Contribute
Register

[GUIDE/Workaround] Using Intel HD530 with Dual Monitors

it seems the only difference is the port type. Main display is attached to port 0x6, using platform 0x19260002 mark this port as DP (00 04 00 00), while using platform 0x19120000 mark it as HDMI (00 08 00 00). I've tried to use clover to change 08 to 04 but without successes (using ig platform 19120000). Any hints?

Thanks
You must have all three connector patches present in your config.plist for <19120000> since the native framebuffer using this ig-platform-id + 4th display patch has 3 eDP connectors. Disable them or remove them from your config.plist since they are not needed using DP connections. See post #62 for more tests.

Please connect your 2nd monitor for test 2 and attach IOReg.

which patch I need to remove? I've just 4th display patch and no other one (DP2HDMI because I've all DP ports)

Thanks!

which patch I need to remove? I've just 4th display patch and no other one (DP2HDMI because I've all DP ports)

Thanks!
If you're injecting <19120000> there must be DP2HDMI patches present in a config.plist of yours as the connector types won't be seen as HDMI without them. Only use the 4th Display patch.

That's the problem... I don't have any DP2HDMI patch on my plist. Injecting 0x19120000 for my board give me all port as HDMI instead of DP. The only way to have DP ports defined as DP (0004) is to use 0x19260002 :(

I've tried to invert patch to transform port type from HDMI to DP but without success..

That's the problem... I don't have any DP2HDMI patch on my plist. Injecting 0x19120000 for my board give me all port as HDMI instead of DP. The only way to have DP ports defined as DP (0004) is to use 0x19260002 :(

I've tried to invert patch to transform port type from HDMI to DP but without success..
OK, could you boot with 0x19120000, once at the desktop open DPCI manager (app attached to this post), under 'Misc' copy over the Boot Log as seen in the screen shot to text edit and attach it and an IOReg thanks.
Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 10.43.32.png

Attachments

• DPCIManager.zip
    1 MB · Views: 104
here is it
another strange things, with platform 0x19260002 if I'm trying to use the first DP port (the one with black screen), the PC reboots itself.. seems like the first DP port is not correctly recognized.

While with platform 19120000 it doesn't reboot, but after replug monitor on second DP port there is no more signal and I need to do an hard reset

Attachments

• boot.txt
    25.1 KB · Views: 177
  • ioexport_1912_new.ioreg
    2.6 MB · Views: 98
Last edited:
No new information, just posting this for posterity or info. Caveat: I understand that 10.12.4 resolves some of the 530 issues, maybe it helps with dual monitors, not sure yet.

I had a 95% there el cap build running on a 530 with dual monitors. I had to boot up with the HDMI monitor (actually, an Apple HD display via an HDMI-to-miniDP dongle) on, and turn on the second display (Apple Crystal display attached to DVI port) at the desktop. This worked most of the time. Every once in a while at boot up, the primary monitor would just blink and go off, and I'd have to hard-reset the machine, but this was pretty rare. I had the 4 port patch, the 0x1912000, inject intel, and patches to set the connector type for port for (on my mobo) ports 0x05 and 0x06 to DVI and HDMI respectively.

Then I decided to build Sierra. Long story short, after all the same patches plus the "glitch fix" patches for the upper left corner glitch, the same process to get dual monitors did not work. After several restarts, the desktop was up on the HDMI monitor, but turning on the DVI monitor caused that monitor's (the crystal Apple display) power/signal light to pulse. I thought that was a death knell, but for some reason, I flipped that monitor off, then on again, and lo and behold, I had dual monitors! No crash. But. I logged in, and made the huge mistake (apparently in retrospect) of setting the primary display FROM the dvi monitor TO the HDMI monitor, and I could never get dual monitors to work again with the crystal display. Note I had installed Sierra using a single monitor, the crystal monitor, over DVI.

Relatively happy ending. I removed the crystal display and plugged in a non-Apple 1080p monitor to the DVI port and I can now get dual monitors if I boot up to the DVI monitor and turn on the HDMI monitor at the desktop, which is the opposite of what used to work under el cap. On the plus side I haven't yet had this NOT work, as under el cap, as I said, once in a while it'd boot up on a single monitor and the monitor would spontaneously blink off, never to reawaken.

On the minus side, Sierra seems to have more display sleep issues (I've given up on actual system sleep if and until Nvidia ever releases pascal drivers for the 1070 I have sitting in a box on my desk). If I awaken the display after a short display sleep it usually wakes, but long display sleeps seem to crash the machine. I applied a few more patches from cnrd's guide for my mobo, so we'll see if that helps.

Moral of the story may be that, first, you may want to install using a single DVI connected monitor, and second, if you get dual monitors working, maybe don't change the primary display to the HDMI. In reality I'm still using a DVI and an HDMI monitor, just a different DVI monitor, but I thought it was interesting.

nothing to do.. remove injecting has the same behavior of using ID 0x19120000. I think my M800 need the 0x19260002 to have 4K display..
now after 10.12.4 I have problem with 802.1x :(

here is it
another strange things, with platform 0x19260002 if I'm trying to use the first DP port (the one with black screen), the PC reboots itself.. seems like the first DP port is not correctly recognized.

While with platform 19120000 it doesn't reboot, but after replug monitor on second DP port there is no more signal and I need to do an hard reset
Not sure that is the correct boot log for the IOReg. Simply as there are no connector patches in place to make ports 0x5/6/7 turn from DP to HDMI. AGDP policy is enabled, this is a major problem and documented in post#1. You have several config.plists. I can only assume the AppleIntelSKLGraphicsFramebuffer has been directly edited for HDMI using 0x19120000. Suggest if this is the case, run an update over your existing install.

No new information
Hey aol,
I've not updated and tested 10.12.4 and HD530 yet. Hopefully at the weekend. Thanks for posting your experiences so far. There does seem to be some discrepancies when dual monitors using DVI and HDMI.

Back