Contribute
Register

Guide: Update OS X Mavericks to OS X Yosemite Using UniBeast and MultiBeast

I did two installations (same GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK, 2XSamsung SSD) on the same machine but two drives.
I followed the installation instructions EXACTLY in both installations, those being:
1) Clean install on one SSD, and
2) upgrade from Mavericks to Yosemite on the other SSD.
Both were succesful and the only minor problems encountered were USB ports...some not working on the clean install, all working on the upgrade.
So all I can add to this discussion is to follow the instructions and be patient. It all works!
Good luck and thanks to tony for not jumping the gun on the beta versions but having the UB and MB ready and available hours after the official release.

Im having issues getting my audio to work (ALC892) and only a select few usb ports are functioning. ive installed the USB3 drivers and the audio driver.

Thanks for the link, but I've never had any need for it in the past. I've installed Mavericks on five SSDs in this machine and Mountain Lion before that. It's the same hardware. The referenced link is from 2012, and I've never seen this issue before.

I will give it a go, but I'm not holding out for it to be successful. Will let your know if it is.

Thanks,

Steve

Seems in "UniBeast" not working "Legacy USB Support"
I try create flash drive using "UniBeast" with and not "Legacy USB Support" flag
In both cases on boot computer it freezes or hangs where motherboard screen!!!
Turn off usb flash drive or disable "Legacy storage support" in BIOS helps.
Hmm, but nothing to install.
Motherboard: GA-P55-UD3L rev. 2.0 ver. FI

Upgraded my mavericks.

With my configuratin i was able to boot only from usb (unibeast) and in verbose mode. Very strange... ?!?

Now i made a quick start configuration with multibeast and my dsdt, but boot (from usb and aldo from hdd) stuck at

mbinit done 96 mb total pool size (64/32) split

I came from a perfect 10.9.5 hachintosh. Than good bios, dsdt, smbios and boot.plist...

Ga p55a-ud4

i tried all that i know...
Please any help?

SOLVED: for my mobo I need to install the 10.9.5 rollback AppleACPIPlatform.kext. I hope for a quick fix for Messages. In meanwhile I deleted the FileNVRAM. I don't want to migrate to Clover to solve the issue...

This does not work. First, the Yosemite installer converts the target drive into a core storage volume so there is no output file destination such as disk0s2. There is only disk0. The Yosemite installer does not install either a boot file or a mach_kernel file. Makes me wonder if something isn't missing.

I'm installing on an OCZ 120 GB SSD. I also don't understand why Chimera designates the volume as RAID.

Steve

With or without "kext-dev-mode=1" FakeSMC isn't loaded from KernelCache and "still waiting for root device" error occurs.
I have to boot with "UseKernelCache=No" or Kernel Flag "-f".
Has someone else found a solution for this problem?

bogdanw I fixed this problem by following the information on

http://www.tonymacx86.com/apple-news-rumors/143655-os-x-yosemite-now-available-mac-app-store.html

"Older systems with AWARD BIOS may need to roll back AppleACPIPlatform.kext to the 10.9.5 version. This includes all 6 Series and X58 Gigabyte motherboards."

I used my AppleACPIPlatform.kext from timemachine and replaced the kext.

Reboot and everything worked like a charm. =)

PS: I don't know which motherboard you own, mine is z68MA-d3h-b3

Smooth upgrade from Mav to Yos.

Just followed the instructions to the letter (Redid USB drive as I made it with unibeast 5.0.0 then read that 5.0.1 fixed an issue)

Intel 3570k
Gigabyte z77mx-d3h
MSI 560 Twin Frozr 1024mb
8gb ram.

Just need to work out the audio as this stupid board uses the Via VT2012 chip.

So if anyone has this working under Yos, please let me know. As I had it working on 10.9 but then it started to stuff up and gave me KP's.

I have been trying to upgrade Mavericks to Yosemite with partial success after what seemed interminable failures.

1. Of the 8 USB ports I have, only 3 USB3 ports work on the motherboard and none of the USB2. That's what threw me when I couldn't use the keyboard and the mouse. Just keep trying them until your mouse "lights up"

2. I was getting an error on boot: "Error encountered while starting up the computer. Pausing 5 seconds"
I trawled the net and found this to fix it:
In Terminal run this: sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture i386
Afterwards run Repair Disk Permissions in Disk utility.
Reboot.
I am not smart enough to know how, but it sure fixed the error.

Although the machine starts and SEEMS Ok, I'm not really convinced this will be the end of problems.

odd that some are running into issues since UB 5.0 worked fine for me.

I see in the instructions you have us removing FileNVRAM- what are the repercussions of this? is there no iMessage support in 10.10 at this point?

Thanks,
g\

Back