Contribute
Register

Guide: Update OS X Mavericks to OS X Yosemite Using UniBeast and MultiBeast

I was having issues upgrading and thought I'd pass along the info in case anyone is running into the same problem. During install my computer was kernel panic and shut off after about 10 minutes in the installation. After a couple hours I gave up and went to bed. The next morning everything installed fine.

The take away is if you are having a kernel panic and immediately shutting off then your computer is probably over heating. Let it cool down completely and try again.

GA-B75M-D3P, i7-3770 system updated directly from Mountain Lion with no issues. Took awhile, but smooth sailing all the way through. Many thanks for the clear instructions, as always!

Save all of your settings, files, apps, etc... by following this simple guide to upgrade OS X Mavericks to OS X Yosemite.

1. Boot OS X Mavericks
2. Remove /Extra/modules/FileNVRAM.dylib if present
3. Remove /System/Library/Extensions/GenericUSBXHCI.kext if present
4. Edit /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist to remove the following 2 lines if present:

View attachment 107204

Just started my upgrade following this method and when I go to boot into the USB drive wit Yosemite, I get a grey screen with the following message.

Can't find /mach_kernel
Press any key to continue ...

When I hit the key, it takes me back to the "Choose your OS" screen.

Ideas?

Disregard prior post. I never got it to boot properly by switching in the standard bootloader. Instead, I switched the BIOS to boot directly from the USB and that sorted it out. Everything else went off without a hitch.

when the installation of Yosemite start the monitor turns off and there is no video signal :crazy:

what is the problem guys?

EDIT: resolved

Last edited:
I almost gave up. I have no idea, but the installer always holds after the Apple load screen shows up. I also tried it on another machine and there it loads 50% and then screen turns black.
Board: Gigabyte x79-ud5, BIOS 12, with gtx 560ti
Also tried different USB ports. Like USB 2.0 USB 3.0 etc..

also tried different loader settings like: -v -x -f and all I got was a hold after PCI configuration

Have you tried the 10.9.5 rollback kext within MB. See attached. This was a solution for my other mobo. I actually didn't have any issues upgrading on my X79 UD3 mobo. Make sure you removed the kexts and files as per the instructions (if upgrading). The following is my plist. Everything is working fine although I seem to be having an issue where the computer is not releasing my "file cache" This is a problem that I have had in the past but was resolved by booting in safe mode and then restarting. Let me know if there is anything else you find out. This cache issue is very annoying.

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>IGPEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>npci=0x2000 kext-dev-mode=1</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>HDEFLayoutID</key>
<string>01000000</string>
<key>HDAEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>

Attachments

• Screenshot 2014-12-19 10.35.16.jpg
    Screenshot 2014-12-19 10.35.16.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 184
Thanks.. followed your instruction. Did not work.
Also got me a brand new USB stick and still the same result.
Once the monitor get grey and the logo appears it stops.

I don't really think it has to do with the installed Os, I also tried an empty harddrive. Still it stops...

Checked the BIOS, all ok, all in the way it should and latest update.

have you tried to boot with the graphics card? Also, I have had luck doing clean installs. Then taking the HDD out of the computer and ran MB using another computer (HDD enclosure) then reinserting in the computer and seeing if it starts. If you had the computer up and running with 10.8.5 you can always carbon copy that back on your HDD and then try the update method as per the tonymac instructions. You have to be careful not to install TRIM until you disable the necessary settings using Trim Enabler.

Back