Contribute
Register

[Guide] USB power property injection for Sierra (and later)

i found there is no any information about my smbios 13,1 in IOUSBHostFamily.kext/Contents/Info.plist, it means that there's no necessary for me to chang anything, right?

i found there is no any information about my smbios 13,1 in IOUSBHostFamily.kext/Contents/Info.plist, it means that there's no necessary for me to chang anything, right?

Read post #1.

@RehabMan I'm interested in getting sleep, and then wake from USB working on my Dell XPS 15 9550. It's my understanding that the current recommendation for laptops is still to apply your USB instant wake fixes to the DSDT. Have you ever seen a method to allow for proper USB sleep/wake? I'd like to understand more of the technical reasons behind why this doesn't work.

@RehabMan I'm interested in getting sleep, and then wake from USB working on my Dell XPS 15 9550. It's my understanding that the current recommendation for laptops is still to apply your USB instant wake fixes to the DSDT. Have you ever seen a method to allow for proper USB sleep/wake? I'd like to understand more of the technical reasons behind why this doesn't work.

If you have instant wake, you need to use the appropriate _PRW patch to disable wake on USB.
No other way that I know of.

If you have instant wake, you need to use the appropriate _PRW patch to disable wake on USB.
No other way that I know of.

Do you have any insight as to why USB instant wakes the laptop? I'm interested in spending some time getting into the nuts and bolts to try to make it work properly.

Something mismatched with the way macOS handles the USB ports/controller.

After a lot of trial and error, it looks like my camera and touchscreen are waking up the USB controller. If I either turn them off in BIOS, or just don't inject their ports in SSDT, I can remove any instant wake patch, go to sleep, and wake the laptop up with either a keypress or mouse button click. Curiously the integrated Bluetooth does *not* instant wake the controller so I can leave it on (haven't tried waking with a Bluetooth keyboard yet).

Obviously I'd prefer to keep my camera and touchscreen on, so later today I'll be looking at using a utility (https://github.com/mvp/uhubctl), paired with sleepwatcher, to turn these two ports off/on at sleep/wake. Could there be a way to do this in ACPI instead?

After a lot of trial and error, it looks like my camera and touchscreen are waking up the USB controller.

It is typical.

Could there be a way to do this in ACPI instead?

I looked for a way to disable wake for specific ports before (by reading Intel chipset documentation), but didn't really find anything.

Back