Contribute
Register

[GUIDE/Workaround] Using Intel HD530 with Dual Monitors

Hello, everyone. Could you please help me to set up two monitors on my MacOS Big Sur. I have two connections: one is HDMI and the other is DVI. Each of them works correctly if the second monitor is not connected. But when I boot the system with two, only the display with HDMI connection is loaded by default.
Hot plugging does not work.

I use Opencore to boot the system.

My hardware:

Gigabyte GA B150 HD3 Intel Core i3 6300
Graphics Intel HD 530

Hello, everyone. Could you please help me to set up two monitors on my MacOS Big Sur. I have two connections: one is HDMI and the other is DVI. Each of them works correctly if the second monitor is not connected. But when I boot the system with two, only the display with HDMI connection is loaded by default.
Hot plugging does not work.

I use Opencore to boot the system.

My hardware:

Gigabyte GA B150 HD3 Intel Core i3 6300
Graphics Intel HD 530
Did you solve this issue?

Is this even posible?

boot argument:
igfxonln=1
may help
I patched and corrected the framebufers in config.plist for DVi and HDMI, didnt work. After that i added the `igfxoinln=1` boot argument it didnt work also. Any more suggestions?

This is my config.plist:

Screen Shot 2023-07-28 at 12.36.37.png

Z170X motherboard

@bananas framebuffer-patch-enable should be second in the list of DeviceProperties for your IGPU. So WhateverGreen.kext applies all the following framebuffer patches.

Which if any boot arguments are you using? Are you using any IGPU specific boot args?

Which connector type do you have set/showing for con-0 &/or con-3 in Hackintool's > Patch > Connectors tab?

Screenshot 2023-07-28 at 23.05.15.png Example of Hackintool > Patch > Connectors tab
But with IGPU set with headless framebuffer. Yours will show different types for each available connector.

@bananas framebuffer-patch-enable should be second in the list of DeviceProperties for your IGPU. So WhateverGreen.kext applies all the following framebuffer patches.

Which if any boot arguments are you using? Are you using any IGPU specific boot args?

Which connector type do you have set/showing for con-0 &/or con-3 in Hackintool's > Patch > Connectors tab?

View attachment 569658 Example of Hackintool > Patch > Connectors tab
But with IGPU set with headless framebuffer. Yours will show different types for each available connector.
Thanks for the reply!

First i changed config.plist framefubber-patch-enable to be second after platform. Didnt help.

This are my boot args:

-v keepsyms=1 debug=0x100 alcid=1 igfxonln=1

An this is my connectors in hackintool:

Screen Shot 2023-07-31 at 07.17.05.png

why are all set to DP? if i patched my config.plist to DVI, HDMI?

and this is what i find in the OC log at boot:

01:279 00:179 OC: Requested resolution is 0x0@0 (max: 1, force: 0) from Max 01:287 00:007 OCC: Requesting 0x0@0 (max: 1) resolution, curr 1, total 5 01:294 00:007 OCC: Current FB at 0xD0000000 (0x300000), format 1, res 1024x768 scan 1024 01:302 00:007 OCC: Mode 0 - 1280x1024:1 01:309 00:007 OCC: Mode 1 - 1024x768:1 01:317 00:007 OCC: Mode 2 - 640x480:1 01:324 00:007 OCC: Mode 3 - 800x600:1 01:333 00:008 OCC: Mode 4 - 1920x1080:1 01:340 00:007 OCC: Setting mode 4 with 1920x1080 resolution 01:568 00:228 OCC: Changed resolution mode to 4 01:576 00:007 OC: Changed resolution to 0x0@0 (max: 1, force: 0) from Max - Success 01:584 00:007 OC: Selected UIScale 1 based on 1920x1080 resolution 01:592 00:007 OC: Setting UIScale to 1 - Success

is this 'max: 1' the reason why i only can boot with 1 monitor?

Which Skylake Z170 motherboard are you using? It is missing from your User Profile, so I have no idea which display connectors are available to your system.

Which i3 Skylake CPU are you using, again it is missing from your User profile.

The connectors in Hackintool don't show any patching taking place, as it shows you have a Dummy connector and 3 x DisplayPort connectors, which is what I would expect to see when no IGPU patches were present.

I know you have added entries setting con-1 as HDMI and con-2 as DVI to your config.plist, but these obviously haven't worked. If they had the alternate/correct connectors would show in Hackintool.

Are you using any Display cable adapters, i.e DP to HDMI, DP to DVI etc?

The UEFI > Output > Resolution set to 'Max' does what the name of the entry says, it tells the system to use the highest/maximum resolution available to the system. It doesn't or at least shouldn't impact on your setup using 2 x Displays.

The default for the UEFI > Output > Resolution entry is empty/false have you tried booting your system with this entry empty/false, to see what difference setting it to 'Max' makes?

FYI, the OC log 'Resolution' section has nothing to do with how macOS is displayed. The OC resolution section only deals with how the OC boot screen and initial Apple Logo are displayed. Once the bootloader hands over to the OS these settings are immaterial and have no further bearing/impact on your system.

When making any changes to your config.plist or OC EFI folder do you remember to use the ResetNvramEntry.efi option from the OC GUI or Picker List. This is necessary to make sure any old entries are removed from the system NVRAM and only the new entries are used. Obviously you would need to have the ResetNvramEntry.efi option in your /EFI/OC/Drivers folder with a corresponding entry in your config.plist in order to be able to use this option.

OK, providing your system profile data really helps, as it previously said you had an i3 CPU, when you have an i7.

Your motherboard has the following display connectors built-in to the rear I/O plate.

Screenshot 2023-07-31 at 18.39.33.png
VGA - Don't use this connector even with an adapter.
DVI & HDMI are OK for macOS with some caveats.

I assume from the Resolution data you previously provided that you have at least one 1920x1080 display, your main display as seen by OpenCore.

Questions:
  1. Which make/model displays are you using?
  2. What's the max resolution for each display?
  3. How is each display connected to the Hack?
  4. Which version of macOS are you running?
Can you provide a copy of your Whole EFI, so we can see exactly what you are using with your Skylake system. Just remember to redact/delete your serial number from the config.plist before you post a copy here.

Which Skylake Z170 motherboard are you using? It is missing from your User Profile, so I have no idea which display connectors are available to your system.

Which i3 Skylake CPU are you using, again it is missing from your User profile.

The connectors in Hackintool don't show any patching taking place, as it shows you have a Dummy connector and 3 x DisplayPort connectors, which is what I would expect to see when no IGPU patches were present.

I know you have added entries setting con-1 as HDMI and con-2 as DVI to your config.plist, but these obviously haven't worked. If they had the alternate/correct connectors would show in Hackintool.

The UEFI > Output > Resolution set to 'Max' does what the name of the entry says, it tells the system to use the highest/maximum resolution available to the system. It doesn't or at least shouldn't impact on your setup using 2 x Displays.

The default for the UEFI > Output > Resolution entry is empty/false have you tried booting your system with this entry empty/false, to see what difference setting it to 'Max' makes?

FYI, the OC log 'Resolution' section has nothing to do with how macOS is displayed. The OC resolution section only deals with how the OC boot screen and initial Apple Logo are displayed. Once the bootloader hands over to the OS these settings are immaterial and have no further bearing/impact on your system.

When making any changes to your config.plist or OC EFI folder do you remember to use the ResetNvramEntry.efi option from the OC GUI or Picker List. This is necessary to make sure any old entries are removed from the system NVRAM and only the new entries are used. Obviously you would need to have the ResetNvramEntry.efi option in your /EFI/OC/Drivers folder with a corresponding entry in your config.plist in order to be able to use this option.

Thanks again!

Im using a dvi cable and a hdmi cable to this ports:

1690976777381.png

I dont mind VGA.

Obviously you would need to have the ResetNvramEntry.efi option in your /EFI/OC/Drivers folder with a corresponding entry in your config.plist in order to be able to use this option.

I never did that, i guess i have to try to patch again doing this nvram reset.

Questions:
  1. Which make/model displays are you using?
  2. What's the max resolution for each display?
  3. How is each display connected to the Hack?
  4. Which version of macOS are you running?

1. LG 22mp55 and samsung ls22f350
2. both are 1080p
3 lg only has DVI and samsung has HDMI adn VGA.
4 im running 11.7.8 BigSur

After trying again all combination of config.plist using NVRAMRESET with no luck.

Finally i made it, i use this boot flags that change something:

This
agdpmod=vit9696

allowed me to plug HDMI after boot and finally be able to have 2 monitors. (I have to boot in the dvi then plug the hdmi)

i understand that AGDP checks the board id, since i use the serial of an imac17.1 macos didnt allow multiple monitors. Can i change this serial to an macmini or a macpro?

1690987448096.png

Connectors are still wrong, nevertheless i patch both fb to dvi and hdmi.

Back