CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
R9 380X
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This guide is for the
Lenovo Ideapad 710s 13inch laptop
Intel 7200U, 8 GB RAM and 256 GB Samsung PM961 NVMe SSD & 1080p IPS screen.

This guide has been made possible with much help from the RehabMan, and a large portion of the patches or kexts are his creation. All other creations such as Clover and other kexts or patches are much credited to their respective creator. This guide is my way for trying to pay back the community the great service I’ve been given, getting this laptop to work.

I will not be held responsible for any harm that may come to your laptop or data for using this guide.
IMG_0676.JPG

Features working:
Touchpad & Keyboard
Internal screen with full GPU acceleration and brightness keys
Battery status (Partly OOB)
Audio. Speakers, headphones and internal mic
Bluetooth (OOB)
Memory card reader (OOB)
Internal webcamera, though glitchy in some scenarios like ’Scan Signature to PDF’ (OOB)
Sleep/Wake/Shutdown (with rare exceptions)
Power Management
USB 3.0 speed
iMessage (after installation of supported WiFi chip)

Features not working:
WiFi. This can be solved by purchasing a BCM94352Z for around $20. I have the ’Lenovo’ version of this chip, which is working well.
Micro-HDMI out. I have not yet tried to enable this.

Note: To my understanding this laptop is advertised as using Intel WiFi. On the contrary, my laptop came with Qualcomm Atheros 6174A. If yours arrive with Intel WiFi, I do not know if Bluetooth is working OOB.

Overall, I am very satisfied with this laptop as a hackintosh. The drawbacks from a real mac are (beside the excessive patching required) the trackpad, the battery life and the screen quality. The screen is much better than a Macbook Air’s, but not as good as a Retina Pro. If a Macbook Air’s trackpad is a 10/10, this one is a 7/10 in my opinion.

The guide is split into four parts:
1) Requirements
2) Preparation
3) Installation
4) Post-install

Background, covering my entire procedure and problems can be found in these threads:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/preparing-a-lenovo-710s-7200u-samsung-nvme-for-osx.213732/ (Install)
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/help-with-post-install-lenovo-ideapad-710s-13ikb.214123/ (Post-install).

1) Requirements.
A USB thumb drive with El Capitan 11.6. I suggest you use the method described in this thread
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/
and not Unibeast. This is the method I have used. It is described in short here, but I suggest you read the entire post in linked thread for more understanding of the process.

Use
Code:
 # copy installer image
sudo "/Applications/Install OS X El Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia" --volume  /Volumes/install_osx --applicationpath "/Applications/Install OS X El Capitan.app" --nointeraction
in terminal. Make sure the process finishes.
  • Now the USB is partly prepared, but you still need to customize your /EFI/Clover/.
You will also need several patches and kexts. Install them to their corresponding paths on /EFI/Clover/. Find them in the thread linked above (Guide booting the OSX installer)
FakeSMC.kext
VoodooPS2Controller.kext
SATA-100-series-unsupported.kext (at bottom of linked post)
FakePCIID for the 7200U CPU (two kexts),
USBInjectAll.kext
A config.plist. Find the link and correct .plist in Guide booting the OSX installer. You are looking for config_620.plist.

For installation, I suggest you use the NVMeGenericDriver.kext to enable SSD support. I also strongly recommend you to create a new .kext which will be described in Post-Install and delete NVMeGeneric after installation. For installation purpose, this kext can be found here: http://www.macvidcards.com/nvme-driver.html
Optional and preferred if you have it: If you already have a HackNVMeFamily.kext for 11_6, created with the Spoof option and corresponding .aml in ACPI/Patched/, you should use that instead of NVMeGeneric. BIOS path for the drive is PSXS.RP09. Remember the Remove XDSM methods patch in config.plist.

Put these kexts under EFI/Clover/Kexts/10.11/ or under /Other/. Install the config_620.plist by renaming it to config.plist and replace the old one from EFI/Clover/. Now your USB is prepared.
For reference, I have attached a EFI/CLOVER/ copy at bottom of this post. This copy lacks the NVMeGeneric.kext driver, and is not using the latest up to date .kexts that are available if you follow the guide linked, which you should. You can use this copy to confirm you have the right drivers in /Clover/Drivers64/. The config.plist differs from RehabMans preferred config.plist quite a bit. It has been 'cleaned up', meaning it does not contain several good fail-safe options anymore. Simply grabbing this copy will severly limit your understanding of the process, and it won't work.

Backup all of your Windows data. There might be a way to preserve the original Windows installation, but this guide will not cover it. However, I have a fully working Windows install on my computer created after OSX installation, available through multi-boot.

2) Preparation.
A)
This computer is running Windows in RAID mode per default. The BIOS does not allow a AHCI mode as is. For you to install OSX on it, you must enable AHCI.
You will need to download and install this BIOS. It was made for Linux installs by Lenovo and will enable switching from RAID to AHCI mode, (but will not do so automatically).
http://support.lenovo.com/se/sv/downloads/ds119359

Install it and reboot. Do not attempt to switch mode just yet. Switching from RAID to AHCI will render your Windows non-working. I think you should have Windows working after switching modes, as there may be things you need to do before installing OS X. To do this, follow the short procedure in this link:
http://triplescomputers.com/blog/un...ch-windows-10-from-raidide-to-ahci-operation/

Now you are good to go. You can access BIOS by pressing FN+F1 and F2 after reboot (I do not know which of the keys that does the trick). Switch to AHCI mode, I believe it is on the first or second page, and reboot. Upon entering desktop, you now have a Windows Install under AHCI. Confirm this in Device Manager. Your SSD should sit under an AHCI or NVMe Controller, and not RAID or RIST.

B) Confirm your SSD sits on BIOS path PXSX RP09, and has DeviceID a144. This confirms the drive being a PM961. Use Device Manager in Windows to find out.
C) My laptop came with PS2 keyboard and trackpad. Yours should too, but confirm this in Device Manager.
D) Backup your Windows data on a separate harddrive. There will be risks after this stage.
E) Enter diskpart in Windows from cmd. Beware, this is a powerful tool and not following proper instructions may well render your drive unusable or hard to recover. Select correct disk. Select correct partition (the MSR partition). Delete the MSR partition. This thread will help you: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/mavericks-windows-8-on-same-drive-without-erasing.133940/page-9

F) Create a new partition. This will be your macOS partition. Do not format it, just create unallocated space. Do this using either diskpart or the built in Disk Manager tool in Windows. I used the Disk Manager.
G) Restart. Check the newly created partitions have stuck. Then restart again and enter BIOS.
H) In BIOS: Disable Secure Boot. Choose USB as the prioritized boot media. You are about to install macOS. Insert your install_osx USB, then Save and Exit and restart.
I) If you are unable to boot from USB, try fiddling with Legacy Mode and UEFI mode in BIOS until the computer finds it. This ends the Preparation Stage.

Attachments

• TONYMAC_CLOVER_USB_CAPITAN_LAPTOP.zip
    4 MB · Views: 838
Last edited:
3) Install
Choose corresponding language.

A) Enter Disk Utility. Can you see both the old Windows partition and the unallocated space you created for macOS? Good.
If not:
Can you not see the drive at all? You probably forgot the NVMeGeneric driver. Start over.
Can you see the Windows partition but not the unallocated partition you created? You probably did something wrong, but it won't matter.

If you can see the unallocated partition: Erase the disk as Apple HFS+ (Journaled) GUID partition table.
If you cannot see the unallocated partition: Try to erase the disk with same option anyway. Hopefully it works, if not, try what you can in Disk Utility. If that fails, enter diskutil from terminal and see what you can do from there. The goal is to erase the disk with the option above.

Now you might wonder, why you went through the trouble deleting the MSR partition and creating the unallocated space. The MSR partition, I have read, can be resiliant and stick around even after erasing the disk. Whether or not that is true, I have also read that OSX does not like that partition at all, and it can cause the install to fail if it is present from the start.

The unallocated space, I don't know. I am writing from memory here and I seem to recall I did that, but I don't remember the reason for it. What I do know is ultimately I erased the entire disk as Apple HFS+ (Journaled) GUID partition table.

Choose to install to the disk.

B) Somewhere here the computer will want to restart. Let it. Make sure the computer boots to Clover again, and boot the same Installation program.

C) Install to your newly created disk. The timer is set to 10 min if I remember correctly. This timer will go down to zero. When this happens, there is still about 20 minutes left of installation, for a total of 30 min. While it might seem the installation stopped or failed when it doesn't restart, just wait. After about 20 more minutes it will.

This ends the third stage. Post-installation section to follow next weekend.

Hello dronefriend, any update for the post installation guide? I'm interested on making my idepad 710s a hackintosh. Below is my specs:

Chassis Type
Type Notebook
Processor
Clockspeed 2.5GHz
Description Intel® Core™ i5-7200U Processor
No. of Cores 2 Core 4 Threads
Graphic Card
Graphic Processor Model Intel® HD Graphics 620
Laptop Specification
Display Screen Size 13.3" FHD TN AG(SLIM)
Battery Capacity 4-Cells, Up to 8 hours
Memory
Memory Size 4GB
Memory Types LPDDR3 1866 ONBOARD
Hardrive
Hardrive Installed 256GB SSD
Operating System
Operating System W10 HOME
Service

Do you think my ideapad 710s would work with your method too?

Hello dronefriend, any update for the post installation guide? I'm interested on making my idepad 710s a hackintosh. Below is my specs:

Chassis Type
Type Notebook
Processor
Clockspeed 2.5GHz
Description Intel® Core™ i5-7200U Processor
No. of Cores 2 Core 4 Threads
Graphic Card
Graphic Processor Model Intel® HD Graphics 620
Laptop Specification
Display Screen Size 13.3" FHD TN AG(SLIM)
Battery Capacity 4-Cells, Up to 8 hours
Memory
Memory Size 4GB
Memory Types LPDDR3 1866 ONBOARD
Hardrive
Hardrive Installed 256GB SSD
Operating System
Operating System W10 HOME
Service

Do you think my ideapad 710s would work with your method too?
Looks the same to me. Post direct link to the exact product you own and let me check.

Have so much stuff to do but could post a list with patches to apply. Most of them are fairly easy once you know what to do. Can do this during the weekend.

Looks the same to me. Could be a different SSD inside (andother things as well of course) but nothing I can make out from here.

I'll post something this weekend.

You will need:

MaciASL (Use RehabMans version)
Extract your DSDT to /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/Patched/ with Clover. Find out how with RehabMans Laptop FAQ thread

And find out how to use the DSDT properly in this thread!
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/

(Post-Installation)

Special NVMe SSDT and HackrNVMeFamily.kext.

If your computer has the same drive as mine (Samsung PM961/ 960 EVO), you'll need to pay special attention when using 11.6. You'll need an SSDT with some more lines of code, and you need to check if it's located on RP09. If it is, you can use mine attached. Put in ACPI/Patched with the USB-SSDT you'll find out about below.

Also, get and create a HackrNVMeFamily.kext for 11.6: https://github.com/RehabMan/patch-nvme
And last, you will need to apply the Rename _DSM methods -> XDSM patch in MaciASL, to your DSDT. You should apply this patch first of all, because you will need to apply _DSM methods afterwards, which must not be renamed to XDSM!

This should replace the NVMeGeneric driver that was used for Installation, if you decided not to use this solution from the start. The two kexts should not co-exist when booting, do not install them both.

USB-SSDT (see mine attached, called "SSDT-UIAC" or make your own). Note: Mine is configed for Bluetooth from my custom WiFi chip. I do not remember what port it uses now, but vanilla bluetooth was using USB2->port or "lane" 8. It might still be the same. Use with USBInjectAll.kext

SSDT for Power Management. Made using sshPRGen. You can use mine attached.

IntelBacklight.kext from RehabMan. Enables option to choose display brightness in Syspref. To be used with IntelBrightness fix DSDT patch in MaciASL.
To use your hotkeys on keyboard, you also need a DSDT patch. Find the patch in RehabMans Brightness thread. The keys you are looking for are: _____ (I'll get back on this)

ACPIBatteryManager.kext
https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-ACPI-Battery-Driver . Normally, this driver needs heavy DSDT editing to work. Luckily for us, this computers DSDT need no patching at all. Install kext and enjoy.

Other patches to apply to your DSDT in MaciASL:
Rename GFX0 to IGPU
(or use Clover Hotpatch)

Fix Mutex with non-zero Sync-level. Apply this. If it changes things in DSDT, thats good. If this does nothing, the fix was not necessary but no harm made.

OS Check Fix (Windows 8)

-----

I have also attached my config.plist. It is incomplete. You will need to customize the SMBIOS part for yourself. I use Macbook Air 7,2 definition. I have tried the Macbook Pro definition a couple of times. Always Prohibited Sign at boot, so I gave up that.
Also notice I have more RAM than your laptop, delete a value there. And fill out your own boot volume name in /Boot/.

And lastly:
For sound:
Install attached .zip kexts to S/L/E. Store the vanilla AppleHDA somewhere else for safe keeping.
The zip contains an AppleHDA.kext with patches made by myself especially for this laptop, and CodecCommander from RehabMan. You will also need to switch audio output from 24bit to 16 bit using the native OSX app
Audio MIDI setup tool.

There are probably a few things I have forgotten. Don't hesitate to ask when something comes up.. good luck!

Attachments

• SSDT-NVMe-Pcc.aml
    209 bytes · Views: 608
  • SSDT-UIAC.aml
    387 bytes · Views: 499
  • ssdt.aml
    1.9 KB · Views: 548
  • config.plist
    7.1 KB · Views: 539
  • WORKING HDA OWN VERBS.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 378
Last edited:
Thank you so much for the post installation guide! i will definitely try this, wish me luck! :)

Hello, dronefiend! Sorry for offtop and my bad english, but maybe you can measure (check) 710s SSD speed? (with helping of crystal disk mark or any other similar soft). I want to buy this laptop but can't find any information about ssd speed in this particular configuration (with "256 GB Samsung PM651 NVMe SSD")

Hey

Its a Sammy PM961 and in OSX is reaches around 1800mbit/s read and 1200 write speeds. Be aware, the write speed throttles down to around 400 mb/s when running speed test. Dont know why.

Cant remember windows speeds but they were slightly better and no throttling, but not completely sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back