Contribute
Register

[Guide] USB power property injection for Sierra (and later)

I ask questions 1 & 2 because I have more than one machine.

1) If I am using system definition iMac 14,2 which is listed in IOUSBHostFamily.kext am I correct in thinking that applying the config list patch is not needed if USB Power properties are working well for my build?

Not possible for any answer without "Problem Reporting" files as per post #1.

2) In the same scenario if there are some issues (such as some ports not delivering sufficient power for devices) will simply applying the config patch be sufficient?

It depends on whether you have an active EC or not. Many desktops will not have an EC at all, therefore will require SSDT-EC.aml instead.

3) I checked my ioreg and I have no USBX device listed - however my understanding of this article is that that would only be used if my system definition did not appear in IOUSBHostFamily.kext. My understanding of this post being that IOUSBHostFamily.kext will override settings for USBX if a listed system definition is used. Is that correct? Therefore no need to inject fake EC

Native USBX in ACPI would be unlikely with non-Apple hardware.
The conditions that lead to a need for USBX and/or fake EC are not related.
fake EC with SSDT-EC: needed when there is no EC in the system
USBX: needed when using newer SMBIOS (SMBIOS without power properties in IOUSBHostFamily).

Thanks for the prompt reply!
So an EC device is only necessary in Sierra, not in El Cap?

As per post #1, and the title of the thread, this change is in Sierra.
Adding EC will not have any effect on 10.11.x.

Right. Compiled SSDT-EC.aml, rebooting now.

I will let you know how it goes...
What's the story about the order of the SSDT files in Clover/ACPI/Patched? I've amassed quite a couple...

What's the story about the order of the SSDT files in Clover/ACPI/Patched? I've amassed quite a couple...

The content in those files have no order dependency.

Great guide! I appreciate the work you put into the scene, RehabMan! I made two individual files, SSDT-EC and SSDT-USBX instead of adding on USBX onto my SSDT-UIAC aml. Was there any specific reasoning you used to combine the two into SSDT-UIAC-USBX other than reducing the number of files in Clover/ACPI/patched? If so, is it possible to have the UIAC, EC, and USBX all as one SSDT?

Great guide! I appreciate the work you put into the scene, RehabMan! I made two individual files, SSDT-EC and SSDT-USBX instead of adding on USBX onto my SSDT-UIAC aml. Was there any specific reasoning you used to combine the two into SSDT-UIAC-USBX other than reducing the number of files in Clover/ACPI/patched? If so, is it possible to have the UIAC, EC, and USBX all as one SSDT?

Personally, I like to reduce the number of files. Lately, in my guides, I have started combining everything into a single SSDT (where possible).

Especially when I'm looking at someone's files after they followed one of my guides. With only a single (or few) files, it is easier for me to verify they have the correct set of files...

For some of my projects, I keep separate files in the project, but remove the DefinitionBlock wrapper and use #include to build the all-in-one SSDT (you will see that in my ProBook and NUC projects, for example). The end result in that case is a single (or just a few) SSDT.

Other repos just have everything copy/pasted into a single .dsl as those projects never used the separate files to begin with.

Back