Contribute
Register

[Guide-WIP] Lenovo Ideapad 710s 13 Kaby Lake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey dronefriend , today I read your guide and it does not seem like a very simple journey. Are you still satisfied with your installation, the system is stable? what types of problems does it present?

regards!

I'm not dronefriend, but I used his help a lot so I hope I can answer this.

I bought the ideapad 710s to turn it into a hackintosh for my wife. It definitely is not a simple journey, it's definitely worth it. I was able to install high Sierra on it and my wife is blown away and couldn't be happier with it.

Some advice, read everything that is suggested. Read it thoroughly, even if something seems like it might not apply to you.

With high Sierra, I didn't have to worry about kexts for the nvme SSD. That reduced a lot of work. Some things that are giving me an issue, that I'm still working on (but haven't had time to work out yet):

- laptop doesn't go into sleep mode when I close the lid.
- Trackpad gestures don't work.
- Function keys like brightness control don't work (but the brightness control slider is present in the OS and works.)
- audio doesn't work.
- webcam doesn't work.

That's it so far. Please understand this doesn't mean these functions don't work yet, just that I still have to work them out.

It definitely is worth it.

Hey guys sorry for not checking in.

Some gestures on trackpad works. Some does not. Swipe from side to side to change window panes can be made to work, as can three finger swipe up and down.

Audio does of course work :) I suggest AppleALC with Lilu. You can use a patched AppleHDA if that suits you too.

Sleep when closing lid should work too. And my webcam works out of the box.
Brightness keys can be made to work but needs a little tinkering with.

The only problem I have had is that sometimes sleep and shutdown breaks, and it has got something to do with USB devices not being detached properly from the system.

You cannot shut down the computer with a usb device attached, it will reboot. And sometimes it believes something is attached, even though it was unmounted and removed.

Audio does of course work :) I suggest AppleALC with Lilu. You can use a patched AppleHDA if that suits you too.

Sleep when closing lid should work too.
I've tried AppleALC with Lilu like you suggested, alas audio seems to stop working after closing and opening the lid.
I basically used the CLOVER folder that you posted a couple pages back with a few slight unrelated modifications.
Did you not experience this issue?

Also, sleep doesn't seem to work beyond something like S2, everything but the monitor seems to keep working and the sleep indicator led stays continuously lit.

Thanks in advance if you have any additional info to share regarding this :)

I've tried AppleALC with Lilu like you suggested, alas audio seems to stop working after closing and opening the lid.
I basically used the CLOVER folder that you posted a couple pages back with a few slight unrelated modifications.

Also, sleep doesn't seem to work beyond something like S2, everything but the monitor seems to keep working and the sleep indicator led stays continuously lit.

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

You need Rehabmans CodecCommander and you might need a little tweak to it in its plist. There is a flag for something with Reset or Sleep or something to that affect. Writing completely off old memory here.

But it is also possible you don’t even need this tweak and just codeccommander.

Also, have you applied correct id-layout for audio as specified in Lilu FAQ? Cannot recall what it is but might be in the config.plist posted. Otherwise, it is in Lilu FAQ. Look for ALC236 layout id.

Added: Sleep should work with a few exceptions regarding attached USB devices. You should be able to see the small led indicator switch to pulsing mode upon closing lid and regular sleep after a few minutes.

I’ll try and remember posting everything from /EFI/ later or in a few days!

You need Rehabmans CodecCommander and you might need a little tweak to it in its plist. There is a flag for something with Reset or Sleep or something to that affect. Writing completely off old memory here.

Also, have you applied correct id-layout for audio as specified in Lilu FAQ? Cannot recall what it is but might be in the config.plist posted. Otherwise, it is in Lilu FAQ. Look for ALC236 layout id.

Added: Sleep should work with a few exceptions regarding attached USB devices. You should be able to see the small led indicator switch to pulsing mode upon closing lid and regular sleep after a few minutes.

All CodecCommander settings can be overridden in ACPI.
SSDT-AppleALC.dsl has the overrides necessary. See *.dsl in my CodecCommander github.

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
I apologize for not doing that, I (apparently, wrongly) assumed that having an identical model and using an identical EFI folder would eliminate the need for sharing configuration-specific debugging info when asking for help. My sincerest apologies.

I must've completely fried my brain spending ~30 hours straight installing High Sierra and trying to create a DSDT for my laptop from scratch using old knowledge I had from the El Capitan era (before turning to your Clover folder), that despite following every guide I could find in every language I know regarding CodecCommander configuration - I still couldn't make it work peoperly.

Which is why I posted here for help in hope that somebody with this laptop model would be kind enough to share a modified info.plist (or the whole kext) that has already been made to work with this configuration :)

All CodecCommander settings can be overridden in ACPI.
SSDT-AppleALC.dsl has the overrides necessary. See *.dsl in my CodecCommander github.
Again, I would be most grateful if anyone who has already gone through properly configuring it for this specific model would kindly share their modifications, as I don't seem to be able to overcome this one on my own :(

I appreciate you guys taking the time to help out, and I again apologize for wasting it, if I did.

I apologize for not doing that, I (apparently, wrongly) assumed that having an identical model and using an identical EFI folder would eliminate the need for sharing configuration-specific debugging info when asking for help. My sincerest apologies.

I must've completely fried my brain spending ~30 hours straight installing High Sierra and trying to create a DSDT for my laptop from scratch using old knowledge I had from the El Capitan era (before turning to your Clover folder), that despite following every guide I could find in every language I know regarding CodecCommander configuration - I still couldn't make it work peoperly.

Which is why I posted here for help in hope that somebody with this laptop model would be kind enough to share a modified info.plist (or the whole kext) that has already been made to work with this configuration :)

Again, I would be most grateful if anyone who has already gone through properly configuring it for this specific model would kindly share their modifications, as I don't seem to be able to overcome this one on my own :(

I appreciate you guys taking the time to help out, and I again apologize for wasting it, if I did.
I promise you I’ll post everything for High Sierra before next weekend. Maybe even tomorrow.

My /CLOVER/ and my CodecCommander copy.

Careful with using that. You are not able to copy and paste, and copying between Clover Configurator windows can lead to strange results.

Notes:

I am no longer using MacBook Air definition. This post .plist use definitions for MacBook Pro 14,1
Values for serial no and MLB and smuuid in RTVariables, SMBIOS and System Parameters in config.plist are omitted.
There are kexts in /Other/, but the config.plist is set to Detect. I boot from L/E/. Do not get confused because there are kexts in /Other/, they are not in use..
You may be able to use my DSDT and other .aml files in ACPI/Patched, but you may also not be. Have backups handy if you try them.
I have Intel Speedstep enabled in config.plist. It might interfere if you just copy the plist, I don't know.

My CLOVER setup is using OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi in /drivers64UEFI/. Again, a reason to not just copy and paste certain folders. You can use it too but you have to install it properly through Clover installation. You can and should uninstall RCScripts and EmuVariable (and AptioFix2) if you do.

I probably have forgotten something else. Be careful what you're doing and good luck!

Attachments

• tonymac.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 204
Thank you so much! :thumbup:
I will obviously not be copying it over as is, I'll go over both configs and see where I could go wrong and how to improve it.

I boot from L/E/. Do not get confused because there are kexts in /Other/, they are not in use..
Why do you prefer to install the kexts to /L/E instead of EFI/Clover?
I've used most of the kexts from the list you've provided on page 4 of this thread, and they all seem to be working perfectly well from EFI/Clover. It feels more convenient, being able to swap them out whenever without hassle - or is there something I'm missing?

Values for serial no and MLB and smuuid in RTVariables, SMBIOS and System Parameters in config.plist are omitted.
Another thing I'm not so sure about - are those values even necessary for anything?
I've never bothered inputting them, and everything seems to have always been working just fine.
And if I do decide to input something there, where do I get serial numbers for an obviously non-apple product?

Again, thank you a lot for taking the time to help out, it is greatly appreciated :shifty:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back