Contribute
Register

Guide: Update OS X Mavericks to OS X Yosemite Using UniBeast and MultiBeast

I upgraded to yosemite, but how can I accelerate my ATI radeon 7850? Help please.
Thanks in advance

Things worked great when I followed driftwoodtv's advice for the missing mach_kernel issue. I used the BIOS boot selector (F12) instead of the Unibeast one and everything worked perfectly.

1st try I got the error where the kernel wasn't found on my USB Unibeast. I added these lines to the chameleon boot plist:
Code:
[COLOR=#000000]<key>Kernel</key>
[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][COLOR=#000000]<string>[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][COLOR=#000000]/System/Library/Kernels/kernel[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][COLOR=#000000]</string>[/COLOR][/COLOR]

That got rid of the error but when attempting to boot I'd get a blank grey (with a gradient) screen and then after about 30 seconds the machine would reboot.

Finally, saw Freelander's post and gave it a try. F12 into bios on start, selected my Yosemite USB, and if booted.

Yosemite is installing and I'm crossing my fingers.

EDIT #1

Success! Yosemite is installed and running. After the install was complete and before I rebooted to the USB, I had a dark grey screen. It just sat there so I reset and went to the BIOS select for boot disk again and chose the disk I installed Yosemite on. It booted to a grey screen with the Apple logo and a progress bar, then another screen with a smaller progress bar in the bottom left corner. Finally I got the login screen and am not running the new OS for the 1st time.

Time to run Multibeast...

EDIT #2
I'm not sure which driver is supposed to work with my wifi card. I have a wireless PCIe Card BGN AR5BHB92 AR9280. Anyone know which driver I use with this? I seem to remember I bought it because it could use Atheros drivers.

It looks like the audio drivers I need are there and I added the extra FakeSMC stuff. Plus NVIDIA had an update for my GT650Ti. So I'm about to restart and see if everything is still smooth.

EDIT #3 Final note:
It seems like restarts and startups sometimes get hung up. If I reset it eventually starts up and lets me log in. Other than that everything seems to work fine. I didn't select an ethernet driver but the ethernet works so the drivers in Mavericks must work with my card.

Thank's for the guide! I'm have an issue, and I'd love some tips.

I removed the files and lines as shown.
When I setup up unibeast it installs, but it creates another file called " installer.failurerequests" on the USB. System doesn't see the USB on boot, meaning the BIOS or Chimera .

If the "failurerepquests" file in removed from the drive, it sees the USB and I boot. But when I try to select the us I get the following: "can't find mach_kernal". Wont boot into installer.

I have yet to find a solution. Much appreciated!!

Thank's for the guide! I'm have an issue, and I'd love some tips.

I removed the files and lines as shown.
When I setup up unibeast it installs, but it creates another file called "installer.failurerequests" on the USB. System doesn't see the USB on boot, meaning the BIOS or Chimera .

If the "failurerepquests" file in removed from the drive, it sees the USB and I boot. But when I try to select the us I get the following: "can't find mach_kernal". Wont boot into installer.

I have yet to find a solution. Much appreciated!!

As mentioned by Fly1ngSquid: try changing the Kernel string to the correct directory (or if you removed it add it back), like so:

Code:
[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]<key>Kernel</key>[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][COLOR=#000000]<string>[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][COLOR=#000000]/System/Library/Kernels/kernel[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][COLOR=#000000]</string>[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]

That fixed the "Can't find mach_kernel" error for me. And remember you are making these changes on your Unibeast/Yosemite install USB disk not your current Mavericks startup disk. Then if it's not starting up from your USB, try selecting it as the start up from BIOS.

Ok great. To be honest I'm not sure how to make those changes on the USB installer. In the guide it shows that you edit/remove these files and lines first thing, when you boot into mavericks. Also, should I keep or trash the "installer.failurerequests" file that unibeast puts on the USB? Still not sure why it keeps making that. Thanks for your help.

I just upgraded my system to Yosemite. I first did 10.10.0 and had no ethernet functionality. Hardware saw it but said cable was unplugged. I used Multibeast to restore my original settings (with addition of auto updated bootloader etc.) Then I tried the different kexts for my MB ethernet driver (Originally wasnt using any) And... I added trim support. Bad idea. hung at the boot screen with status bar half way. I then recreated the USB Yosemite loader using 10.10.1 and reloaded Yosemite from the USB drive following the instructions in this thread. (No trim support added, I have a Samsung 840 SSD for main boot drive) worked like a champ I am good to go! I read in a couple threads about the hung boot screens and the thought it was linked to the trim support. Not sure if that was my issue or not.

Thanks Tony and Crew,

Loving my Hack -- Jules

So far so good on Z77 UP5-TH (which I've been running since Mountain Lion).

First attempt didn't work. I got stuck at the grey screen with the no smoking sign. Re-installed, rebooted from UniBeast and ran MultiBeast, deleted 3rd party Sata kext from /Extra, repaired & rebuilt kext caches in /Extra and /S/L/E, rebooted, cool!

I had to reconfigure my sound prefs to my audio interface, as they had reset to internal, no big deal.

Also, the boot time is very slow. Will look into this.

Otherwise, it seems to be working great!

Success! Gigabyte x79-ud5 3930k

Here is a successful boot flag combo for..

Gigabyte x79-ud5 mobo
Intel i7 3930k
G.Skill Ripjaws X 1866Mhz (XMP)
Nvidia 640GT
Samsung 840 Evo 500GB SSD

-v npci=0x2000 UseKernelCache=No GraphicsEnabler=No PCIRootUID=0 cpus=1 maxmem=4096

After the installation finishes you will have to reboot. Boot from the Yosemite USB stick again with the same flags, but remove the "UseKernelCache=No" flag.

After booting into your desktop you should patch things up with MultiBeast so that you can boot with all of your CPU cores using the Voodoo kexts and don't forget to enable trim!.

Cheers!

Ok great. To be honest I'm not sure how to make those changes on the USB installer. In the guide it shows that you edit/remove these files and lines first thing, when you boot into mavericks. Also, should I keep or trash the "installer.failurerequests" file that unibeast puts on the USB? Still not sure why it keeps making that. Thanks for your help.

When you boot into Mavericks, just plug in the USB installer. It should show up on your desktop, open it. It has system files like a regular OSX startup disk so go to: Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist. Right click it and choose Open With... pick textedit if you don't have a specific editor you use. Textwrangler is a decent free code editor too. Then you can edit the file and save it.

Having a hell of a time getting Yosemite to work.

I successfully completed an upgrade install a few days back. I ran Multibeast and everything seemed fine - minus the sound.

I also updated the computer to the latest NVIDA graphics drivers.

I did a restart and since then, I haven't been able to boot and keep getting the "No Root Device" found.

In an earlier attempt to reinstall Yosemite (one of the few occasions I was able to get into the Yosemite install), only the USB drive showed up as the install location.

This was the first sign something was amiss.

At first the computer would load and eventually give me the "no smoking" sign after boot.

Now I can't even get that far and eventually the screen goes black.

Thinking it could be a multi part problem involving my video card (using a DVI connection) and something amiss with the boot sequence.

I've read through hundreds of posts and tried many variables -v -x -f but nothing will let me get into Yosemite.

Attached is a screenshot of the latest error.

I also tried removing my 560Ti Video card and booting using the motherboards video. If trying to do a hard drive boot I get the no smoking sign. When trying to boot into the USB Yosemite install i get in but the screen is totally garbled.

Using the "GraphicsEnabler=Yes IPGEnabler=Yes" does not correct the issue

Using "-v -x -f GraphicsEnabler=Yes PCIRootUID=1" i am able to get into the Yosemite install but the SSD Yosemite was earlier installed on is not listed as an install destination so I'm still at square one.

When doing "diskutil list" in Yosemite installer terminal the SSD drive (or my secondary Western Digital drive do not appear listed).

Any help is HUGELY appreciated!

20141126_122713.jpg

Attachments

• 20141126_122713.jpg
    20141126_122713.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 141
Back