Contribute
Register

[Guide] USB power property injection for Sierra (and later)

Hi RehabMan. Can you take a look at my files? Still can't get this working. Last time I was able to charge my iPad and use an external Apple DVD drive was under Yosemite... Thanks for all you do.

It is working, but you should probably also inject the legacy power properties.
You have a lot of devices on EHCI, so maybe those drivers still use the old properties.
You can inject that with config.plist/Devices/USB/Inject=true

Also you might consider putting everything on xHCI and disabling the EHCI controllers.

It is working, but you should probably also inject the legacy power properties.
You have a lot of devices on EHCI, so maybe those drivers still use the old properties.
You can inject that with config.plist/Devices/USB/Inject=true

Also you might consider putting everything on xHCI and disabling the EHCI controllers.

Thats one thing i was going to say. It appears that Apple still injects the Legacy AAPL Values but the question is do you actually still need them if your only running macOS Sierra? I haven't tried it without but from looking on my Apple MacBook they're still being used.

Thats one thing i was going to say. It appears that Apple still injects the Legacy AAPL Values but the question is do you actually still need them if your only running macOS Sierra? I haven't tried it without but from looking on my Apple MacBook they're still being used.

You can't tell if they are being used by looking at the ioreg.
That only tells you if Apple is still injecting them.
And of course, even if they are not used anymore, Apple is not going to bother providing a firmware update to remove the injections as it simply doesn't matter if they are still injected.... and updating firmware on many many customer computers is all risk, no reward.

Hi Rehabman, Ive managed to follow everything in your original post. Where Im getting lost is that I know I need to to create a SSDT USBX file, but I don't know where or how I create this. I also don't know how to inject this either. I do have the iMac 17,1 def. Can you please guide me?

Hi Rehabman, Ive managed to follow everything in your original post. Where Im getting lost is that I know I need to to create a SSDT USBX file, but I don't know where or how I create this. I also don't know how to inject this either. I do have the iMac 17,1 def. Can you please guide me?

Run MaciASL. Create new (empty) document. Paste the code from post #1. File Save As, format: ACPI Machine Language Binary, name: SSDT-USBX.aml.

Run MaciASL. Create new (empty) document. Paste the code from post #1. File Save As, format: ACPI Machine Language Binary, name: SSDT-USBX.aml.

Thank you very much. I didn't have this basics steps knowledge. Ive done it now, and got the iPad and iPhone charging!

I did the "combined" SSDT... iPad/iPhone charge now. Still not sure what my actual mobo is capable of (GA-H110N). I do have one of those cheap USB power monitor things. The odd thing is when I connect using that to my USB 2.0 front panel USB, it shows 4.67V and 0.67A and the iPad says "Not charging" however, when I connect the iPad directly, I get a "Charging" indication on the iPad.

I wonder if that's an indication that the port can't actually handle the power and it's "browning out" when trying to power the meter AND charge the iPad.

With out the SSDT installed, I get "not charging" no matter what, so pretty sure I did the patch correctly. If you have a sec @RehabMan, mind taking a look?

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 83
  • Raptor.ioreg
    6.6 MB · Views: 82
I did the "combined" SSDT... iPad/iPhone charge now. Still not sure what my actual mobo is capable of (GA-H110N). I do have one of those cheap USB power monitor things. The odd thing is when I connect using that to my USB 2.0 front panel USB, it shows 4.67V and 0.67A and the iPad says "Not charging" however, when I connect the iPad directly, I get a "Charging" indication on the iPad.

I wonder if that's an indication that the port can't actually handle the power and it's "browning out" when trying to power the meter AND charge the iPad.

With out the SSDT installed, I get "not charging" no matter what, so pretty sure I did the patch correctly. If you have a sec @RehabMan, mind taking a look?

Probably indicates your power meter is interfering...

Back