Contribute
Register

[GUIDE/Workaround] Using Intel HD530 with Dual Monitors

Gents. I am trying to get my 2 display ports working on this HP z240 board. It has the i7-6700 board with 530 gfx. the board has only 3 DP ports. one display works the other does not and im not sure why its not working

anyone got an idea how this can be fixed..?

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    7.8 MB · Views: 92
Possible to get help on 6700k + HD530 dual monitors?

Using 14,2 SMBIOS.

Monitor 1: MiniDisplayPort to DisplayPort (Mobo)
Monitor 2: DVI to HDMI (Mobo)

If I disconnect Monitor 1 before booting, monitor 2 loads fine.
If I disconnect Monitor 2 before booting, monitor 1 loads fine.

I can't get them both to work at the same time. I tried booting DP only then Hot plug HDMI and vice versa but no go.

Config attached

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.9 KB · Views: 252
Anyone have a z170 board they can share their config file with dual monitor support? :(
Please...My second monitor isn't working and need it.

Thanks!!!

I've a build with hd530 that reboots randomly without any crash log, I just have a single monitor to DP but want to attach another connected to a HDMI2VGA adapter in the future.
Using 14,2 SMBIOS, OS Sierra 10.12.5
I've ridden that you recommend:
Your config.plist and patches should work with ig-platform-id 0x19120000, may need slightly change during multi display setup.
For 0x19120000 dual monitor setup (HDMI hotplug as secondary), temporary change 0204 connector type to 01000000 or 02000000.
Change connector to 01000000 or 02000000 will disable HDMI or DP audio, can prevent kernel panic caused by improper audio codecs (audio power surge), also limited display resolution to 1920 x 1080, prevent black screen (monitor out of range) during detect or update display EDID.
Do you think this config changes should fix my problem?

I've a build with hd530 that reboots randomly without any crash log, I just have a single monitor to DP but want to attach another connected to a HDMI2VGA adapter in the future.
Using 14,2 SMBIOS, OS Sierra 10.12.5
I've ridden that you recommend:

Do you think this config changes should fix my problem?

Not sure.

1, disable 4 port FB patch 01030303>01030403, patch too short, it broke many FB codes, may cause system unstable.
2, try use 0x193B0005 as ig-platform-id, normally desktop use port 5/6/7, VGA port should work except it is attached to port 0.

Not sure.

1, disable 4 port FB patch 01030303>01030403, patch too short, it broke many FB codes, may cause system unstable.
2, try use 0x193B0005 as ig-platform-id, normally desktop use port 5/6/7, VGA port should work except it is attached to port 0.
Thanks, i changed those things and now dual monitor works!
BUT still random reboots when working with adobe suite (PS, Illustrator,Indesign). Continues unstable to fast working. Where I've to change the 0204 connector type to 01000000 or 02000000? In IORegistryExplorer or Clover configurator? Sorry for my nooby question.
Please help!

Last edited:
BUT still random reboots when working with adobe suite (PS, Illustrator,Indesign). Continues unstable to fast working.

Issue may not related to FB connector setting, but you may try.

Where I've to change the 0204 connector type to 01000000 or 02000000?

This procedure only need for dual monitors setup, your dual monitors already work, need change back connector type to match your mobo layout.

Upload your ioreg file, I will create a FB patch for you.

Last edited:
Hi wildwillow,

With your guide, I can make my two monitors both working now. But the problem is, I cannot plug in both monitors when booting. I have to use the primary (HDMI) to login the desktop and then plug in another one (DisplayPort). Is there solution for me not manually plug in the second monitor every time I boot the hackintosh?
Thank you!

i7-6700 Skylake & Intel HD530 Graphics

Since the release of 10.11.4 Intel HD530 integrated graphics are working but not out of the box with a dual monitor set up. There are further steps required for most systems to achieve this feature, this is not to say that every system will work using these methods. I decided to add the steps separately for this feature since the thread where this all began has got incredibly large with the information being harder to find although it is worth reading. You can view this here :
Skylake Intel HD 530 Integrated Graphics Working as of 10.11.4

This thread is purely for dual monitors using HD530. If you don't have Intel HD530 working correctly post to the linked thread above or in the Graphics forum. Lets keep this thread as per the title thanks.

What happens when booting with HD530 with a dual monitor setup?
If you have more than monitor connected at boot and powered on OS X/macOS does not allow you to boot to the desktop. You just about get to the login screen before the AppleIntelSKLGraphicsFramebuffer(driver) crashes, then a hard reset is needed to recover the system.

Some motherboards/port layouts require fewer steps than others to achieve dual monitor support. You should be able to start testing once you moved past step 3 fixing Apple's Graphics Display Policy and simply restart to test dual monitors.

Testing Requirements:
  • ig-platform-id - 1912000
  • Only digital connections i.e DisplayPort(DP), HDMI or DVI.
  • Do not use VGA or VGA adapters/monitors. Digital adapters/cables ok i.e DP to HDMI/HDMI to DVI
  • One monitor connected at boot to allow OS X/macOS to reach the desktop.
  • Boot each monitor individually knowing that each connected port can get to the desktop.
  • 2nd monitor connected(hot plugged) once at the desktop only.
One monitor will act as your primary monitor and what ever steps you take the 2nd monitor will not display a picture when hotplugged so you may need to boot with you other monitor as primary. If this is not the primary monitor you want, you can change your main display in System preferences > Displays > Arrangements and drag the top blue bar over to make it primary.
Some port layouts can live without the 4th Display patch, since this is a harmless patch it will be part of the method for all motherboards. The reason for this patch - certain motherboard/port layouts 1st port or only digital port is attached to an unused connector in the AppleIntelSKLGraphicsFramebuffer.kext which is port0x0.

Skip any steps that you've already implemented(no duplicates so check your config.plist items first).

Step 1
Add the 4th display to your config.plist: Credit - toleda.
Add an item :
Comment : 10.11.4+SKL-1912000-4_displays
Find : <01030303>
Name : AppleIntelSKLGraphicsFramebuffer
Replace : <01030403>
Now you should have your first port attached to a working connector.
Native 1912000 Framebuffer connectors:
Code:
port0x0 FF0000000100000020000000 unused
port0x5 010509000004000087010000 DP
port0x6 02040A000004000087010000 DP
port0x7 03060A000004000087010000 DP

Step 2
If you've installed HDMI audio for HD530 skip this step:
Rename GFX02IGPU:
Add an item
Comment : 10.8+-RenameGFX02IGPU
Find <47465830>
Replace <49475055>

Step 3
Fix Apple's Graphics Display Policy :
Run the App(v.1.3) at the bottom of Post #1 here : Credit Shilohh Black Screen with MacPro 6,1 or iMac 15 or iMac 17 System Definition This will allow a picture to be displayed on your secondary monitor if a framebuffer connector edit is not required.

Now you can reboot and test the hotplug method. Test each monitor as primary and connect the 2nd. If this works for you, you are done. If it doesn't then the next step is connector edits.

Step 4
Connector edits for Skylake HD530 - 19120000

If you've already implemented HDMI using toleda's great CloverHDMI script and you're using HDMI for audio check your config.plist for a connector edit in the KernelAndKextpatches/KextsToPatch section.

Tools : IORegistry Explorer.
Download at the bottom of Post #1 https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-how-to-make-a-copy-of-ioreg.58368/

If neither of your secondary monitors are displaying a picture when connected/hotplugged it may be that the connector doesn't match your port. As seen in the native framebuffer for 1912000 above the working connectors are 3xDP. If either of your displays or secondary displays are HDMI or DVI (not DP) it is possible to patch the connector through Clover's on fly patching which is also easy to revert without physically editing any kexts.

An example to find what port you're attached to:
Boot connected individually to either your DVI or/and your HDMI monitor. Once at the desktop open IORegistry Explorer and look for IGPU (as we renamed it in Step 2). Screen shot below is an example of what you'll see, You can see display0 in the window and above it AppleIntelFramebuffer@1(highlighted). In the Property window to the right you can see that I've scrolled to see the port number which is port0x5 (at the bottom):
Now that you know the port number you can add a patch/connector edit to your config.plist. The above will work for you on any of the active connectors in the 1912000 Framebuffer once you've verified the port you are attached too.

Step 5 config.plist connector patches - 1912000
Note: HDMI and DVI are the same.

Here are all three patches for the active connectors. Procedure : find the connector port as described above and add the corresponding patch.

port0x5:
Comment : 10.11.4+-SKL-port_0x5-DP2HDMI
Find <01050900 00040000 87010000>
Replace <01050900 00080000 87010000>
View attachment 234474
port0x6
Comment : 10.11.4+-SKL-port_0x6-DP2HDMI
Find <02040a00 00040000 87010000>
Replace <02040a00 00080000 87010000>
View attachment 234478
port0x7
Comment : 10.11.4+-SKL-port_0x7-DP2HDMI
Find <03060a00 00040000 87010000>
Replace <03060a00 00080000 87010000>
View attachment 234476
Verify your connector edits. On my Asus Z170 Deluxe my attached connector on port0x5 is DP so no edits required yet my HDMI port is port0x6. So here is a before and after the config.plist AppleIntelSKLGraphicsFramebuffer.kext-port0x6 patch.

Before you'll see the connector-type as <00 04 00 00> which is DP (port0x6).
After you'll see the connector-type as <00 08 00 00> which is HDMI (port0x6).

Hopefully these workarounds should work for you and HD530 dual monitors. Not every system works but I've heard more success stories than failures.

Lucky workaround NOTE: Depending on your monitor it maybe possible for you to switch on your second monitor after the System has POST since it doesn't get initialised, it then boots normally into OS X (this works with my secondary monitor), some monitors are able send signals when powered and connected even when switched off which don't work this way. If you have any workarounds regarding HD530 dual monitors please post below as we'd all like to hear them thanks.

Hi. I'm use
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy (board-id) Patch (c) Pike R. Alpha</string>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
Ym9hcmQtaWQ=
</data>
<key>Name</key>
<string>AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
Ym9hcmQtaXg=
</data>
</dict>
and today I update my os from 10.12.* to 10.3.1.
This is fix not worked and I found fix
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>Disable board-id check to prevent no signal © lvs1974, Pike R. Alpha, vit9696</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>ugUAAAA=</data>
<key>Name</key>
<string>com.apple.driver.AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>ugAAAAA=</data>
</dict>
and this work
for 10.3.1, but I update system to 10.3.3 and this is fix not work.
I use AGDPfix_v1.3 now, but it bad work for my.

Hey everybody,

I’m having a similar issue. If just my ASUS 4K monitor is plugged in via DP, everything is great. But if I try to boot up with my second HDMI monitor plugged in, both screens go black half way through the Apple “loading” screen. The machine continues to run however and I suspect only the graphics driver crashes. This requires a hard reboot.

Hot plugging in the second monitor after booting results in flawless dual monitor operation. The only issue is when it’s time to boot again. It’s getting tiring pulling out my machine and fumbling with cables in the “rat’s nest” every time I boot up (and the ‘first world problem award’ goes to...). Has anybody found a viable solution with the most recent (as of late Jan. 2018) version of High Sierra and latest Nvidia Webdrivers?

Thanks in advance.

Back