Contribute
Register

[GUIDE/Workaround] Using Intel HD530 with Dual Monitors

I have dual monitors working on my setup, but I have run into a phenomena that I would like to share.

I can boot with the main monitor and hot plug the second monitor to get dual monitors.

I can also boot with both monitors plugged in, but the second monitor goes black during the boot process and no longer works - even if I thereafter unplug it and replug it. The main monitor continues to work - as well as everything else, so far as I can tell.

What is interesting to me is that when I boot with both monitors, I can VNC to my machine and see both monitors on the VNC connection even though only the main monitor works in the physical setup.

This makes me think I am somewhat closer to being able to boot with dual monitors. I don’t really know what I could do that would allow for that.

With the much appreciated help from Feartech, I finally was able to successfully get my HD530 configured patching the Framebuffer.
Now I am trying to connect 2 monitors. My computer has 1 HDMI 2.0 port and 2 Display Ports.
Port 2 (HDMI) and Port 1 (DP) work, but one at a time. I tried hot plugging, but with no success. I've been reading around the forum people messing with the bus id, port types, port count and pipes on FB Patcher, but all the systems are different from mine. I also don't understand the logic of it. I am a real noob.
I have a zotac barebone with H170 and i5 6400T running Mojave 10.14.1.
Could anybody point me in the right direction to get 2 monitors working? Is it even possible? Any updates on the sleep issue with the HD 530?
Screenshot 2018-12-03 at 18.39.21.png Screenshot 2018-12-03 at 19.38.59.png

have dual monitor on Mojave 10.14.2, no hot plug needed. works well. HD 530 i5 6500, HP EliteDesk 800 G2

Could you please explain in detail what you did to get dual screen without hot plug?
Your config.plist has an incoherent mix of solutions.
Thank you

Hello Everyone

I tried to get my dual screen to work with no success for now. I first tested my 2 monitors one at a time (1 on HDMI and 1 via a Thunderbolt3 to HDMI adapter) and they both work. What I did then is follow the tutorial from step 1 to step 3.

Now the Thunderbolt3 to HDMI output doesn't output anything at all. I mean I have a black screen instead of my usual desktop.

Should I keep on going or do I have to do something first ?

Thanks.

Thanks for your uploaded EFI! Great work! I have the same hardware 'HP EliteDesk 800 G2 TWR' with a single internal IGPU HD 530 with the two Display Ports, and two monitors, running 10.13.6 (and want to upgrade to 10.14.2). I am having the black screen problem. I am trying to figure out what is the configuration I need from your EFI folder in order to make it work. Can you please comment and help me? I am preparing a very detailed guide on my procedure which I hope I will post on the next week or two of the installation and customization process. I noticed that:

1. You have a number of `KernelAndKextPatches`. Can you please explain more the details on them?

- `KernelPm`, `AppleRTC`, `AppleIntelCPUPM`. It seems that I only need `KernelPm`. Are the others Graphics related?
- `prevent AGDP from loading`: Can you please procide some more information on this please?
- `AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB`: Can you please procide some more information on this please?
- `AppleIntelSKLGraphicsFramebuffer`: Can you please procide some more information on this please?
- `10.11.4+-SKL-port_0x7-DP2HDMI`: Can you please explain a bit more on this?

Code:
<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
<dict>
    <key>AppleIntelCPUPM</key>
    <true/>
    <key>AppleRTC</key>
    <true/>
    <key>KernelPm</key>
    <true/>
    <key>KextsToPatch</key>
    <array>
        <dict>
            <key>Comment</key>
            <string> 10.11.4+-SKL-port_0x7-DP2HDMI</string>
            <key>Name</key> <string>AppleIntelSKLGraphicsFramebuffer</string>
            <key>Find</key> <data> AgQKAAAEAACHAQAA </data>
            <key>Replace</key> <data> AwYKAAAEAACHAQAA </data>
        </dict>
        <dict>
            <key>Comment</key>
            <string>prevent AGDP from loading</string>
            <key>Name</key> <string>com.apple.driver.AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy</string>
            <key>Find</key> <data> ugUAAAA= </data>
            <key>Replace</key> <data> ugAAAAA= </data>
        </dict>
        <dict>
            <key>Name</key> <string>AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB</string>
            <key>Find</key>
            <data>
            AQIEABAHAAAQBwAABQMAAAIAAAAwAAAAAgUAAAAEAAAH
            AAAAAwQAAAAEAAAJAAAABAYAAAAEAAAJAAAA
            </data>
            <key>Replace</key>
            <data>
            AQIDABAHAAAQBwAABQMAAAIAAAAwAAAABgIAAAIAAAAw
            AAAAAgUAAAAIAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
            </data>
        </dict>
        <dict>
            <key>Name</key>
            <string>AppleIntelSKLGraphicsFramebuffer</string>
            <key>Find</key> <data> AgQKAAAEAACHAQAA </data>
            <key>Replace</key> <data> AAAIAAIAAAAwAgAA </data>
        </dict>
    </array>
</dict>

2. You are having an `SSDT.aml`. Is this something related to the graphics? I dissasemble it and I did not see something graphics related.

3. You have a number of properties in `PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)` which **are not** used by `Llilu/WhateverGreen`. May I ask why you are using here `vendor-id`, `subsystem-vendor-id` and what is the `class-code`. I assume it is just cosmetic changes, right?

Code:
    <key>Devices</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Properties</key>
        <dict>
            <key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key>
            <dict>
                <key>AAPL,GfxYTile</key><data>AQAAAA==</data> // 01 00 00 00
                <key>AAPL,ig-platform-id</key><data>AAASGQ==</data> // 00 00 12 19
                <key>class-code</key><data>AAADAA==</data> // 00 00 03 00
                <key>device-id</key> <data>EhkAAA==</data> // 12 19 00 00
                <key>model</key><data>SW50ZWwgSEQgR3JhcGhpY3MgNTMw</data> // Intel HD Graphics 530
                <key>subsystem-vendor-id</key><data>axAAAA==</data> // 6b 10 00 00
                <key>vendor-id</key><data>hoAAAA==</data> // 86 80 00 00
            </dict>
        </dict>
    </dict>

4. On the `Graphics` you made a lot of changes. Do you require them? `NVCAP` and `Display-cfg` are just for NVIDIA cards.

Code:
<key>Graphics</key>
<dict>
    <key>Inject</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Intel</key>
        <true/>
    </dict>
    <key>NVCAP</key>
    <string>04000000000003000c0000000000000700000000</string>
    <key>NvidiaGeneric</key>
    <key>display-cfg</key>
    <string>03010300ffff0001</string>
    <key>ig-platform-id</key>
    <string>0x19120000</string>
</dict>

5. On the `Boot` you have `-disablegfxfirmware` on. Do you need this?

Code:
<key>Boot</key>
<dict>
    <key>Arguments</key>
    <string>dart=0 -disablegfxfirmware -lilubetaall -alcbeta</string>
</dict>

6. You have enabled the following ACPI FIXES. Are these required?

Code:
<key>DSDT</key>
<dict>
    <key>DropOEM_DSM</key>
    <dict>
        <key>IntelGFX</key>
        <true/>
    </dict>
    <key>Fixes</key>
    <dict>
        <key>FixDisplay</key>
        <true/>
        <key>FixIntelGfx</key>
        <true/>
    </dict>
</dict>

Thanks for reading all this!!!!

sakoula

I'd personally disregard that user's plist as it appears to be a random mix of patches and unnecessary fixes which IMHO will not help anyone trying to configure their Intel Graphics with dual monitors... The fact it works for him is complete chance and almost impossible to unpick how it's working.

I'd personally disregard that user's plist as it appears to be a random mix of patches and unnecessary fixes which IMHO will not help anyone trying to configure their Intel Graphics with dual monitors... The fact it works for him is complete chance and almost impossible to unpick how it's working.

My thoughts exacly. I got my dual monitors to work with hotplug randomly. Works for now, but I am trying to get a permanent solution without hotplugging.

Does anyone know if we could use an HDMI switch to easily switch away from the signal on the computer and then switch back once booted? That way we can avoid hotplugging?

I have not tried but it should work. The hdmi switch cuts completely the signak

Does anyone know if we could use an HDMI switch to easily switch away from the signal on the computer and then switch back once booted? That way we can avoid hotplugging?
That's a great idea!

Back