Contribute
Register

Guide: Update OS X Mavericks to OS X Yosemite Using UniBeast and MultiBeast

Any help on this. Been at it for the last 7 hours (yes) and looked through dozens of posts re:
Can't find /mach_kernel
I have an SSD w/ 2 partitions
1 Mtn Lion - works fine
2 Yosemite - only works with USB key and even then freezes up on me sometimes.

There are so many posts on this and none of the suggested fixes have worked for me.
I have MultiBeast 7.5. There's no .plist entries to remove and I have no idea what else to try.
Chimera v2.2.1 r2248

Please help!

My system is GA-X58A-UD3R running 10.8.5 . When I boot from the usb it says cannot find mach_kernel. I deleted this lines in /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist:
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>

But Yosemite displays still the same error "Can't find mach_kernel" so I can't reach the installer.
Regards.

Sorry i never update from mavericks to yosemite, i save all the data and i install from the start yosemite and no problem.

Hello everyone,

My system is a Mac Pro 1,1 with Mountain Lion 10.7.5 and the following specs:
Processor 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Memory 17 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB
Hard disks 1 SSD 250 GB and 2 RAID 1TB each

I tried everything mentioned in the first post of this thread but I am unable to boot from the USB stick inspite of adding the following lines:
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>PCIRootUID</key>
<string>1</string>

Could someone help me please?

Hello everyone,

My system is a Mac Pro 1,1 with Mountain Lion 10.7.5 and the following specs:
Processor 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Memory 17 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB
Hard disks 1 SSD 250 GB and 2 RAID 1TB each

I tried everything mentioned in the first post of this thread but I am unable to boot from the USB stick inspite of adding the following lines:
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>PCIRootUID</key>
<string>1</string>

Could someone help me please?
The first thread is making a UniBeast created USB installation thumb driver for PC's. It will not install on a Mac Pro. If you are trying to install Yosemite on a MP 1,1, then I recommend you look for how to upgrade a 1,1 to a 2,1 at the MacRumor's Mac Pro forum section > http://forums.macrumors.com/forums/mac-pro.1/

The first thread is making a UniBeast created USB installation thumb driver for PC's. It will not install on a Mac Pro. If you are trying to install Yosemite on a MP 1,1, then I recommend you look for how to upgrade a 1,1 to a 2,1 at the MacRumor's Mac Pro forum section > http://forums.macrumors.com/forums/mac-pro.1/

Thanks a lot for your response.
Is the upgrade to the 2,1 necessary? I have found a few tutorials on upgrading to Yosemite on 1,1. None of them so far have worked though. I feel it has something to do with my hardware. The odd memory that I have - 17GB and the particular slots they have been installed in. What do you think?

Thanks a lot for your response.
Is the upgrade to the 2,1 necessary? I have found a few tutorials on upgrading to Yosemite on 1,1. None of them so far have worked though. I feel it has something to do with my hardware. The odd memory that I have - 17GB and the particular slots they have been installed in. What do you think?
This is way Off Topic for this thread. If you are trying install Yosemite on your MP1,1, you need to update your MP1,1 firmware (32bit) to 2,1 (64bit), period. See the MacRumor's Mac Pro forum section for a thread that walks you through the update.

If you are trying to run UniBeast to make a USB Installation thumb drive, then you need to use UniBeast for Yosemite. But, you can not install Yosemite on a MP1,1 without first upgrading the Mac Pro's firmware to MP2,1.

This is way Off Topic for this thread. If you are trying install Yosemite on your MP1,1, you need to update your MP1,1 firmware (32bit) to 2,1 (64bit), period. See the MacRumor's Mac Pro forum section for a thread that walks you through the update.

If you are trying to run UniBeast to make a USB Installation thumb drive, then you need to use UniBeast for Yosemite. But, you can not install Yosemite on a MP1,1 without first upgrading the Mac Pro's firmware to MP2,1.

Stork, thanks for you response. I updated the firmware to 2,1 and the system report still shows me that it does not support 64-bit kernels. Anyway, do you think I can now use UniBeast on this 2,1 firmware to get my system to run Yosemite?

No. As stated before, UniBeast is for PCs only. You are best off using the MacRumors and Netkas.org forums for help in installing Yosemite on a real Mac Pro 2,1.

Good luck! :thumbup:

Need some help.

I am upgrading on a drive called "Mavericks"

I reached step 6. After the "Installing on "Mavericks"" progress bar reaches 100%, what is supposed to happen? For me the machine automatically rebooted without any action to further setup the install. Upon that reboot, I received mach kernel errors when going back into the "Mavericks" drive. Is that normal? Or should it go into further install steps for me to complete the computer setup?

Back