Contribute
Register

[Guide] USB power property injection for Sierra (and later)

Great guide, I applied the two SSDT and have corrected the problems of awakening with magic keyboard and magic mouse, also the pendrive are loaded immediately on awakening.
Thanks Rehabman, I use a smbios Imac 17.1 and I have been very useful your Guide.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

PS sorry, my bad English

Hi Mr. RehabMan how do i know if my patch is correct & working?
- i saw my smbios macbookpro 11,1 in IOUSBHostFamily.kext
- i also saw the in AppleBusPOwerControllerUSB.kext
kUSBSleepPortCurrentLimit - 2100
kUSBSleepPowerSupply - 2600
kUSBWakePortCurrentLimit - 2100
kUSBWakePowerSupply - 3200
-i have EC0 on my DSDT.

i add the following patch above to my SSDT-UIAC
then in config.plist EC0>EC.

please check my ioreg & SSDT-UIAC.dsl attach file below.

Attachments

• origUSBALLdslTempw:powercontroller.zip
    2.4 KB · Views: 73
  • Alexis-Sofia’s MacBook Pro.zip
    524.3 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Hi Mr. RehabMan how do i know if my patch is correct & working?
- i saw my smbios macbookpro 11,1 in IOUSBHostFamily.kext
- i also saw the in AppleBusPOwerControllerUSB.kext
kUSBSleepPortCurrentLimit - 2100
kUSBSleepPowerSupply - 2600
kUSBWakePortCurrentLimit - 2100
kUSBWakePowerSupply - 3200
-i have EC0 on my DSDT.

i add the following patch above to my SSDT-UIAC
then in config.plist EC0>EC.

please check my ioreg & SSDT-UIAC.dsl attach file below.

Since MacBookPro11,1 already has USB power properties in IOUSBHostFamily.kext, you don't need to provide them in your SSDT-UIAC (RMCF. "AppleBusPowerControllerUSB").

That is only for the case you want to override the default values... so injecting the same values as overrides is clearly not necessary.

Last edited:
Since MacBookPro11,1 already has USB power properties in IOUSBHostFamily.kext, you don't need to provide them in your SSDT-UIAC (RMCF. "AppleBusPowerControllerUSB").
thanks Mr.RehabMan :D

As stated before this works great - however I can't charge my iPad and iPhone at the same time with this. The iPad is "not charging" while the iPhone is charging, but as soon as the iPhone reaches 100% charge the iPad starts charging. The ports are not on the same hub at all (one is on the back of my computer, one is in front).

Can this be fixed/improved by me somehow? It seems weird that USB power delivery in one port should be affected by another port, so am I correct in assuming that it's a software issue somehow?

As stated before this works great - however I can't charge my iPad and iPhone at the same time with this. The iPad is "not charging" while the iPhone is charging, but as soon as the iPhone reaches 100% charge the iPad starts charging. The ports are not on the same hub at all (one is on the back of my computer, one is in front).

Can this be fixed/improved by me somehow? It seems weird that USB power delivery in one port should be affected by another port, so am I correct in assuming that it's a software issue somehow?

No idea.
May be by design. Do same test on a real Mac.

This is fine, but you could have renamed ECDV -> EC instead of SSDT-EC.aml.
I think either way will work.
Can you please check mine as well. All problem reporting files are in attached zipfile. It appears to me that iPad/iPhone charging works on USB2 ports, will test USB3 ports later. This is for my GA-Z170X-UD3 build with system definition 17.1 It appears charging stops after a while. Will test with changes to "Devices USB" settings. Maybe disable "inject" will do the trick.

Attachments

• SixArchives.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Can you please check mine as well. All problem reporting files are in attached zipfile. It appears to me that iPad/iPhone charging works on USB2 ports, will test USB3 ports later. This is for my GA-179X-UD3
build with system definition 17.1

Looks fine (implemented with fake EC and USBX).

Thanks for your quick response.
Test Feedback: I have run some tests to ascertain why my iPad only charges for about 5 minutes when connected to a USB2 port on my rig
after I implemented RehabMan's fantastic fake EC and USBX patch on my GA-Z170X-UD3 build. Please note I stumbled across this patch quite by accident earlier today.
For what it is worth here are my findings :
"Umbilical cording" :) my iPhone, via a USB2 port poses no charging problems whatsoever, even during periods of extended sleep.
It does not matter what settings are present in "Clover config.plist Devices USB". As a result I unticked everything in that area ie. inject, high power and fix ownership.
Now to my iPad:
This device only charges for a few minutes, after which it informs me, via it's charging status indicator, that it is - not charging - . It does not matter what settings are present in "Clover config.plist Devices USB" Consequently I left them ALL unticked as they do not seem to affect USB operation at all.
Then I tested my iPad on a USB3 port and voila, it worked.
Conclusion or findings:
USB2 ports are not capable to supply the power which is required by the iPad, with the iPad disconnecting itself automatically from a USB2 "power source"
The iPhone on the other hand is quite happy with the power - current - that is available on a USB2 port and charges merrily until the batteries are at full capacity.
When connecting the iPad to a native USB3 port it however charges without problems or interruptions.
In my opinion, that stands to reason as the specification for USB3 ports provide for higher power delivery compared to USB2 ports. Indeed the charger that was supplied with my iPhone is rated at 1 amp whereas for the iPad the charger is rated at 2.1 amps.
Hoping that this feedback will be useful for those struggling with this issue.
Thanks and appreciation go specifically to RehabMan for providing and documenting the solution to this problem in such a concise and detailed manner so that even I could implement the patches without wrecking my brain into extinction :)
I just wander what the size of the hackintosh "family" would have been had it not been for RehabMan's efforts and inputs over the years, his excellent technical inputs and patience with some users, are just admirable.
Cheers

Back