles between 1.6GHz and 3.8GHz depending on load. But I can't seem to get it to turbo past 3.8. I tried increasing the max turbo frequency in BIOS, then re-generating a new SSDT, but it didn't work. Turbo disappears if I disable auto turbo in BIOS and try to force it to exceed the factory specs.

Regardless, unsure when speed step began working. I assume after the last AICPUPM patches via Clover (using this guide from insanelymac.com as reference) and the SSDT generation? I'd like to try to re-generate an SSDT and avoid those errors the ssdtPRGen script through (mentioned above). Is this a SMBIOS issue? Do I need to pick a different Mac system type? 12,2 perhaps?

Regardless, I pressed F5 at the Clover GUI. Nothing appeared to happen, but the clover folder from the EFI partition and the latest IOReg is attached.

Attachments

• for shilohh.zip
    4.7 MB · Views: 158
hello good people...
will it work on Asrock X79 Extreme3 with Xeon E5 Sandy Bridge 2,30 GHz ES (4 Core 4 Thread) and EVGA GTX 680 ? I Planning to buy it next month
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X79 Extreme3/

thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back