Contribute
Register

Guide: Update OS X Mavericks to OS X Yosemite Using UniBeast and MultiBeast

Hi Everyone,

I would like to thank tonymac for all of your hard work. But, I am having the same problem as many others. Once MultiBeast is installed I can not boot into Yosemite. I have read all 356 reply's to this thread and I have tried many of the suggestions. I can boot into Yosemite with the UniBeast USB and my system works fine. Sound is not an issue, because I am using a USB sound card. When I run MultiBeast and only add the boot loader the system just constantly reboots. My question is what is used to boot the UniBeast USB? Would there be a way to use this boot loader. Maybe there is something going with Chimera. Thanks.

Hi All, i am a complete noob to the hackintosh world.. Someone installed Mavericks, but i wanted to update to Yosemite, and i followed the guide of the first post here. Everything went fine, until the point where i have to boot up again and select my SSD harddisk and then it just stops and doesnt do anything anymore.. See attached image.
IMG_2567.JPG

Please help me! What can i do now? I need my computer for work!

Anyone else having issues booting after installing all the drivers on Multibeast?? Ive had to reinstall Yosemite 3 times now because after i use multibeast i get stuck at boot up, just see the apple icon with the bar underneath loading
Depending on your mobo you might want to try using 10.9.5 AppleACPIPlatform Rollback option from Multibeast 7.

seriously think this version of multbeast is broken...anyone else have the sames issues??
Of course. I fixed mine using Audio from previous versions of Multibeast (6.5). Also, sometimes audio doesn't come up by itself - you have to play with different outputs in System Prefs > Audio.

i have a Z87M-D3H and it keeps kernel panicking any ideas? I've updated the bios it runs Mavericks fine but it won't boot Yosemite

I managed to boot with -f
i think the

Code:
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
    <string>kext-dev-mode=1</string>

Is giving the panic. Anyways not nearly as stable as mavericks.

This is a newbie question. When Step 6 says:

6. Boot from USB and install OS X Yosemite over your existing Mavericks installation

How do you install OS X Yosemite? I created a bootable Unibeast USB and when I boot into Unibeast it takes me to OS X Installer. Am I supposed to put Yosemite on the USB and install it that way?

This is a newbie question. When Step 6 says:
6. Boot from USB and install OS X Yosemite over your existing Mavericks installation

How do you install OS X Yosemite? I created a bootable Unibeast USB and when I boot into Unibeast it takes me to OS X Installer. Am I supposed to put Yosemite on the USB and install it that way?
Just do not wipe the disk before installing Yosemite. On the installer window simply continue and install Yosemite to the same hd partition where your Mavericks is installed.
Overwise, if you wish to do a clean install (and have your files etc backed up) then on the main screen first go to Utilities > Disk Utility, select your hd/partition and erase it. Then continue to OS X installation.

Hello,

I updated from 10.9.5 to 10.10.0 on a machine having a gigabyte ga-z87x-oc mainboard.
It seems like the audio is not working. I usually installed Realtek ALC892 on previous versions of OSX (via multibeast). Now with the current version of multibeast (7.0.1) it seems like ALC892 doesn't work in my case...

Should I try a different driver?
Should I uninstall something first?

Another problem I have is that my external USB2.0 drive is not recognized anymore while my iPod and another USB dongle (the one I used for Unibeast) seem to work flawlessly. I installed USB3.0-Universal but nothing changed...

[EDIT: after a few reboots it seems there is no problem with my external drive anymore]

[EDIT2: actually there is no problem with sound!!! I just had to go to system preference/sound and manually select "internal speakers" in the "output" tab.... No idea why this isn't the default but now I CAN HEAR SOUND :D]

Thank you very much for your help.
Best,
-a-

Last edited:
I updated according to the guide, but the root disk was not found. Using -f helped. After a couple of times it works and I don't need to put it in the chameleon.plist.

Everything works and Nvidia web dirvers got updated almost automatically. No CUDA yet but I don't care.

However GPU fans run at full speed and core/memory clock don't get lowered, even if idling.
Web drivers are being used.

I found no solution, so be careful and maybe wait some weeks before updating.

Got everything working accept for one annoying detail. My bluetooth mouse will not operate at the OSX login screen. It comes to life after I login.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

UP5-TH updated as described and worked almost 100% out of the box. Only thing that did not work was sound after sleep but got that sorted out with this:http://www.tomsick.net/projects/antipop.html

I feel that shutdown/restart is very slow. Sometimes it takes 3 min before the computer shuts down. Maybe this will change once spotlight has finished...

EDIT: For multibeast I did the whole enchilada: I installed everything like explained in the "start-from-scratch"-guide including trim and not only the two items in this guide. When I only check the 2, my system will not start.

EDIT 2: shutdown times have returned to normal by removing parallels 7 from my system.

Back