Contribute
Register

Guide: Update OS X Mavericks to OS X Yosemite Using UniBeast and MultiBeast

Hi experts:

I am still on Lion and largely considering the jump to Yosemite. Will this method work as well, or anyone tried my case?

Hello guys!

Do you think it'll work on a notebook?
Thank you in advance!

finally got it to work. just had to use another usb-stick, everything works perfect :D

story before that:
donwloaded yosemite image on my hackintosh and created unibeast on the same machine.
first installation failed with the Essentials.pkg error. tried no-zp flag as suggested in another thread, no luck.
see http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop-support/143834-anybody-essentials-pkg-error.html

after that i couldnt get to install screen anymore. stuck at the grey screen with apple logo, progress bar always stopped at 50%. no matter which boot parameters i gave it ( tried all combinations of -x -v- f -UseKernelChache=0 ...) or which usb port i used.

copied the yosemite image to my macbook with mavericks and installed yosemite there without a problem, so the image is fine. created new unibeast installer on my macbook with a different usb-stick.

boot from stick without any flags, installation finally went through and my system works as it used to.

Hi Everyone,

I would like to thank tonymac for all of your hard work. But, I am having the same problem as many others. Once MultiBeast is installed I can not boot into Yosemite. I have read all 356 reply's to this thread and I have tried many of the suggestions. I can boot into Yosemite with the UniBeast USB and my system works fine. Sound is not an issue, because I am using a USB sound card. When I run MultiBeast and only add the boot loader the system just constantly reboots. My question is what is used to boot the UniBeast USB? Would there be a way to use this boot loader. Maybe there is something going with Chimera. Thanks.

Interesting since I have the same concern as above here.

I am only able to boot form USB stick onto the HDD. I have been tinkering around but no luck. I was wondering what logs I can upload which would assist in determining the issue. So far, everything work with the exception of the iMessage, however if I reboot several times , there will be that instance where it will not go past USBM while booting in -v , leading me to reinstall Yosemite for the nth time.

What logs can I supply?

Thanks,

Dali

Interesting since I have the same concern as above here.

I am only able to boot form USB stick onto the HDD. I have been tinkering around but no luck. I was wondering what logs I can upload which would assist in determining the issue. So far, everything work with the exception of the iMessage, however if I reboot several times , there will be that instance where it will not go past USBM while booting in -v , leading me to reinstall Yosemite for the nth time.

What logs can I supply?

Thanks,

Dali

Here's what I had to do that did work. Download the separate Chimera installer and use it to install the boot loader. MultiBeast has some sort of problem installing it properly or at all despite being checked.

If you still have a problem, then try the fix here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/25-boot0-error-official-guide.html

Last edited:
Try this:
- boot with <key>Kernel Flags</key> <string>kext-dev-mode=1</string>

- rebuid cache sudo kextcache -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

Something like this should be displayed "kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakeSMC.kext"

- reboot and see if it's working

This worked for me. Thanks!

Thanks.

Yes attempted this earlier in my troubleshooting and just tried again. The boot to HDD process cannot get past "decompressing kernel cache lvzn" it then loops with another boot attempt. The only successful way for me to boot is via booting from USB. At times there is a chimera\chameleon GUI image of both the HDD and USB drive with a RED drive light, wondering if the means anything at all to the supporting audience. I really would like to stay away from a new install.

Thanks,
Dali

Thanks.

Yes attempted this earlier in my troubleshooting and just tried again. The boot to HDD process cannot get past "decompressing kernel cache lvzn" it then loops with another boot attempt. The only successful way for me to boot is via booting from USB. At times there is a chimera\chameleon GUI image of both the HDD and USB drive with a RED drive light, wondering if the means anything at all to the supporting audience. I really would like to stay away from a new install.

Thanks,
Dali

For the record also tried the below with NO success:

Petes-Mac-Pro-2:~ petegonzalez$ sudo kextcache -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions
Password:
kext file:///System/Library/Extensions/RealtekRTL81xx.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load
kext file:///System/Library/Extensions/PowerGadgetDriver.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load
kext file:///System/Library/Extensions/NullCPUPowerManagement.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load
kext file:///System/Library/Extensions/JMicronATA.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext GenericUSBXHCI.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakeSMC.kext
kext file:///System/Library/Extensions/EvOreboot.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load
kext file:///System/Library/Extensions/ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load
kext file:///System/Library/Extensions/BoomDevice.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load
kext file:///System/Library/Extensions/BJUSBLoad.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67030 0xFFFFFF

Back