Contribute
Register

Guide: Update OS X Mavericks to OS X Yosemite Using UniBeast and MultiBeast

Thank you everyone for the thread. I had read through and couldn't find too much help for my problem.

2 weeks ago my mother board fried and I had to get a new one ASAP. Originally I had a Gigabyte Z77 1155 chipset mobo. I was going to replace it but the specific mobo I had was so much more expensive than when I bought it and it was also not able to be delivered in time.

I decided to upgrade to a Gigabyte Z97X-UD7-TH with a processor to go with it. I rebuilt the system and got it moving.

Before my last mobo shorted out, I was running ML 10.8.5. I am currently using that SSD from my main machine to type this message from my macbook pro. I currently have no way of backing up my HDD.

I have a few simple (and probably stupid) questions. In the past, when I installed an OS over my previous OS it replaced all of the data with the new OS. All of my programs and such were gone. I just want to confirm that if I install Yosemite over ML, my applications and data will still be present in the next boot.

I had already removed the files that were suggested in the guide. I also edited org.chameleon.Boot.plist as said in the guide. I am about to follow the next steps on my macbook pro because when I boot this SSD on my hack, I can't access internet.

If anyone has any help or suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. I urgently need this computer up and running so I can render some animations that I made to projection map this black tie charity event this weekend. Thank you so much in advance.

-Mike

PS - sorry about the offensive name on here.. it is a band name

Okay. I didn't have time to waste. I was able to make a clone of my original SSD (thankfully) and so I installed Yosemite. I got Yosemite to boot with only 1x8GB stick of ram and working from the Intel Integrated Graphics.

I tried to install my EVGA GTX 660 Ti video card. I went into the BIOS settings and disabled Intel Integrated Graphics, Save & Exit, and now I am going through the forever boot loop. My computer never even gets to the motherboard BIOS entry screen. It just powers on then shuts off and then repeats that loop forever.

I could surely use some help with this issue. I will continue my research to resolve this as well.

Working on an upgrade from 10.9.x to 10.10.2.

When I rebooted normally and chose to boot from USB, I got the mach_kernel error.

I rebooted and switched my BIOS around and let the BIOS boot from USB, and then I got a kernel panic.

I turned the machine off and let it wait a minute or so and then tried again (BIOS boot to USB) and it seems to have worked.

After rebooting into Yosemite and running MultiBeast, I rebooted again without the USB. This time there's an Apple logo with an eternal progress bar underneath. It is advancing, just ridiculously slowly.

UPDATE: the progress bar eventually stopped moving altogether. Booting in safe mode worked OK. I ended up rebooting to safe single-user mode and removing some of the MultiBeast KEXTs I had installed. After that, I tried redoing the MultiBeast setup a little more carefully and it seems to have worked. I think it was an erroneous network driver that caused the problem.

Last edited:
Followed this guide and still get Cant find /mach_kernel. This is with Unibeast 5.1 not sure what im missing. Tried all the boot flags always get this error. Any help would be great.

Was able to finally get in by holding f12 down and then booting straight to usbhdd. Finally

"Laser S": does it work if you take out the video card? If you get up and running that way, what if you replace the video card and just plug your monitor into the video card and don't disable the onboard graphics?

However, when I had the never-ending reboot problem, it appeared to be a bad motherboard. Hopefully that's not your situation.

After lots of toying i finally got mine working great. had to do the 10.9.5 AppleACPIPlatform in multibeast but after that mine boots great. Thanks for the hard work

"Laser S": does it work if you take out the video card? If you get up and running that way, what if you replace the video card and just plug your monitor into the video card and don't disable the onboard graphics?

However, when I had the never-ending reboot problem, it appeared to be a bad motherboard. Hopefully that's not your situation.

Thank you for your response. It does work with just the onboard graphics. And it does not work with the video card in at all with any settings. I actually just replaced the motherboard with this current one. The video card was working in the old one but now it is not.

...I decided to upgrade to a Gigabyte Z97X-UD7-TH with a processor to go with it...
Laser, please put your system(s) in your signature block per the tonymacx86 Rules & Policies and update your Profile's current system information. By doing so, you help us help you better. :thumbup: TIA.

In your profile:
System: motherboard manufacturer/model
CPU: detailed CPU model (e.g., i7-4770K)
Graphics: Video card manufacturer/model and/or Intel Integrated Graphics version (e.g., HD4600)​
See my Profile items to the left of my post, under my name.

In your signature block, you only need to put your system(s) motherboard, processor and graphics card/method manufacturer model #. You can do this manually or use the automated procedure, both in your profile.

Laser: If you're stuck in a boot loop where you never even get to the BIOS, and everything works OK without the video card, could it be that the video card is bad? I'm no expert, but if you never even get to the BIOS, I don't see how your OS X install could be responsible for the problem. If you take the SSD out, do you still get the boot loop? If so, it couldn't possibly be the OS X install causing the issue.

Back